camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

god help the girl

Go down 
+6
paul
tonybolony
nick
derek
L!
graeme
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
paul

god help the girl - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 4:07 am

since you're sending it to me over ftp already... once it's done upping i can split the show apart into tracks, flac/mp3 it, and host the show like i do with our world party archive: http://www.karlwallinger.net/live.html

for private download only at first, of course, it wouldn't be a public page. do we know how stuart & the gang feel about sharing bootlegs?
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Review of the London GHTG gig:

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/2009/11/god-help-the-girl-100-club-london-211109/
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 am

TracyanneLovesTheGers wrote:
As I see it, and I could well be wrong (it has been known), God Help the Girl is not a band, it's a project. It's the title of that album also. The film will be the next thing Stuart turns his attention to (after the small matter of new B&S material), so really GHTG as a 'band' ends in January 2010 with the 'final' single. Isn't that the intention?

jus reading this thread again and cant help but hope for more from GHTG. yea it is just a "project" but like Graeme said prior - i cant stop spinning this one... its grabbed my attention and i thought it was just a faze or the new album of the week for me... but Im STILL playing it lots and damn i wish there was more..
an someone mentioned before some Catherine Ireton stuff.. what was the name of the band again?? i have given the B+S stuff you recommended too - this was more to my liking especially if i focused on NOT searching for the CO comparisons! heh heh.. ta for that!
tony

oh - an would love to see this film...hope it actually gets done... but i think the album does a fantastic job of telling tha story as it is..
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 am

Tony - check back further up this thread (on the first page in fact) and my earlier posting with info on Catherine's band (well, her and Michael-John from Zoey Van Goey) which is called GO-AWAY BIRDS. I would hope for/expect more from them in 2010 but expect NOTHING new to come, recorded musicwise at least, from GHTG.

But a few people on here are going mental for Go-Away Birds and no surprise really ...
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm

ahh yes - thanks! cant wait to go mental too... (altho wifey says its too late!)
bolony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 pm

TracyanneLovesTheGers wrote:
But a few people on here are going mental for Go-Away Birds and no surprise really ...

I don't know who you could possibly be referring to. Er...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Having bought this on ebay, and having been told there would be a delay due to awaiting a restock, after waiting 6 weeks, I have now have this on constant rotation - what a surprise to hear Neil Hannon on this, and just dig some of the tunes on this esp FLF at mo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 pm

hey - someone here mentioned picking up the GHTG album and Stills single in some package deal. where was that? i'm in need of 2 more copies and i recall it being said they spent less than i did for the LP alone.. a little help please! thanka!!
tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 pm

you had to subscribe to the god help the girl project...not sure wether you still can tony.......good luck.............via their site..........
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm

hmm - i did sign up for that before and got the free mp3 DLs of Stills and another track but not the deal.. must've missed out - jus checked and it doesnt seem to have it anymore.. i guess its back to amazon then... thanks anyhow Graeme
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:56 pm

yep looks grim mate..................

worth a q&a to stuart though..they must have stuff..the stills 10" is the only thing you cant pick up easily...i thought we woulda got more as regards bits an bobs,maybe a g.h.t.g chrimbo card...........

http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/subscription
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 pm

The next best option, IMO, is to buy Stills in Flac format direct from Matador: 5 tracks at $1 each = $5. You can get all the other singles as well for a $1 a piece (no need to spend your cash on the tracks that are already on the LP, as there appear to be no mix/mastering differences--so I've discovered) Worth about a billion times more than that, I never knew about the subscription deal because obviously, I would have wanted to get the vinyl. *weeps*
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

yea - i ordered the Stills EP on iTunes actually and got a cd of the LP. I was hoping for a physical copy of the Stills ep but i see its only on vinyl... so it looks like i will just order them thru Amazon - the only store that carries it around here goes for $28... $18 on amazon (hell, thats practically a pitcher difference!). i jus didnt want to wait so long for delivery... ah well.
thanks for the tips folks
bolony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

$18? Seriously? Snatch before I do.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm

says 2 copies left... Wink parfait! on a funny sidenote...

"Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought..."
wilco - the album
CO - maudlin
B&S - bbc sessions
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - its a blitz
Isobel Campbell - Sunday at Devil Dirt
she & him - vol one

why the hell aint these canucks on here???
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm

tonybolony wrote:
says 2 copies left... ;) parfait!

Are you on Amazon.ca? Cause I can't find anything but "sold out" on .ca, .com, and .co.uk
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 am

yeah i ordered it on .ca for $18CDN which is about $17US even these days.. nice bargain considerin shipping was free too - just the stupid taxes.. i only ordered one so there is one left! theres the deluxe edition too for 21 but i dont know what makes it "deluxe" and the vinyl is 23. oh - i also see the Japanese import that has Howard Jones Is My Mozart and I'm In Love With The City on it as bonus but its 42bux and i already got those tunes.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Ahhh. I see where the cornfusion is - I thought we was talking about Stills, which is all sold out everywhere (as if it was ever sold in??) I bought the GHTG LP and CD back in June. And like I mentioned, was able to get all the Ep's direct from Matador in Flac format. Nevermind!

Here's hoping Stu releases a box set at the end of this project (maybe when the elusive film comes out?) that contains everything physical. I'd pay $100 for something like that.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 3:35 pm

he said on the site that the stills 10" would never be sold as a seperate entity............only to the subscriptees..............
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

graeme wrote:
he said on the site that the stills 10" would never be sold as a seperate entity............only to the subscriptees..............

He's so mean! :P
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Hmm... I discovered this today when digging around for the ephemeral Stills 10"

http://www.roughtraderecords.com/godhelpthegirl/2883/baby-youre-blind

A new one-sided 7" that appears to have a release day of May 23. No news or information other than that album cover and release date. Hmmmmmm......

[update:]

And here's the pre-order page at Rough Trade Shops:

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_detail.lasso?search_type=sku&sku=325774

The Shop page has more info:

Quote :
the last song for now to be recorded by god help the girl is 'baby you're blind'. it features linnea jonsson from swedish group those dancing days and may well be a case of saving the best 'til last. it's another perfect pop nugget from the pen of stuart murdoch. limited 7" only on rough trade.

The promo CD is already on ebay... I'll be biddin on it for sure.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm

sweet find Paul! i just checked and it was played on BBC just over a week ago (so we cant listen to it again!) here.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rww2n
...and on XFM.. i also found a video - that doesnt play so dont get yer hopes up here at the director's web-page... http://www.lisajlarsson.com/films/byb/
dammit
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:22 am

And FWEEEEEE!!! Stills 10" is shipped and on its way to me, can't believe I bloody found it. Some guy on Amazon wanted $50. There was another Buy It Now from korea for $120 (I wonder if that was even legit) but I dug around enough and found a sealed copy at Musicstack for 17 USD shipped. (Musicstack is basically Craigslist for music, except more more controlled/trustworthy)

There's another copy on Musicstack but the guy wants $45 and it doesn't even say it's in stock. I got lucky.

Super happy hats!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 am

ta for the info on the new 7"....nice little purchase that and finding stills..........
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

yeah - lucky man... i'm still grumblin that there aint no cd to buy... grumble grumble
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: god help the girl   god help the girl - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

god help the girl
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next