camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Repost: Vinyl people, do yourself a huge sonic favor...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
paul

Repost: Vinyl people, do yourself a huge sonic favor... Empty
PostSubject: Repost: Vinyl people, do yourself a huge sonic favor...   Repost: Vinyl people, do yourself a huge sonic favor... EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 1:35 am

I posted this a few minutes ago on a Facebook Vinyl enthusiast group I'm a part of. Read for your own benefit.

I read an article RT'd by the Analog Apartment twitter recently about DIY platter mats:
http://audio.innerurban.com/innerurban/audio/labels/Cork%20Spotmat.html

Anyways, I needed a new mat for this turntable I bought at a garage sale which I planned to use at my office. I used the rubber mat from my home unit to sharpie a template onto a cork tile, and then cut it out with a utility knife. When I tested it on my turntable...

Oh

My

God

The difference between my stock rubber mat was more than just night and day, I put a record on (God Help The Girl) and, I'm not exaggerating, I nearly cried, it was so beautiful. There wasn't a inkling of hiss. The few pops I have on this mint condition first issue were almost completely muted, and all the while, the high-range stayed in tact, while bringing out sounds from the mid-range I didn't even know were there. I made this upgrade for a measly $5 and two minutes of my time, and I still have three more cork tiles leftover to turn other record players into sonic GOLD.

So please, do yourself a favor, get some corkboard and cut out a new platter mat. The difference you'll experience is beyond amazing.
Back to top Go down

Repost: Vinyl people, do yourself a huge sonic favor...
Page 1 of 1