HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

bowlie 3/the boaty weekender

Go down 
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

bowlie 3/the boaty weekender Empty
PostSubject: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:44 am

Just making you aware of this next year, it will be 20 years since the first bowlie at camber that spawned many marvellous ATPs ,there is a feed on twitter...it was banged about that this would br a bonafide cruise to distant lands with ,I would of thought curation by belle & Sebastian, don't know what the format is now, will be great to watch it unfold...
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:18 am

http://www.theboatyweekender.com
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 1:52 pm

okay, just lost a post, know I should have saved it, damn. Okay so this trip, I can happily call it the trip of a lifetime but I really hope it happens again , folk think it will lets hope so. I will deal with tracyanne & danny and camera obscura first. Tracyanne & Danny played the Atrium first, a decent size. For people who have seen them before it was the same kind of set as normal except that danny did a new song on his own. Laura Cantrell joined them for a version of "Glass Armour" I am sure it was this show, we saw so much.So a couple of things, they were really well received and seemed to be really enjoying the show. There were lots of older fans and some newer ones seeing them and camera obscura for the first time.

I  talked to danny over the next few days, seemed to be enjoying his down time as this is the thing, when not working (a feeling Fiona Morrison didn't get on the ship) the groups were enjoying the cruise as well as everyone else.I doubt many would choose a cruise as a holiday, but the music and vibe made this so much more,perfect. I spoke to tracyanne a little, she let on to me, nearly didnt recognise her in holiday mode, hair up and arms  full of merch. I think or hope most people didn't try and gatecrash their holidays, it didn't seem so. I am sure they met lots of new friends too.

The first camera obscura show was obviously something I have been waiting for, for a long time  like everyone else.The first show was on the pool stage, it is a headliners stage the sound was perfect, great quality, very clear. Again, I would call it a normal set  if there is such a thing, they sounded great, so happy to have them back. They were as tight as ever(musically speaking, not at the bar) you would think they had never been away. The songs sounded fantastic,  they were "alright, the band was all together" .Tracyanne introduced Donna AKA Mary Poppins  there was a real warm welcome for her.The crowd were great, clapping in all the right places, beautiful. The band were really enjoying it, so was everybody else.

The next day Camera Obscura played the Atrium, a smaller venue with two levels. The back drops to this stage is amazing, films and stills of the trip so far. They came on to a hero's welcome it was a noisy, loving crowd full of anticipation for the second show. Again, the set was of the normal kind, don't get me wrong when I say normal it's far from boring.They have wealth of back catalogue that is rammed with gems. Every song sounds amazing. This room suits them, many songs being shouted out. It was overwhelming for them and us. The time flew so quickly ,I think tracyanne welled up a few times, I don't blame her. She introduced Donna again, then said she must stop doing it, she is one of camera obscura. True to her word the following night she didn't.Donna has a great voice and chooses her moments well,  she also is lovely, you know it and has brought something new to the band. Everytime there were chants of "Donna,Donna" which was great to hear.

I had a long chat to Nigel, always great to meet up and chat for a while.The nicest of men always has time for you The last night was at the Stardust lounge a big theatre venue. I hoped this wouldn't lose the atmosphere of the previous show , a lot of seats to fill. The band came on, the room sounded great, not full but not far from it, there is so much going on, onboard. The show ran slightly late so some had left the queue to watch Hinds.The band soon got back on schedule after a rushed sound check. They were met with the same outpouring as the previous night. The show started, the sound, the lights the songs, so perfect. I think Tracyanne didn't know what to as everyone was seated, this was a party ship and I think the last thing she wanted was to lose that vibe. She summoned people to get up a dance and plenty made their way to the front to dance  which had a ripple effect. They played around with the set list to keep the dancers dancing, I know they had a worry they would run out of upbeat eventually. Indeed they did after the stages decisions "we will miss the 3rd, play 4 and 5 and come back to 3" hahaha, to be honest the show was very upbeat. They treated us to a few oldies,keep it clean, 80's fan, books written for girls. The latter I absolutely adore. They finished as they had the other nights as you would expect with Razzle dazzle rose.

Okay, here we go, this trip was more than a success,  Whyte horses, alvvays, Hinds,Campfire Social, Honeyblood, infact every show I saw was great. Long time fans of the Fannies saying the second show they did on the ship was the best ever.The whole thing was a joy, catch the vibe in the press, on Facebook,  whatever. As for Camera Obscura it seemed and I hope they won over new fans. I hope these fans buy the music and tickets if this thing gets its second wind. Dare I repeat myself and say this is their living. Some have returned to full time jobs, it would be hard for them I fear to tour constantly.
I think the desire will be more than there to entertain people and sell out decent sized venues. This country I feel has never got behind them in any big way, it well documented. I know Carey was aware of this forum and mentioned it once and immediately roughly 100 clicked on a read, it's all me for the most part, with my bad grammar. We need educated folk with good grammar. I get sick of seeing my opinions on here , please join and get me off the board.Facebook and Twitter are okay but they are not forums. This can be used for news and there is nothing in it for me, other than to share a love of Camera Obscura music.Lets hope they will carry on touring or at least dip their toes in to see if this thing can carry on beyond the waves. This is my hope for them and the folk yet to hear these songs.
The two nights at st Luke's and the boaty has shown there is a desire them to tour and hopefully make new music.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks so much for the review Graeme! I knew you'd pop on here and I've honestly been a little anxious to read it - i so wanted to get overseas for this incredible sounding venue / excursion but it just wasnt in the cards for us.
I have thought of the band often and wondered if future music was ever to be on the horizon. It sounds as though this show, this type of venue, may be exactly what they needed as a band. It lifts my hopes for them and with any kind of luck or justice, their fanbase will grow and inspire them and be inspired by them.
You mentioned Nigel - I didnt know he was playing the show too! Sadly, I never got to see them when he was a regular. Did they have any other musicians step in on percussions, strings or horns?
Absolutely sucks that I couldnt have gone - it sounds like it was a fantastic weekend! So jealous of ya.
Tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:38 pm

hi Tony nice to hear from you, derek.is on twitter these days so I see / read his posts. It was the usual band and they sounded great, nigel was on great form. Donna is the new keyboard/ vocalist and she is fantastic. The shows were absolutely amazing and hopefully it will act as a springboard. Tracyanne said this band is the "love of her life" she meant it. Obviously her family is a separate issue and she meant from a working perspective I am sure, it was hard not be taken along by the love for the band
They all really enjoyed it, you can see that in the several videos on youtube already. It all couldn't have gone any better, the band dancing about at the late night Disco's. It was a working holiday after all, but business and any future plans would have been at the forefront of any thoughts ,when the dust dies down.

The forum had a lot of people reading it after the write up, it's a shame that folk will read my spouting off but have no opinion themselves? Half of the crowd were north Americans, there was a pure joy of an atmosphere as you would expect. The love for camera obscura and tracyanne & danny was beautiful to see, it seems that there may be another one and soon hopefully. Though stuart being interviewed for BBC6 didnt seem so sure
That was halfway through though, in sardinia.All in all it was exceptional, be nice if your circumstances are different next time, so many like minded new friends from this trip. cheers.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 pm

bowlie 3/the boaty weekender Dsc01910
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bowlie 3/the boaty weekender   bowlie 3/the boaty weekender Empty

Back to top Go down

bowlie 3/the boaty weekender
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
camera obscura :: Camera Obscura-
Jump to: