camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

single of the day

Go down 
+15
johnfm
theboywho
paul
TracyanneLovesTheGers
Pete
Dr K
sixthofmay
tonybolony
derek
steven13
nick
somethinglikeant
clarky
bossanovacowboy
graeme
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

single of the day - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 pm

great news for me.....i`m at the m g atp....sweet..............
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

i need more of these "dailies" so am gonna try to keep the thread alive...

Sasha Bell "Destination Girl"
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Cool, nice. reminds of Idha...have i posted this before?

Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I want that studio.

Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 7:41 pm

wow - never heard Idha before but thats nice.. jus checked on allmusic for some info.. 2 albums.. they good? has a nice 70s retro folk sound - i like!

an yes Paul that studio looks pretty sweet..

tony
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 am

http://www.popboy.net-angels.co.uk/angels/artists/idhaovelius.htm

I love both her albums, but I suppose the 2nd album Troublemaker just nudges it for me, you can get them el cheapo on ebay or amazon etc anyway.

Above link has a free MP3 download of a fantastic version of Primal Screams I'm losing More Than I'll ever Have, the one thing I heard all those years ago from Idha that made me seek out more of her stuff.

Check her Myspace webite to hear some other nuggets.
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Having been utterly charmed by their stunning performance last night at King Tut's, my Single of the Day can only be this from First Aid Kit, two precocious Swedish teenage sisters who hang out in forests

They are doing LOADS of gigs all over the UK in the next few weeks - I beg of you, don't miss 'em.

http://www.last.fm/music/First+Aid+Kit/+events
Back to top Go down
steven13

steven13

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 6:31 pm

I had totally forgotten about Idha she is brilliant thanks for reminding me Pete. I remember when the 1st album came out I worked for Our Price and bought the cd on the strength of the cool cover shot and because it was on Creation
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm

steven13 wrote:
I had totally forgotten about Idha she is brilliant thanks for reminding me Pete. I remember when the 1st album came out I worked for Our Price and bought the cd on the strength of the cool cover shot and because it was on Creation

Our Price in the Sauchiehall Street Centre (as was!)? Gosh, that sounds like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? VHS!

Apparently 1960s and 1970s actor Derren Nesbitt (one of the era's chief paisley neckerchief wearers) became a wealthy man on the back of that chain - I think he and his brother owned it, am I right?
Back to top Go down
steven13

steven13

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Not sure who owned Our Price I worked for them in East Kilbride and Greenock then moved to Virgin I ended up managing the Virgin store in Buchanan Street that is now HMV i bailed just before they went bust when Mr Branson took his money out !
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 am

Zavvi. What a crap name. Bet it took a team of 'creative' arseholes about 3 weeks and 7 weeks in focus groups to come up with that. No wonder it flopped like a bastard. That and the fact that they had a gigantic shop full of "products in a virtual world" as Stewart Lee put it.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 pm

TracyanneLovesTheGers wrote:
Having been utterly charmed by their stunning performance last night at King Tut's, my Single of the Day can only be this from First Aid Kit, two precocious Swedish teenage sisters who hang out in forests

They are doing LOADS of gigs all over the UK in the next few weeks - I beg of you, don't miss 'em.

http://www.last.fm/music/First+Aid+Kit/+events
WOW! theyre amazing! i LOVE the harmonies... i see them at SXSW but no other US/Can dates - i hope that'll change! precious indeed!! thanks for the daily...
tony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Emmy The Great   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:18 pm

I found this girl a few days ago when I was looking for a Go Away Birds EP I didn't have.

She and her band have played on the same stage as Camera Obscura before, and Emmy's vocal style reminds me of Tracyanne's.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

thanks Paul - Emmy the Great has a buncha nice tunes.. i did a quick wiki and saw she has an insane amount of eps out there. some were free DL from her myspace but i couldnt find any that were still active. i did find on hypem tho that she put several of her ep songs on her LP but i found the ep version nicer - less instruments and production really accentuated her voice.. nice find tho - tanks again
bolony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

tonybolony wrote:
thanks Paul - Emmy the Great has a buncha nice tunes.. i did a quick wiki and saw she has an insane amount of eps out there. some were free DL from her myspace but i couldnt find any that were still active. i did find on hypem tho that she put several of her ep songs on her LP but i found the ep version nicer - less instruments and production really accentuated her voice.. nice find tho - tanks again
bolony

I was only able to find two EP's, myself -- Through slightly less legal means, simply because there don't seem to be any legal means available... And then one of the EP's is included on her only album, which was released on Rough Trade though seems to be OOP after less than a year, but is pretty readily available on eBay from singapore/hong kong/china based shops.

Also, got an email from 4AD this morning announcing a new album from a band I've never heard of, called Efterklang (Magic Chairs). I'm listening to it right now, what I've heard so far isn't knock-your-socks-off amazing, but in the interest of keeping this thread alive, here's a sample of one of the stronger tracks:

Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Is anybody still alive?
Lots of @camera_obscura_ twitter activity if anybody's paying attention. In fact, I would not be surprised if we got another album this year.

Anyways, here's a new single for Shins fans.
The first Broken Bells LP is released next Tuesday. (on the Sony label - barf...!), which is a duo by The Shins' frontman and one other guy (hey I don't know who they are, I only accidentally started listening to The Shins last week)
The album is very early-70's classic electronic prog-rock sounding, with some sunshine rock thrown in, but at the same time, very fresh & new.

And here's the single:

Don't let the video throw you off, that's probably the weakest track from the album. As a whole, it's good enough that I threw some money at Sony to pre-order the vinyl, despite my hatred for evil giant record labels.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 am

i`m still here paul.......i am a fan of the shins...broken bells it gettin a mixed response.......i aint heard it meself so i`ll hold on judgement.....i`m off to manchester next weekend so no doubt i`ll come back clutchin some vinyl...maintenant-gigi is favourite due to nicks adoration and statement"if you only buy 1 thing this year,let this be it"or words to that effect.............
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

little pick me up this morn...
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:51 pm

dont think i posted one of these gals yet...
tegan & sara - living room (from "If it was you" LP)
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 pm

a man/me/then jim-rilo kiley

erm nice..........

http://www.last.fm/music/Rilo+Kiley/_/A%2BMan%252FMe%252FThen%2BJim
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

still goin retro... my favourite S&G song..
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm

my god is this still the same day!! ugghh... affraid

anyhow was listenin to some "canadian content" and thought i'd share...
band called "ashley park" song is "painter & jay" from a compilation album...

in case anyone likes... our equivalent to "bbc radio 6" over the sea is "CBC radio 3" and pretty much the only station i listen to here - the rest are parrot stations (repeat repeat repeat the same damn shite)... you can find practically any Canadian band on there (if yer so inclined..)
link to above band here... http://radio3.cbc.ca/#/bands/Ashley-Park
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm

there's not really any equivalent of BBC Radio 6 or CBC 3 round these parts, or anywhere in america ... maybe NPR? as all the major interstate stations are owned by the major record labels, and play the same old shite over and over and over again, depending on the station's so-called "genre". once in awhile you'll find a college-run station that plays stuff slightly different, but generally, i've given up on FM altogether. i'm carrying around 8gb on my smartphone wherever i am, and it was a quick hack to install an amplified 3.5mm jack in my car, so i haven't even touched the radio...except to turn it of...in 2 or so years.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm

The single from She & Him's forthcoming Volume 2 has a video now.

There's a better version here at pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/4113-she-him-in-the-sun-merge
Is it just me, or is M. Ward looking like an international terrorist?

Just 10 more days!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:16 pm

haha - yeah or some greaseball teacher i once had! the video sure looked like alot of fun to make tho! those are my faverite kind - they really looked like they were havin a ball!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: single of the day   single of the day - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

single of the day
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next