camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2010 Tour Dates

Go down 
+11
snowdroplets
inkling23
Hogs
CristianisDaMan
graeme
blurecu
theboywho
derek
Pete
tonybolony
paul
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
derek

derek

2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm

I think NYC would be a perfect place to hold Obscura-Fest!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm

paul wrote:
...Strangers must have been on the 7" only, until the Special Edition CD came out, which Pete and I have. So, if you'd like a Flac copy of the track, rather than that lossy iTunes MP3 version, I can very well oblige. Smile
thanks Paul! i bought it thru iTunes and it came in m4a format which i was led to believe it IS a lossless format... i checked wiki and the article there seems to confirm it... is that not correct? it doesnt really matter tho since i am millimetres away from buying that australian edition - i cant stand not having "real" copies and i got "tougher", "I Can't Stay Mad At You" and "strangers" all from iTunes so its worth my while to get that special edition...
tanks tho!
tony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:22 pm

derek wrote:
I think NYC would be a perfect place to hold Obscura-Fest!
yes they have tons a fans there... prob more so than here thats for sure (sad but true).. but i think that kind of show could be held on antarctica and i would find a way to go!!
paul wrote:
it could just be us forum dwellers who show up. Well that's why we're paying $500 a ticket, right?
yessir!! but since we're so devoted (obsessed?) maybe it would only be $400..
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:31 pm

I think you're right Tony... maybe not Antarctica... but somewhere in the middle of nowhere, so that we can avoid being surrounded by Brooklyn hipsters.

My dad's hometown in Indiana where he runs a B&B would be perfect! We'd even have a great place for CO to stay. I must arrange a meeting between them all when they play Cincy in June.

But no matter where the place... let's get this going. I'm down. Let's start convincing the band!
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 pm

tonybolony wrote:
paul wrote:
...Strangers must have been on the 7" only, until the Special Edition CD came out, which Pete and I have. So, if you'd like a Flac copy of the track, rather than that lossy iTunes MP3 version, I can very well oblige. :)
thanks Paul! i bought it thru iTunes and it came in m4a format which i was led to believe it IS a lossless format... i checked wiki and the article there seems to confirm it... is that not correct? it doesnt really matter tho since i am millimetres away from buying that australian edition - i cant stand not having "real" copies and i got "tougher", "I Can't Stay Mad At You" and "strangers" all from iTunes so its worth my while to get that special edition...
tanks tho!
tony

m4a is just a "container", rather than a format itself - it's Apple's proprietary music file that can store lossless audio codecs as well as lossy. I'm pretty certain that if you bought an m4a from iTunes, they sold you a lossless version, as they sell mp3 for everything else ever since they dropped the DRM. (I could be wrong about that, though, I don't use iTunes) Easiest way to check is to see how large the file on your harddrive is. If it's under 10 megabytes, it's definitely lossy. The flac one I ripped from the CD is 23mb, I'd expect the m4a to be somewhere around that.

Besides, if you can't tell the difference yourself, I'd hardly worry about being lossy or lossless. I can only when I jack up the stereo or am listening in a dead quiet office with headphones.

If you can still find the special CD, I'd definitely snatch it up. As well as "Strangers", it's got "Blue Heaven", the Jim Noir remix, "Blizzard", and "Tougher than the Rest" ... also, and though this is hardly a reason to buy a new copy, the digipak is slightly better designed.

"Can't Stay Mad At You" is the only B-side I'm missing from the "New & Improved!" Camera Obscura. Ordering it on 7" from the official store next week, as well as some other non-music merchandise. They dropped the shipping price to the US, so it's not an absurd amount of money anymore.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

paul wrote:
...Easiest way to check is to see how large the file on your harddrive is. If it's under 10 megabytes, it's definitely lossy. The flac one I ripped from the CD is 23mb, I'd expect the m4a to be somewhere around that
well - the wiki article said that its a compressed form of lossless... the file size is 7.84megs so its prob not completely lossless...but as i say, i have the need for the real stuff sitting on my shelf!

paul wrote:
..."Can't Stay Mad At You" is the only B-side I'm missing from the "New & Improved!" Camera Obscura. Ordering it on 7" from the official store next week, as well as some other non-music merchandise. They dropped the shipping price to the US, so it's not an absurd amount of money anymore.
reeeeeeallly?? ... mosy on over there now...
tnks!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

derek wrote:
I think you're right Tony... maybe not Antarctica... but somewhere in the middle of nowhere, so that we can avoid being surrounded by Brooklyn hipsters.

My dad's hometown in Indiana where he runs a B&B would be perfect! We'd even have a great place for CO to stay. I must arrange a meeting between them all when they play Cincy in June.

But no matter where the place... let's get this going. I'm down. Let's start convincing the band!

sounds like a plan! Indiana is only...11 hours drive or so!! peanuts to see CO exclusive! Very Happy
oh and thanks again for all the NY tips... another question tho - any good breakfast places in Times Square area? we're just yer average bacon n egg kinda folk so a nice diner or something... any hints?
Tony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:11 pm

derek wrote:
If you like Italian... it's kind of touristy... but if you go to Times Square, the ONE decent place (well, this place and Carnegie Deli...) to eat there is Carmine's. It's a family style italian place. you and your wife could easily split a main course...
it looks as tho we will go to Carmine's whilest we do a walking tour of the area before the show...split on one of those meals - sounds good! i'll be content to take a pic of the Carnegie Deli (i think i know it most from Adam Sandler's hannukah song...eek! haha).. and we'll do the ferry to Staten Island and grabba lunch or something there... i think what we really want to do is not necessarily see/eat at the "best" place but the places the typical NYer goes on a daily basis... y'know, like you've been to some great places but where do you go when you just want good eats or something fun to see... like, where do YOU go?? we'll walk by the Empire State bldg, Grand Central and Times Square...try to get to Central Park... we might have time to see a show (not on broadway maybe but something cheaper and just as good - i see some websites for that).. anyhow thanks for all these tips again man!
tony
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:25 pm

hey tony... lemme think a little. i live in Astoria, queens (just over the bridge from Manhattan), so I really spend a lot of time there. but I'm sure I can think of a few things like you're looking for. too busy at work today to think though!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 pm

anyone here been to any of the shows the past few weeks?? i know Paul has but wonderin how the rest of this lil tour is goin... feel free to post up! Smile
bolony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 pm

found a nice little review this morn to feed my addiction...
http://www.soundcheckmagazine.com/reviews/concert-reviews/1966-review-photos-camera-obscura-lincoln-hall-chicago-04052010
nice quote that goes along with dr.k's "Camera Obscura Crowd Behaviour" thread about the calm-ness of the crowd...
Quote :
The sold out crowd went from swaying to dancing with Campbell even smiling for accompaniment throughout the night as if to encourage her fans to enjoy themselves even more. This certainly represented a bit of a changed mood from previous times Camera Obscura have played Chicago and one with an element of wistful mirth as well
nice to read that "world is full of strangers" was on setlist again!
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm

tonybolony wrote:
nice to read that "world is full of strangers" was on setlist again!

I hope they're still playing it when they get around to New York!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

for sure - glad to see it again and i too hope its on NY show (still waitin on tickets in the mail...). found another review of the Chicago show which sounded quite good...
http://eyegunk.wordpress.com/
Quote :
Early in the evening, guitarist Kenny McKeeve asked if Monday was hangover night, to which the answer was, “Every night is hangover night in Scotland.”
ahh those family gatherings of mine make so much sense now... whats wrong with an all-nighter on hump-day huh?!
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I was just about to put the setlist from Chicago on setlist.fm, and I see that you've already done it, tony!

Where'd you get the Lawrence, KS setlist from? Did they really not play "world is full of strangers" there?
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm

i found it from a blogger (that i invited here too as he seems to adore the band) who went to the show...
here's the link to his "Bacon is my anitdrug" blog site...
http://baconismyantidrug.com/?tag=camera-obscura
an yeah, strangers was strangely missing...
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 6:46 pm

tonybolony wrote:
i found it from a blogger (that i invited here too as he seems to adore the band) who went to the show...

Looks like Swans replaced it on that night, which I must admit, I missed hearing myself...my favorite track from Maudlin. But Strangers is one of those rare ones they'll probably stop playing after this tour - Glad to have got the chance to fall in love with it.
Back to top Go down
theboywho

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 7:01 pm

when will they ever return to glasgae?
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 am

Chicago review:

http://venuszine.com/articles/music/live_reviews/6844/Camera_Obscura_comes_into_focus_in_Chicago
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Review of the Houston show:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/04/aftermath_camera_obscura_charm.php

They played "I Don't Do Crowds"!!! When's the last time they played that?
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:25 pm

wow! i would LOVE to hear that tune live! oh the lucky houstonites... i would imagine its been a few years since it last popped up live.... in fact - i just checked my entire live library and i dont have a single instance of this tune live!! ...next google-search is for that freakin show...
bolony
Back to top Go down
Hogs

Hogs

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 pm

tonybolony wrote:

Sadly, they did not play "The World is Full of Strangers" that night. I honestly prefer "Swans" to that, though, so I was glad if I had to have one or the other it was "Swans." I'm sad they didn't play "I Don't Do Crowds."

And yes, I do adore Camera Obscura. ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://baconismyantidrug.com
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

New pics. These are priceless.

http://www.camera-obscura.net/photos/?set=72157623722986683
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Pics from the Houston show:

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/galleries/camera_obscura/72157623720071173
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Coachella picture & review

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/coachella_2010_day_two_report_camera_obscura_muse_mgmt_hot_chip_and_more/
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm

ta for all the updates........
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

2010 Tour Dates
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next