camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nick

nick

FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends Empty
PostSubject: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:41 am

Alright all, just bought myself some new speakers and a turntable for my hi fi and bought myself some records. Vinyl seems very expensive on line, I got myself some second hand shop bargains in town last week and managed to get 'Tigermilk' new delivered for 9 pound. I'm dedicating 50 quid a month to getting myself a little collection of my favourites on vinyl, as I havent bought any vinyl really since the advent of cds - 89??

I wondered if anyone knew any good outlets for new or second hand vinyl, Amazon market place aint too bad but anyone recommend anywhere else on the web??
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:23 pm

75% of all the vinyl stuff I get is on eBay, New and used.
Is it just me or is it wayyyyy more expensive to buy vinyl outside of the U.S.? Actually, that brings up another question, am I the only American here???

Seriously though, I pay an average of $10/record (7-ish pounds??) for NEW titles, not second-hand (which I can grab for anything between $0.01 to $5.) It's cheaper than CD's at any rate, which seem to have sky-rocketed since my arch nemesis, the mp3, has taken the earbud market by storm.

(ps, technically the first Compact Disc was pressed and released for public consumption in 82, but I don't think it really caught on until Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms was released only in a digital and cassette format in 85 (for the US and UK, that is, I have a german pressing of it in vinyl, and honestly it's one of the only slabs of plastic I have for which I think the 0's and 1's sound better)
But I wasn't even born til 87, so how the hell would I know??? xD
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

saw this today on ebay... Your Sound EP - quite pricey but for the obsessed....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Camera-Obscura-Your-Sound-7-Vinyl_W0QQitemZ260522980562QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3ca86134d2#ht_1154wt_1080
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm

WOW - even more expensive....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Camera-Obscura-park-and-ride-7-Vinyl-Rare_W0QQitemZ250609304458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3a597a838a#ht_1232wt_1080

must make a few of yous think about selling eh?!
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

tonybolony wrote:
WOW - even more expensive....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Camera-Obscura-park-and-ride-7-Vinyl-Rare_W0QQitemZ250609304458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3a597a838a#ht_1232wt_1080

must make a few of yous think about selling eh?!

People who set buy it now prices that high just annoy me. If they bought those 45's new back in the day, they had to be 5 quid maximum. I suppose you could consider it an "investment" but I don't like to look at music I love like that. It's one thing if the sellers set up an auction and the bidders boost it up to $50...$100...$200, but actually asking that much up front is very off-putting. Even if I had the money to spend and was willing to fork over that much, I wouldn't give it to that guy.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 pm

i bought a second park & ride for £7.99 not so long ago...right place right time.............
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:35 pm

saw yer post on shack Graeme and thought i'd repost here...

any of you vinylheads have $3 million?? check out this guys collection...
http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound/formats/the-worlds-largest-record-collection/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends   FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends Empty

Back to top Go down

FAO Gra and other vinyl fiends
Page 1 of 1