camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2010 Tour Dates

Go down 
+11
snowdroplets
inkling23
Hogs
CristianisDaMan
graeme
blurecu
theboywho
derek
Pete
tonybolony
paul
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
ihave19voices

2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 pm

what'd you think of The Love Language?
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:38 am

love language were great. i just got their first album. will give it a listen tomorrow.

anyway... thought i would share a few pictures from the gig last night.

Camera Obscura / The Love Language @ Grand Ballroom at Manhattan Center 6/7/10
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

i listened to the love language debut album a few hours ago. it's very good. will put a preorder for the upcoming one and purchase a physical version of lp1 at merge when i have some money, but i liked this first one a lot. (i still haven't donated for the latest Go Away Birds EP, and you know, I think they're the greatest musical thing ever...so that's how strapped i am.)
i came up with a bunch of contradicting adjectives to describe the love language, but decided it was becoming too much of a cliche review to do the band/album justice, and so deleted my ambiguous thoughts.

anyway if they ever come around my neighborhood (nobody ever does....) i will definitely see a show.
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 am

Pics from Grand Ballroom:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/06/camera_obscura_13.html

HD video from Brooklyn:

http://vimeo.com/12355728
Back to top Go down
pizzatarian

pizzatarian

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:58 am

This video is beautiful! TAC looks gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 pm

well it seems like there is one show to go,and as we are all aware the band has worked its socks off this year…they have neglected liverpool..and these shores in general but I think we understand why,hopefully they`ll play ATP and I`ll get meself a late ticket and crash at me mates chalet….all we can hope for is a long rest for the band, a b sides double gatefold(title anyone) for christmas….and some new stuff hopefully very soon….i remember the first time they played French navy and swans in shrewsbury,the flyers had them down as camera obscurer……they are obviously knackered,I love tracy`s forced smile as in that last video of 80`s fan….but as a small but dedicated forum,this thread is 13 pages long..it’s a credit and I suppose there may be a drought now but that’s okay……nice one gang for all the info etc
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:49 pm

ready fer a long one??...

Wow – what a trip!! It was truly overwhelming… so many people on such a small island! I owe you a big big thanks Derek.. we followed a lot of yer tips and had a fabulous time! It started out with a bit of heartache tho.. we arrived nice and early – noon – to our hotel in Jersey, checked in and took the Subway to Manhattan, called the PATH i guess from NJ and got all the tickets we were goin to.. by the time we realized the hour, it was 2:30! We were a little awed I guess.. well, we frantically hailed a cabbie and got to ride at breakneck speed to Brooklyn for 20 bucks and made it just in time for the bouncer at the door to tell us its over and we cant go in! my wife is quite persuasive when she wants to be and she worked her charm and he allowed us to go in to take a pic of the door (whatever that means?? Derek??) – maybe he meant the giant 3 foot thick vault door(?)… so we hustled in and the show was well overwith at this point.. so I was really down but the band came back out and I got to chat with Lee for a good while which was great – he’s a fantastic guy and really positive kind of personality! We got in the 20-min line-up for ice cream and just after we got our share from the poor fella workin (his hand was sore from scoopin so long so he switched hands only to cut his other hand on the metal ring at the top of the ice cream container! He tossed that jug so no blood in our share!). . after we got our Sweetest Cream (was quite yummy), my wife wanted to chat with Tracyanne who had come around by now so I took her pic with her …I thought she looked especially fatigued but maybe it was the heat of the show.. she was as pleasant as ever and my wife asked her if they were gonna play Suspended at the concert. She said “no, i don’t think we’re going to but we can see what i can do” – well, ya can see that they stuck it in on the setlist! Chantal was practically giddy with excitement when it came on and we were truly impressed that they listen to yahoos like us with requests! In fact, they played it right after the picture taking with the gal in the audience.. TAC said she kept seeing her there and was feeling guilty! What a great band!! Back to the Flea tho… I looked a bit for Derek figuring him to stick around but realized I have no idea what ya look like! So, we just shouted “Derek” a few times into the crowd to see who’d turn around! I guess ya weren’t there… or were avoiding the crazies shouting your name!! Very Happy was gonna chat with Carey too but I think I’m most nervous about talking to her… don’t know why… maybe cause I feel like a complete un-artsy dolt by comparison.. I should’ve at least said my thanks for all the twitter, myspace and site updates cause she does the majority of them and I would miss ¾ of their on-air shows, etc if it weren’t for the frequent posts. Thanks Carey (if ya read this!)!! still have not chatted with Gavin either but I simply hav not had an opportunity… so after the Flea, we journeyed out into a windstorm (it was crazy windy and very unusual according to the cop there) and walked over to the Brooklyn bridge… got to see a lot of the un-tourist version of NY which is what we love – gives you a real flavor of a city I believe. Pressed on thru a torrential downpour and got into a 20-minute line outside the pizza place Derek mentioned, Grimoldis – see the pic of me in line! Couldn’t believe that the line was so huge but I discovered a short while later that it was about half the usual length!! Was worth it tho! They squished us in between 2 other couples and gave our pizza to someone else so we waited longer but it was fantastic pizza and a great experience. Afterwards, we walked across the bridge and caught a subway to do some sightseeing… saw as much as can be seen in 2 days.. went up the Empire State bldg in the day, “Top of the Rock” at night, did one of those hop-on-hop-off cheesy double decker bus tours but really enjoyed it! went thru the village, little Italy and Chinatown,etc… loved going thru Harlem, seeing some ‘famous’ locales like the courtyard where Lennon was shot, place where Malcolm X spoke, ground zero, etc.. we loved Central Park and I got a sandwich for $9 but was so hungry I didn’t care..well, turned out that was the best damn sandwich I ever ate! I will buy another the next time I’m there!!

what can I say about the show that hasn’t already been said.. I loved it of course.. the setlist was perfect.. I heard a few new ones and the stellar versions of some complete with strings… their addition was so prominent in some songs and really made them sooo much better and even subtle in others – like “you told a lie”… “are my eyes the coldest blue… plink plunk plunk ke-plunk” soo beautiful live! I loved the sound so much in this venue – it was very full and when TAC asked for more sound on her monitor, her vocals did improve (didn’t think it was possible).. highlight for me was definitely Suspended altho it was maybe obvious that it hadn’t been played as often as 80s fan – not quite as tight but.. oh I loved hearing it! thanks Tracyanne for squeezin it in! I figured Derek was front and center again and looked around fer him but we didn’t arrive too early so we ended up farther back and went to the balcony (feet were super sore from touring) to sit and it sounded so amazin up there we didn’t want to move.. but again, after the show we hung around and I did shout “Derek” a few times – wanted to get ya a drink! It seemed early when it ended (maybe 11:30) but I guess it was a week-night and we looked fruitlessly for a bar/pub for a nightcap.. someone mentioned avenue A, B or C… don’t know where they were and we ended up just hoppin the subway back to Jersey – there was a pub just beside the Holland tunnel. Oh, and I really liked the opener… was prepared to sacrifice my beer money for their album but didn’t have enough left! Will be ordering today online tho… they were great, full of energy and I too loved how they all sang.. definite recommend!
Last thing we did was visit the Statue of Liberty from the NJ side… there’s a big park there and you get really close to her.. pretty amazin! Then the long trek home.. was a lot of fun and will probably visit again sometime next year… OH! I almost forgot, nobody has mentioned that TAC said near the end of the show when she was thankin the crowd for coming, “hopefully we’ll have some new songs the next time we see you”! ….how in the hell can they write new stuff with all the touring they’ve done?!! Simply amazing band!!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:58 pm

great write up tony...glad you had such a great time........
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:00 pm

i fergot to post my pic link... not too many there - just a few from Brooklyn
http://picasaweb.google.ca/tony.bolony/2010NYC?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3014-0so6hHA&feat=directlink

...and i think i almost made it into one of yer pics Derek.. the one after the show when it had cleared out a bit.. if ya turned a small bit to the right you wouldve caught me!
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey tony... glad you guys had a terrific time! that park in NJ (liberty state park) is really nice. the past couple of years they've had a big music festival there (All Points West), but ticket sales last year must have been pretty poor 'cause they aren't doing it again.

I know Grimaldi's is a bit of a hassle, but it's a really terrific pizza. Going on a Sunday afternoon probably didn't help things, either, but oh well.

Sucks I didn't see you at either gig. I was hanging about afterwards for both of them. at the flea market I was all sweaty and gross from waiting in that stair-well for an hour before the doors opened, so maybe I was keeping a low profile. We talked to TAC and Carey for a min, got a tshirt for my lady's niece, and went on our merry way. Didn't hear anyone yelling my name.

at the ballroom show, we were hanging around for a while to with the band a safe trip back, but eventually we got kicked out by security. apparently you needed some kind of a pass for a "meet and greet". I didn't know that that existed. Oh well.

Glad everything went well. You didn't miss too much with the Flea market show. The sound was actually pretty good, but you wouldn't have been able to see anything. Sightlines were terrible. I was only 3 or 4 people back and I had a hard time seeing. I can only imagine if you were in the back.

I was front and center for the ballroom gig. Got there maybe an hour and a half before doors opened. The balcony looked nice and comfortable, but I had to soak this one in in the front. Probably won't see these glaswegians for a while. (although, fortunately, my other favorite glaswegians will be coming my way in a few months!!!!!!)

glad you made it back safe, tony. seemed a little quiet on here without ya.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 pm

thanks Derek! yeah it did look like it wouldve been "messy" in that vault.. too bad didnt run into you tho - maybe cause i was looking for Jean-Paul Belmondo! Wink
Grimaldis was worth it! i think the rain helped shorten the line too - we only waited 20 minutes max..
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 pm

derek wrote:
Victoria Bergsman was at both shows. yeah
really?! where was she?
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:23 pm

blurecu wrote:
Pics from Grand Ballroom:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/06/camera_obscura_13.html

Thanks for reviews/pics etc lads. We have promised ourselves we will visit the big apple in the not to distant future. I thought that was Tony up front wearing a navy baseball hat in one of the pics from Blurecu dead centre and right at the front - obviously not. Pic 35, the one with TAC and the some heads in the front row. Could be Derek tho ?

I seem to recall seeing ya in a Disney pic ya posted with the kids Tony - was it a Blue Jays hat you were wearing ?

I could have bet money it was you Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

tonybolony wrote:
derek wrote:
Victoria Bergsman was at both shows. yeah
really?! where was she?

at the end of the flea market gig, she was hanging out next to the stage chatting with her BBF TAC. didn't talk to her that time.

then after the grand ballroom gig, I saw her standing over by the merch stand in the back. that time since i wasn't looking all sweating and gross, i said 'hi victoria' and she looked at me stunned. and i just said 'i love your records' and she just smiled and said 'thank you.' very nice, but VERY shy.

Pete wrote:
Thanks for reviews/pics etc lads. We have promised ourselves we will visit the big apple in the not to distant future. I thought that was Tony up front wearing a navy baseball hat in one of the pics from Blurecu dead centre and right at the front - obviously not. Pic 35, the one with TAC and the some heads in the front row. Could be Derek tho ?

I seem to recall seeing ya in a Disney pic ya posted with the kids Tony - was it a Blue Jays hat you were wearing ?

I could have bet money it was you Embarassed

That's actually me! It's a New York Yankees hat. You can also see me in the first picture (well, the first one "after the jump") outside the venue wearing a green t-shirt and the same yankee hat. there were only 2 people ahead of me and my lady. I think they actually came all the way from Florida. After the show they tried to get a setlist, but were total jerks about it. ma lady got one and would have actually just given it to them, but they were talking so much crap and being rude, so she said 'fuck it' and kept it.

the rest of the crowd though was total aces. really enthusiastic and positive. everyone standing around us (aside from those 2 girls) was very friendly. the one guy a couple people down from us on the rail writes a blog that was linked to up there in the forum somewhere. according2g.com or something. he was a really nice guy. there were a couple of sisters from philly that were standing next to us that were very nice as well. they got a setlist. i guess karma is a killer.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Derek wrote:

That's actually me! It's a New York Yankees hat. You can also see me in the first picture (well, the first one "after the jump") outside the venue wearing a green t-shirt and the same yankee hat. there were only 2 people ahead of me and my lady. I think they actually came all the way from Florida. After the show they tried to get a setlist, but were total jerks about it. ma lady got one and would have actually just given it to them, but they were talking so much crap and being rude, so she said 'fuck it' and kept it.

So funnee, I was half expecting you to be dressed like your avatar in real life Very Happy Funny how you form a mental impression of folk.

I like the style of your lady, fuck it ! Laughing Laughing Laughing Where do all these tossers come from ? There unfortunately always seems to be at least one Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Pete wrote:
So funnee, I was half expecting you to be dressed like your avatar in real life Very Happy Funny how you form a mental impression of folk.

Ha... no. I wish I could pull that off. I'm more of a tshirt and baseball cap kinda guy. In my head I'm Jean Paul Belmondo, but in reality I'm more Kevin James. (those across the pond probably won't know who that is, but i don't really know a UK equivalent. maybe Nick Frost?)
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:44 pm

derek wrote:
Pete wrote:

Ha... no. I wish I could pull that off. I'm more of a tshirt and baseball cap kinda guy. In my head I'm Jean Paul Belmondo, but in reality I'm more Kevin James. (those across the pond probably won't know who that is, but i don't really know a UK equivalent. maybe Nick Frost?)

HAHA! yeah i think we all hav some mental image of each other and it rarely matches.. i did see you then! i shoulda spoke up.. when i was looking at your photos, i noticed you were right by the monitor which was close to where that gal got her pic with TAC, right? was that one of the jerks? hope not... i didnt have to wait in a line..got there just as they let everyone in so was about 40 people back i guess.. i may be a blurry guy in your 2nd to last pic off to the right.. stripey kind of shirt.. ah well, next show eh?!
ps. kevin james rocks! liked em best in hitch
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:51 pm

tonybolony wrote:
when i was looking at your photos, i noticed you were right by the monitor which was close to where that gal got her pic with TAC, right?

yeah.. I was standing right next to her and her sis. No, they weren't the jerks. They were the nice ones from Philly.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:26 pm

btw - did you notice some of the lyric changes thru the set... i think i caught 2 or 3 subtle differences.. really made the show fun and loose for me! i cant remember which ones now of course and i've looked a bit on youtube to see but havnt figured out which songs they were... it was essentially a word or two so would be easy to miss... also, they did a bit of jam at the end of swans - again, no youtube of it.. makin me question me own sanity! Wink
anyone else remember these?..
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Finally took some time to read your story Tony... all sounds like you had a fantastic time! I would have felt bad for the poor ice cream guy as well.

And Victoria whats-her-name, is she the Taken By Trees lady? Why can I not find that album anywhere......
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

yea - was really a great time!
yes, Taken By Trees is her solo project.. was lead singer for Concretes and i particularly liked her contribution to Peter Bjorn & John's "Young Folks".. my favourite tune of theirs and shes stellar in it..
taken by trees wiki here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taken_by_Trees
2 albums out with one song written by our own TAC ("Lost and Found") and a beautiful cover of GNR's sweet child o' mine
Back to top Go down
pizzatarian

pizzatarian

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Just in case you guys are interested, here's a picture and a mini interview with the band after their first show in Sao Paulo:

http://es.tinypic.com/r/11goqxi/6

"We don't smile because we have bad teeth" explains the guitar player, Kenny McKeeve, when we tried to take pictures with big, photogenic smiles of these adorable, but serious, scotish musicians.The group received sãopaulo at the backstage after their first show in Brazil, at the Whisky Festival.

"The crowd was incredible", says the lead singer TAC after eating pizza, "There was this girl who wouldn't stop poking her fingernails and another one who would stop talking on her cell phone"
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 2:23 pm

i love that picture! ..erm..my portugese is a little rusty tho so can't read the article.. it is portugese right? ya'd think in my town of 30% portugese id've picked some up but sadly..only swear words..
any chance of a translation pizzatarian? [love the name btw!]
Back to top Go down
pizzatarian

pizzatarian

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey, Tony! It is indeed portuguese!

I posted the translation below the link. I'm not good at it, so I'm sorry it you can't understand it... I'll try to improve it when I get home tonight!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:33 pm

pizzatarian wrote:
Hey, Tony! It is indeed portuguese!

I posted the translation below the link. I'm not good at it, so I'm sorry it you can't understand it... I'll try to improve it when I get home tonight!

oh.. sorry didnt realize that was the translation! no, its fine... i get it now... i'm just a little slooo sometimes!! geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   2010 Tour Dates - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

2010 Tour Dates
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next