camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

All plugged in for the new album..

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

All plugged in for the new album.. Empty
PostSubject: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Quite a lot of posts from the band and various members on twitter, mostly. As the sleeves are rolled up and rum is swigged(when it doesn't end up on the floor) we ponder. So much has happend since the last album, children, marriage and the sad loss of Carey. As in most folks lives there will have been the full spectrum that rests between sadness and joy. The world also has been a bit mad.There has been no mention of location or production duties. The initial idea was to use Rockfield and this possibly is still the case. The delayed gathering may or may not have given "extra time" to further polish and craft the tunes.I was hoping for Helmsdale and Carwyn meself.

It will be the first recordings with Donna and I am sure she will bring idea's and be a really postive aspect of the process. The bands albums have all been different and are really strong in their different ways. The lyrical content for me has got stronger and stronger. I often would read them from the album sleeves and its then you can really apprieciate their beauty on their own merit.

The latest live shows a few years ago now seemed a bit more relaxed. They are a band who take this seriously as this is their chosen profession, for the most part. The art is finely honed and as mentioned the other day, will then be set free.When they tour this album finally I hope they get the crowds they deserve. As someone who has spent what seems and is a lifetime watching live music, it seems that more and more folk have a desire for live shows. Maybe its lockdown cabin fever, I just hope they can create a buzz and get the volume of media attention they should. They have a few high profile fans who hopefully will give them the big heave ho.

The band have used Twiiter quite well, they, by their own admittance for many years shied away from any personal attention. It was Carey who used it best wiith her witty, interesting and beautiful blogging. We found it a great insight to her, the dreams and stories of an everyday joy of life.The band are very approachable historically and friendly. They are far from superstars and I doubt that is something they would court. They are quite private people.They way I see it is they want to earn a living, to live their lives. To be able to attain that it needs people to support them, go to shows, buy their stuff. Even though its still around, the age of people passing round illegal dowloads has gone, streaming isnt very lucrative for the artists either. Its about arses on seats and to a lesser degree shifting wax. The is a much stronger desire to own the albums on vinyl these days, thankfully.

So, these are early days for the new songs and we wait. Pacing about like expectants. It really is about more than that at this crucial time. I know artists and bands who do this as a hobby, their lifestyle choices dictate how important it is to make an income. This band have always taken that element seriously but it doesn't wander into the songs or their art. They on merit should be selling out decent sized venues on a good sized tour. I really hope that this new album, springboards them onto greater things, especially in this country. I love this band, I go out and watch many other bands but Camera Obscura I rate pretty highly.

Tell your friends, take your friends, if they dont know the songs do a mix tape(yeah, I know) . I have written on here many times about there more the music is passed about, eventually it will have a positive impact on sales. The fuckers that passed MP3 albums about for £5, if the songs are great eventually a few or many will want to own the album. The trouble is and with there being more interest in vinyl, many of tbe albums now change hands for £££'s with not a bean of that going to the band other than the initial sale. I hope Merge are still handling the dealings over the pond.Christina is a massive fan as is the label in general. So thats it for now, ride the wave as its happening, buy the stuff, support the group, more power to your retweets and likes.. big love.
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyThu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 am

The economics of communication.Camera obscura have a good amount of followers on the Social media's.As a band and as individuals. Whenever they post they will get on a good day 20 replies on other days 3 or 4.I put a link to twitter for this thread, only Dave replied and liked(thanks) He is one of the nailed on, who will buy the album and see at least one show. The band have many fans like him but not enough, when you are trying to make a living. I am not selling anything, i dont need anything. I am a normalish bloke doing a 9-5 , if nobody reads my garbled nonsense, finacially it matters jot to me.I dont need to boost myself.

Mick Head who I support in a similar fashion, I buy everything he puts out and have seen him at least 30 times, a lot more probably. He doesn't play that often really. He doesn't like to venture too far away from Liverpool. He announced 2 shows at christmas 22nd/23rd December in Chester and York. He is not that well known even though he has been doing this as his sole income for well  over 30 years. He can get home from these shows in a day. They will sell out in 5-10 minutes, especially the Chester one. He just wants to put some cash in his pockets for christmas. The tickets will be about £25, he will fill a 300-500. When this was announced yesterday, Dave as mentioned was trying to whip up interest with two others on twitter. Thus turning a £25 sale into a £75 sale for the artist. There you have it, the power of social media. Its here to stay, except it and use it.

So please, please repond to posts from the band, retweet, like and spread the word. It can only do good long term. When Carey mentioned a post on here, over a 100 people turned up at this place I made for folk to jangle about the band, everyone one read and got off. I have mentioned it before, maybe fans of the band dont want to enhance and add their own opions. The followers of the band on social media may just be boosting their stats, like Jordan Henderson does with them shit short passes. Any ways enough from me (as if) try and help the band. Hopefully they can do it without this freak, shouting from the touchline. These are just my opinions, nowt to do with the band.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Beautifully put Graeme! I feel that you are spot on regarding the balance of life & work for a band and the approach that Camera Obscura takes. I miss live music and I really miss this band. True, I listen to them on a daily basis and try to keep their streaming numbers up on spotify and the like - my son is always telling me stats of the bands he listens to as a reference point. So for his generation, it seems to be an important number. I have noticed more use of twitter and have really enjoyed reading their posts. Daily life for a band always fascinates me especially in other countries.
Super excited about the recording and following tour on this side of the pond tho!
I am a huge proponent of this band and shamelessly recommend them any chance I get! I can still recall a former co-worker who first introduced me to them back when they only had 2 albums. I was having an extremely rough time at that office (loads of gossiping & lies - hugely toxic environment) and he came up to my desk and just said "pretty shitty place here.. listen to these - they will make you feel better". He was more correct than I could've imagined. So, I try to pay it back/forward while introducing people to amazing music! CO are such a household name for us that my kids are shocked now when their friends DON'T know them. In their wee minds, they are as known as the Michael Jackson's/Adele/Beatles. Ha - I've succeeded as a father!
All that to say that I am super hopeful that this coming year will be amazing and exciting for music!
Cheers!
~Bolony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 6:02 pm

Just saw on Instagram that the 2024 tour & new album announced! Toronto show on my birthday no less!! Gonna be a great year!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 6:25 pm

Yeah, fantastic news and Bowlie 3 as well.I am booked in for a few shows, Barrowlands,Manchester and bowlie 3. The new single is out on YT and its about to get really exciting.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 7:28 pm

I'm so hyped for this! We are going to try to get to Montreal and maybe Philly if we can afford it. I noticed the new track is already on Spotify too. Very exciting year for sure!

graeme likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All plugged in for the new album..   All plugged in for the new album.. Empty

Back to top Go down

All plugged in for the new album..
Page 1 of 1