camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

god help the girl

Go down 
+6
paul
tonybolony
nick
derek
L!
graeme
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:50 pm

okay i know but it is related,kenny mckeeve plays on the album by all accounts...fanatastic website,lush.....

http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
L!

L!

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm

graeme wrote:
okay i know but it is related,kenny mckeeve plays on the album by all accounts...fanatastic website,lush.....

http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/

I've listened...Catherine Ireton has a great voice! I hope B&S's will return soon with a studio album...this is just a Stuart Murdoch's project (even if with the help of some band's members)
Back to top Go down
http://www.belleandsebastian.it
derek

derek

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing this whole thing. What I've heard so far is great!

Supposedly they're going to do a "God Help the Girl" concert in Glasgow... but probably not a whole tour.

Judging from Stu's recent diary and q&a entries... it's sounding like he's itching to do some more B&S stuff. Hopefully we get some belle shows towards the end of this year, or beginning of next year. I can't believe it's almost been three years since the last time I saw them! (it was July 4th at Battery Park in NYC.) I saw Stevie do a couple of solo gigs last year in which he broke out some rarities ("Black & White Unite"!) and some folk songs. And I've seen the Vaselines backed by Stevie Bob and Rich a couple of times (well Rich only once). But I'm really itching for a proper B&S show!
Back to top Go down
nick

nick

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 9:45 am

Having lived with a poor quality download of the album for a while, I can confirm it is great. Garnering good reviews over here too, 4 stars in mojo and uncut. Derek, would love to see Stevie solo but he doesn't tend to do that much over here. I also think you're being very optimistic in the hope that B&S will play live any time in the near future, although I for one would be delighted if they did. I miss them dearly.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 9:59 am

check out stuarts last statement in the q&a on the g.h.t.g site nick...you have been a champion of this project for a while......its all pretty excitin stuff.............
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I do tend to be a little overoptimistic with these things.

No reason to be sad though...

I'm seeing my beloved CO 3 times in a couple of weeks!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 3:54 pm

God Help The Girl is pleased to announce their first (and last) shows in November, at the Crossing Border festival in The Hague, the 100 Club in London and the Usher Hall in Edinburgh.

Each show will be unique – in The Hague, they will be appearing with Tegan and Sara; in London at the legendary 100 Club and in Edinburgh in a special BBC Scotland curated show along with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

The 9 piece band includes three of the vocalists who featured on the album – Catherine Ireton, Celia Garcia and Alex Klobouk – and will be playing songs from the album and its counterpart EP, “Stills.”

Friday 20th November
Nationaal Toneel, The Hague
Schouwburgstraat 8, 2511 VA The Hague
with Tegan and Sara
details

Saturday 21st November
The 100 Club, London
100, Oxford Street, London.
www.the100club.co.uk
tickets from here
Price: £12

Sunday 29th November
The Usher Hall, Edinburgh
Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2EA.
with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra playing the music from ‘A History of Scotland’, Eddi Reader and McIntosh Ross.
tickets: £15 from Usher Hall Box Office
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:23 pm

i do like GHTG - i've mentioned my not likin B+S as much as the rest o yas but this project is more to my tastes. i do find it odd to have Tegan and Sara (canadian twin sisters) playing with them.. they are more alternative rock really. dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of them (have all albums and a few singles as well - new one out later this month) but the music styles will certainly be contrasted at this show methinks. anyhow, they are (T+S) definately worth seeing if you havent yet - put on a great show and are typically hilarious between tunes.
tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: girl singer needed   god help the girl EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 pm

watch and enjoy..

erm still workin on fib2007 i tried to compress it with winrar...it came out the same size...doh.........

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wbt38f
Back to top Go down
paul

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Just discovered you could buy all the singles and the album in Flac format for 19.00 USD total (that's like 10 pounds), direct from Matador's website. Since I missed out on the subscription and crappy mp3 downloads were my only option for the singles, this is pretty nice. Got the Stills EP digitally in as good quality as possible, the other two singles, and also purchased the album as opposed to buying a CD, since I've already got the vinyl for album art & etc.

Pretty good deal methinks, for those of us who hate MP3 files and are too late to get physical copies.

I'm seriously in love with Catherine Ireton. Does she have a music career outside of GTHG...?
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 am

paul wrote:
I'm seriously in love with Catherine Ireton. Does she have a music career outside of GTHG...?

How odd that a question about God Help The Girl should bring me from the shadows of lurkerdom but this deserved an answer.

Yes, Catherine is absolutely a star in the making - in fact I don't wonder that GHTG was conceived by Stuart as a vehicle for her.

She does indeed have a musical career elsewhere. She and her collaborator Michael-John came from Ireland to Edinburgh 4 years ago when the GHTG project was first instigated (then promptly put on the back burner). Her band - cat being let out of the bag now - are called GO-AWAY BIRDS.

http://thegoawaybirds.com/goawaybirds.html

I saw her play an utterly under-publicised gig at Brel's bar in Glasgow about three weeks ago to fewer than 30 people and it was wonderful. More people should have been there though! The voice and indeed the persona are pretty much as you hear in GHTG.

I have two EPs bought at the gig from Catherine herself (which she made herself at home too!) and these are called Sundays and Heart Thump Heart Thump. These'll probably be worth £20 each within a month and I'll wish I'd bought a few more. There are free downloads of some songs available at their website.

I was at the Usher Hall symphonic gig last night and, ignoring the extraneous trappings (there was some seriously dodgy music on show on the rest of the bill which I politely sat through all of, although it was all beautifully played!), the GHTG set was 30 minutes of pop perfection. Musician Please Take Heed was four minutes of the one of the very best live performances I've witnessed in 20 years of gig-going. The girls were all totally captivating but Catherine really is something very special. Five foot nothing and she can go from playing to 30 people in a pub back room to a massive auditorium like this. I'll never forget that 30 minutes last night - really unique and special. Anyone else on here get along there last night?

UK-only and probably for only this week but the gig is available to listen to here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p2j4w/b00p2j1c/History_of_Scotland_Concert/

GHTG are on between 1hr 18m and 1hr 47m.

Now, y'all enjoy the Go Away Birds. I should really keep it as my secret, so I can continue to go to tiny gigs, but they deserve more attention and really it's a thank you to everyone on here who has kept me informed of Obscura movements in the last few months.

x
Back to top Go down
paul

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:34 am

Oh lordy lou! Thanks so much for the link. I've listened to the downloadable EP twice now and made a donation. Not as much as I think it's worth but I'm a skint musician of my own! :S
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 am

wow! thanks for the heads up ...uh.. TracyanneLovesTheGers (interestin name that!)
but this is great - Catherine does have a fantastic voice and hopefully gets popular enough to visit us over here on the "other side"! thank you for the additional material - i love it when something new drops in on me computer like this!! what a great forum!
tony
Back to top Go down
paul

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:24 am

tonybolony wrote:
what a great forum!
tony

This truely is a forum supported by people with TASTE. It's a pleasure to be in the company of y'all.
Back to top Go down
steven13

steven13

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 am

Hey all, I found this link to download the God Help The Girl concert from Edinburgh, hope you all like it.

http://peenko.blogspot.com/

Great to have you onboard "Tracyannelovesthegers", I love that name, I take it you heard TAC comment's at the last 2 Glasgow Barrowland shows regarding the dodgy pub's around the venue that made me laugh!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 am

i was hoping very much to make it to the edinburgh show....but i had asked stuart on the site and he told me it would be roughly 30 minutes..i have christmas and kids birthdays and its onna be a hard few months....so i decided against(stuart mentions this will be the last time g.h.t.g play???erm i hope not)...thanks very much for the links...and welcome to another well kept secret..this forum(not knowingly a secret like its bin publisized in various places) i`m not sure wether youve listened to the radio interview with catherine linked to the g.h.t.g site,or wether its still available....she mentions in that all her side projects.....very broad irish talkin voice,erm lovely.

http://godhelpthegirl.com/news/109/interview-with-catherine

if ever this convinced me that the lyric i often sing as i go about my day..

“into the literate world,
i am a limmerick girl”

i know catherine isn`t eve like,well she is in the whole thingy like…great interview………

— graeme · Aug 16, 13:49 · #

francis macdonald cemented his place on skins like...........

can any audiophiles capture this live performance as an mp3,its awesome...........
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 pm

steven13 wrote:
Hey all, I found this link to download the God Help The Girl concert from Edinburgh, hope you all like it
i totally forgot to search Peenko - great site for links and vids - for GHTG stuff... lots of nice links when you do a search.. man, the more i hear of em the more i love it! so fresh and original and just plain enjoyable!
tony
an here's the mp3 ya requested of the interview Graeme..
http://www.zshare.net/audio/692576368e22dd0f/

[jus to let ya in on a little-known secret - i have another web browser developed by Mac called safari.. in the pull-down "windows", theres a function called "acitivity" and it opens a neat little window that shows everything that is loaded on the webpage you have opened. i mean everything including ads, flash images AND any mp3s that happened to be linked. jus cntl-click the mp3 file and voila - downloadin...]
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:59 pm

steven13 wrote:
Hey all, I found this link to download the God Help The Girl concert from Edinburgh, hope you all like it.
Great to have you onboard "Tracyannelovesthegers", I love that name, I take it you heard TAC comment's at the last 2 Glasgow Barrowland shows regarding the dodgy pub's around the venue that made me laugh!

Yes, I laughed like a drain.

"Hope you all get home safely from this dodgy place," and, more blatantly last time around, "Oh, are there some bears in tonight?"
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 pm

graeme wrote:
i was hoping very much to make it to the edinburgh show....but i had asked stuart on the site and he told me it would be roughly 30 minutes..i have christmas and kids birthdays and its onna be a hard few months....so i decided against(stuart mentions this will be the last time g.h.t.g play???erm i hope not)...

Massive thanks for the link to Peenko folks - great to have this in permanent desktop/phone format!

As to whether GHTG will play again? I would reckon, like everything else in life, it's 'never say never' but surely it's more likely not. Certainly I would be very surprised if they played with a full orchestra again!

As I see it, and I could well be wrong (it has been known), God Help the Girl is not a band, it's a project. It's the title of that album also. The film will be the next thing Stuart turns his attention to (after the small matter of new B&S material), so really GHTG as a 'band' ends in January 2010 with the 'final' single. Isn't that the intention?

That's been my assumption, so I reckoned it was now or never. Makes a gig incredibly exciting I must say - savouring every moment knowing that every minute has just gone forever. I was a bit like that seeing Camera Obscura at Morecambe Library - you're just thinking: "This is amazing! I will *never* see them play to 200 people again."
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:59 pm

ta tony.....................
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:05 pm

graeme wrote:
i`m not sure wether youve listened to the radio interview with catherine linked to the g.h.t.g site,or wether its still available....she mentions in that all her side projects.....very broad irish talkin voice,erm lovely.

http://godhelpthegirl.com/news/109/interview-with-catherine

I'd somehow managed to contrive to miss this link, so thanks a lot for posting it. Yes, that dots a few i's and crosses a few t's as to how her part in GHTG came about.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:36 pm

sorry tony,i meant the live show...ta in advance.........
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 am

oops - sorry bout that... didnt read the request very closely...
did the search, found the BBC show which i had not yet listened to an LOVED it! thanks for asking for this rip else i might never had looked for it...
here ya go...again! Wink
http://www.zshare.net/audio/692920514cf3a3b7/
oh an i have the WAV file this time too Paul if yer interested...

and BTW - i love having folks join this forum but i especially love those that are providing me with links to new and exciting bands as well as shows of those i do know... big thanks to you TracyanneLovesTheGers AND to the rest of yas who have made my daily drudgery at werk that much brighter with good tunes and great conversation!!
Tony
Back to top Go down
paul

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 3:20 am

tonybolony wrote:

oh an i have the WAV file this time too Paul if yer interested...

Yeah very much interested thanks! If it's too big to zshare or something, I have a webserver you could FTP it to.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 3:27 am

hey Paul - jus uploadin now to zshare (its 250mg) - only at 32% so far...will post link when its done Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

god help the girl Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl Empty

Back to top Go down

god help the girl
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next