camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

tracyanne & danny night & day manchester

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

tracyanne & danny night & day manchester Empty
PostSubject: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Was in Manchester yesterday to watch tracyanne & Danny. I know night & day quite well, its one of my usual haunts on a jaunt to Manchester, buying records and clothes normally, then a coffee and food maybe in night & day.Its a great venue on the small side. I wandered in to find the band on stage doing sound check, the were having a few problems, i sat and watched. After 20-25 mins it was sorted and off they went. The crowd looked quite small but it was only early. At 8.30 Henry Grace came on, a likeable chap who talks very lowly between songs, almost mumbles. He plays 5 of his own songs and two covers "Jolene" and "please,please,please let me get what I want". There is polite applause and he is gone.I had well taken my place against the stage by now, for all the usual reasons.

Then the band arrived I couldn't gauge the size of the crowd but by the sound they were making it had got a little busier. The band kicked in, sounded great quite comfortable with everything. The set was usual now it is a new band so they don't have a massive back catalogue to dip into, maybe given time. The songs are great, i have played this album a lot this year.A few lyrics forgotten and a few chords haha, shades of the past. It was hardly noticed though and soon the night is over, no encore which didn't go down well but they had played everything.

Hung about like a bit of a fan boy to buy a shirt as its nice to give something back in monetary form although £10 for t shirts is a good price. They seemed to do well on the merch stall which is nice to see. I could bang on a bit but really hope they can expand the fan base or at least the amount of folk that buy stuff. They both have been doing this a long time. I have been listening to camera obscura all day in the picturesque surroundings of Llangollen.What a great amount of beautiful brilliant songs and such a shame they never "made"it. There is a wealth of back catalogue there, maybe one day although i am sure things like the boat weekend we may re-ignite an interest but to be honest i think for the most part they will be preaching to the converted, ah, well upwards and onwards, Paris for me next, my favourite city with one of my favourite bands, perfect
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for your review Graeme! Its nice to get a feel for how they are doing. I too enjoy the T&D record and throw a CO album in quite regularly. My family and kids gravitate to Maudlin but i seem to draw towards LGOOTC with Desire Lines a close second.
Did you chat with them after the show?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi tony, i chatted a while, they are friendly enough and working hard. Did you see the quay session, can you get BBC i player? Not sure if you can, i am going to Paris to watch them and then bowlie 3 to look forward to, hope you are well....i listened to camera obscura a lot yesterday, so many great songs..
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Graeme,
No, I havent seen it but will look into it now. Im pretty sure we can watch the BBC player or there is a CBC version that taps into the same feed.
All is well here - thanks for asking. I sure do miss an active forum and, of course, new tunes. I wonder if they still get together to jam at the least - having kids does take much of your time. Not a complaint - its an amazing trade-off - just selfishly wanting to hear them play. Even if it were a cover tune and missing the incredible keys that we love so much. Sigh..
Going to listen to Come Back Margaret now i think..
Cheers!
Tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: when the musics over   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

I just lost about ,well a lot of words and with one mistake on the phone, I was about to give up but I will carry on for this one last post.I am in Paris primarily to see Tracyanne & Danny play here. It's an easy place for me to come to as my sister lives here, I come here a lot.Paris is a beautiful city and has several places I like to sit and think. As well as like any city places to sit, people watch. I am 58 now and music is a big part of what I am, in the 70s I loved soul, reggae.I went to shows with my sister, Bob Marley, Earth ,Wind and Fire, Marvin Gaye,Gladys Knight,that kind of thing.By 1980 I was going to shows with mates, there was a great Liverpool scene by then , The Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. I bought records, went to shows how much easier it was for fan and band a like.

I started this forum one night after seeing Camera Obscura in Jabez Clegg in Manchester. I had been posting a lot on the finest band forum on the internet www.shacknet.co.uk which this month celebrates its 20th birthday. It is run by fans of The pale fountains, Shack and Michael Head and The Red Elastic Band. It has nothing to do with the group, is and was always self funded. The label Violette Records was spawned by the site.

Okay, so I started this forum not wanting to mirror shacknet but just as a place to come if you knew about it, talk about say the music of Camera Obscura, an album, or track. Maybe you had just seen them live for the first time. I saw this band, bought all the music they were/are fantastic, I wanted if not the world, somebody else to know, to be given the chance to discover them. I have heard and love lots of music, Love, The Beatles,The Rain Parade,erm lots. I own them and love them, I am not on my own here, I call on them when needed.

The Camera Obscura attempts at doing websites were a burden to them and all seemed ill fated, there was no forum, they were rarely updated. Careys blog was/is great, she mentioned this place once and 98 people were on this all at once in 2010? An invasion, problem was they probably saw a few of my posts and were put off the thing. The people who have joined this forum and actually had anything to say are few and far between. The people who have posted have always been interesting and thoughtful, with something positive to say. I have really enjoyed everyone, I just wish there were more because I feel the people who enjoy this kind of stuff, just might have something insightful to bring to the table.

If I were a writer, someone in a band who created art and nobody had anything good, bad or indifferent to say about it I would be well miffed. Like all art,paintings,poetry,film,music what use is it if it doesn't form opinion. I know you may have no words for say Debussys "La Mer" I understand also to just take from it what it is, and enjoy it in your own way. Not everything is like that, we learn from debate, May be introduced to something new, the power of communication.

Tracyanne is a fan of music, like me, like most. Often when quizzed about the bands websites she would say she didn't understand why fans of the band would be interested in any of them, they are just normal people. I read yesterday that she still sends written fan letters, that was a great thing to read. When Carey died there was so much love for her, people knew her and were sad to hear the news. It was so nice I am sure for her family and friends to see that, she's left something behind for us,all to enjoy.

I just went on the Tracyanne & Danny Facebook page and I see 29 reviews, all positive 5* but so little in the way of the whys or anything else. Some whilst being a 5* check box with no opinion is still a 5* and it seems that this is the way of the world but to be honest, what does it mean? I went to Amazon and wrote a short review, by my standard hoping it would help someone click the button and buy, casual music fan wanting to hear something new. On reading through their facebook page.There is positivity in all but one of the comments. The negative one if you can call it that, highlights the fact that Tracyanne and Danny don't look particular happy on the photo, its for cheap laughs which never came. They are who they are and to be honest the whole band on the 3 times I have seen them this tour have looked more than happy to be playing these songs and for good reason. When they played Night & Day in Manchester recently, that was the most comfortable, happiest I had ever seen Tracyanne on stage. I have to apologize at this point for always being the person stood right in front of her, I am a small person although I do appear to be Ged Maxwellesque.

When I first heard of the album coming out i wasn't sure.I mean it was the fist thing for a while, everyone of the Camera Obscura albums are fantastic. Desire lines was unbelievably good, strong in lyric and tunes, like the ones before. I heard the songs being filtered out one by one. They sounded great. There was a lot, i mean a lot of concern, with good reason by Tracyanne about people downloading for free in the past and probably still now.I can really understand that and the thought of it hitting the pocket. To be honest though the downloaders of free music are for the most part never going to buy the music but it can maybe turn them or some into people who might turn out to hammer that mp3 of Desire Lines and think I must buy that, they may be older, now have a job, may have seen all the vinyl on television adverts and want a turn table. They may want to get off their,arse on a wet Thusday night and drive 80 miles to see the band play.

Not so long ago I drove to Bristol to watch Mick play, I was with two friends.It was a great journey and a great excuse to see a little of the city, spend 8 hours with two insightful music fans and see a really good show. Over time the trip will be remembered as being a,great day, worth doing,like so many before, with music the core catalyst but not the overiding enjoyment. I spent a day at Hebden Bridge just like this, many great,away days.

I have spent such days watching Camera Obscura in various places,Manchester,Leeds,Sheffield,Shrewsbury,Leamington Spa, London, Camber Sands, etc. I support them, not in a blind way it has been totally worth it, every trip. Even now I like the idea of some way putting coiffeurs in their pocket so they have the means to carry on, in a small personal way. I come away from the merch stall with something. I probably have a story for most of the shows, sometimes with friends, sometimes on my own. Some are so long ago its hard to remember. Like the show in London, with The Clientele, Frightened Rabbit.

Next year I already have some things planned, Hipsville Soho , the Boaty Weekender and its good to have things to look forward to. As in my past like in my early 20's, music and clothes are the my passion, my wardrobes are full now though. So, I suppose it just Music, live shows and places. There is a lot of bands coming out of Merseyside now, some are friends bands and one or a few have albums out this week.They are pushing the information on Facebook and Twitter, people are sharing, trying to create a buzz, maybe it will "trend". The people who know the music or them a friends, share,like etc. I heard Tracyanne genuinely be concerned about people dropping their download code, yesterday. I really, I mean really hope the music keeps coming, there is a lot to take in, the musical world is so disposable now. I always remember David Fricke on the Wilco DVD about YHF saying great art will always be heard, he wad right to some degree, I suppose but how may people,units,markets,its a great film.

So, what next I dont know , it can wear you out I am sure.I am looking forward to seeing Camera Obscura on the ship and Tracyanne & Danny and the other groups, it should be great. I am or was a massive fan of ATP. For the band, who knows they all have their other stuff going on as well I suppose. All things change, who knows maybe a new member of the family, maybe even a new Camera Obscura track or two. Whatever the future brings, the rides been great so far, thanks for the music.

Camera Obscura, The Pale Fountains,Tracyanne & Danny, Shack, Colorama, Michael Head til I die.

Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptyFri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Hey Graeme.
Read this post back in December-ish and reread today. Not sure why I didn't write anything before but wanted to say that was a great post. Full of heart and hope - something I think fans of CO share. For me, I came to this forum looking for like-minded fans of the band to chat about all things music using love for this band as a jumping off point. They will always hold a place in my heart (and on my music player). I've told this before but my point still rings true about how amazing it must be for bands if they can only realize this little tidbit. I am technically only 1 fan who bought 1 copy of each album (I actually bought a couple of them but besides point). I played that album incessantly for months and continue to throw it at regular intervals. My entire family knows many many tracks off by heart. My kids have grown up with Camera Obscura as our regular daily music. To them, CO are as big and known as Michael Jackson was to me in the 80s. They hear French Navy as often or more than Here Comes the Sun. They are genuinely surprised when their friends ask who the band is. It's a massive part of our everyday life and will become nostalgic "heart songs" for them. All this to say the band would have NO idea of this impact. Especially since it was only 1 album sold! Because of that, I do my best to throw my meager support their way whenever I could. If only to keep the amazing music coming. I wish, as does the band I'm sure, that they were more widely known and appreciated like they deserve.
We have plans to get to one or maybe even two of the T&D shows in June. Hoping to bring the kids along but they will be too young to get in. If we're lucky, maybe they will do a record store thing or something all-ages.
I keep one eye open for any signs of new stuff and would appreciate any heads up for any project the band members may be part of.
I do so miss the days of this forum when there were a dozen or so active members sharing thoughts and music and the like. I need all the friends I can get. Wink
Tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester EmptySat May 11, 2019 8:42 am

touche tony, great post...and this is the thing, that recent Twitter review of the 10 year anniversary had about 100 #'s I don't think it trended but at least there was some interweb camera obscura action with them trying to "use" the medium of the world wide web. You know very well as I do that there have been many failed attempts at this even in the simple delivery of a website. There are many reasons to the failure of any continuity, one is initially Carey was the one for the most part, blogging, her thoughts,insights and meanderings were very entertaining and interesting. She mentioned this site once, there were nearly 100 people on this at the same time, amazing. Here is the thing though not many, if any at all decided to join and actually have an opinion? The failure of all the Camera Obscura official sites have failed through not being maintained, updated and lack of interaction from what I am sure is an articulate fan base. Dare I mention www.shacknet.co.uk who through the label violette still maintain to promote, endorse and let the artist perform whenever they want and produce music at their own pace. This site has now been alive for over 20 years and a vessel for great art. The posts have dropped because of the other instant Meds but it is a constant and always will be, it is a credit to the internet and the finest site of its kind, anywhere. I was in durham recently to see tracyanne & Danny play, in a small laundrette to about 60-80 people, just the two of them with a backing tape, it was sold out which is always a nice play to be, as is their first warm up/come back? show is in Glasgow the week before the boaty week ender, fantastic.

I chatted to tracyanne she was on good form, said the rehearsals had gone well, there is no end game I think for Camera Obscura although I am hoping it acts at a catalyst to create new songs for the band, leaving tracyanne with a foot in both camps, at her\their own pace. All the Camera Obscura output and I may be biased but I listen to a lot of music new and old, has been more than fantastic. I love this band and have been lucky to see them many times and support their output. Their attempts at web sites have always fallen short of what they could be and there is no doubt that it could have been different if the previous official site had changed and was updated and had an active forum. It may be too late to change that but there still is massive love for this band, from a world wide perspective..It was often said that they were or have been overlooked in this country and I have seen that occasionally at live shows. This is why this sold out show and I realise it is a hometown show is important if there is to be any further shows, new music when the dust settles after the boaty weekender. Tracyanne played a new song at durham but still the paranoia of someone recording it on a phone kicked in "Please dont record it on anything as my record label won't like that and may not put it out" it was half joking but there is a serious under current that has been a constant. There is no way Merge would let this influence anything, I know Mac reasonably well, it just wouldn't.

This is an element that has always hindered a possible expanding fan base, someone may download and album at 14 for free and love it, play it to death, soak it up and spew it out to themselves at bath time. The next time the band come by, they want to see them play, they may want to buy a t shirt. They may buy a record player at 23 due to the vinyl revival, they may want to own everything. They may have to buy of discogs, they will be more than happy to be any reissues if the stuff isn't readily available or too expensive.A limited vinyl version of rare bird may come out on RSD20,
bigggest bluest hifi may be reissued etc. The fear needs to be left behind, these robbing bastards who take your art for nothing as long as the art is strong enough will be lining your pockets somewhere down the line, if the have any appreciation of great music, I am sure. I do understand the artists frustration and someone who downloads 20 albums in 5 minutes may never listen to the down load, they will just wipe it because they don't understand, it's their loss and doesn't cost the artist anything. I think very few folk sell bootleg CDs anymore, it is harder to bootleg vinyl, although some do (see BBHF on ebay) This current trend for vinyl will be hopefully be a few more sales for the band .David Fricke sums it admirably in yhe Wilco doc "i am trying to break your heart".The delines just reissued "Colfax" for RSD i was straight on it. If Coles Corner were reissued it would get many purchases, its a fantastic album, as is Biggest bluest hifi.

The money is to be had playing live but with young families, jobs dare I say age (haha I am thinking rolling stones here) it gets harder over time, it is easy to become jaded by the industry, I saw this many,many years ago when acting as stage crew 1984 for echo and the bunnymen at the peak of their power. A band that still sell out playing what is effectively a greatest hits tour? This band lost their creative edge for me in 1986 but still sell big places out here and the states etc, nostalgia fall out. I really want tracyanne and I mention her only as she is really the only one out there, still getting her arse out the house to bring us the songs, to get to a place were she can live off all the beautiful songs we have. Another Tesco ad or something similar would be great.

So what now? I am looking forward to Barcelona, and Colorama next week, Edwyn Collins later on this year, will grab more than a few words with Carwyn and later this year Sean. The boaty weekender looks great and hopefully will see more than one show, if I can get in and hopefully there will be some new fans\ customers to be had, this is an industry, a business after all. I am looking forward to seeing Tom and Orynthia on board, and a few others, Si and Sally, Alex and Adam, Jordan(my eldest) and Leone. He grew up on CO like your kids Tony, and here he is finally seeing them? My job done, he loves a lot of the band's playing also, Japanese breakfast, B&S etc. I am hopefully going to see at worst some brilliant shows and at best brilliant shows, renewed interest in our band and further shows and music running parallel with tracyanne & Danny a big ask\pressure on her to keep on delivering.At your own pace missus, enjoy the trip. Please join this forum, you will be more than welcome, if you are reading this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tracyanne & danny night & day manchester   tracyanne & danny night & day manchester Empty

Back to top Go down

tracyanne & danny night & day manchester
Page 1 of 1