camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

she,him&them(fan base alpha)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

she,him&them(fan base alpha) Empty
PostSubject: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

having a read on facebook at the mixed response to announcement and some are typical,what? camera obscura not headlining? and a few pops at she & him(i am a fan of matt and zooey)i`d like to add....and here is my take,i started this bedraggled forum to have my say,facebook aint the place,so this is for you and a few muted passers by,firstly,i know this is tricky coming from me n`all but"STOP BEING SO FUCKIN PRECIOUS" right,thats out of the way now....okay,I`ve waited as long as most for the re-emergance of the band,sure I was lucky enough to see them the last time they played(coming up to 50 months ago) and I know people have been waiting longer,so maybe my previous comment doesn`t stand up...okay,so where are we all.....camera obscura have been putting out little hints about the new album,nothing productive,playground whispers,lots of tambourine`s and that...okay,the leisure society will put up nearly half a track to promote their new album/tour...by their own admittence camera obscura are just a little retarded in using the internet,they are trying a bit more these days,but constant links to old stuff the likes of us have heard hundreds of times(little donkey/peel burns etc)doesn`t really hold up,i am a fan of this band,make no bones...and i ain`t typin a slaggin cos they`ve got my support,in this bubble they have made new tunes,got them to 4AD and we await hopefully as consumers,the trick still being missed is not releasing or re-releasing the earlier stuff on vinyl,or even rare uk bird,if they are allowed to,they may not have the rights..the same goes for paul westerbergs stuff,but having received a big fat cheque from open season and penning some glen campbell tracks he probably doesn`t need the dollar.couldn`t happen to a finer bloke....anyways back to this...i am sorry it seems a european tour maybe later in the year,hopefully...i don`t know..maybe the band do? on the road with she & him is good exposure and they will probably have the comfort of meeting up with mac,laura and christina etc through the obvious connections....also with francis not being around it helps to have that family(merge)to support and hopefully get them radio stuff,etc.....*and the obligatory nic harcourt interview(god help him)...for me it wouldn`t suit to see them supportin 40 minute`s(thats my newts not min its) but beggars cant be choosers for me a set that short would frustrate(it may be longer,i don`t know)...i have been watching them a fair bit now,and this country aint that kind to them......but a few advert exposures have been handy but on the whole i`m sure the band have no idea who and how many may turn up at any given time...maybe that will always be the case?...listening to various bootlegs of the last american tour there seems to have been quite a lot of noise,at the likes of the cellar door especially,a few kids singing along to lyrics on their phones(french navy)the girl who had been"to the bathroom with georgia hubley" etc,this new tour will at least hopefully expose them to folk who wanna listen,should be a different age group and they are in for a treat.......lets just try and get some perspective on this,cos i fuckin hate the industry....the members of camera obscura finally left their jobs to give this full on attention.they have 5 excellent albums,the aforementioned yo la tengo have 30 albums....i always feel,and reading and listening to interviews the art versus the wage is bout 50/50 importance it seems...i`m not saying for a minute that the band compromise their output cos they don`t....i am really hoping for a fantastic new album,one that will give me as much pleasure as the others...i deserve it,can`t wait for it and pay me cash,from me working days to pay....i haven`t looked at were the tour is playing,they can`t please everyone i`m sure,the fan base leans towards america,mexico,brazil...sure there is interest here,europe and the east but camera obscura take the big plan seriously...i know it,you can tell...they`ve gotta keep this thing moving and that takes interest from fans,radio,record companies,tv...its a whole ball ache these days,for me i hope they all get the recognition they deserve......its hard work believe it or not to swan about,plane it to different place and meet deadlines,watch the radiohead film,watch the wilco film...its a right insight...i wouldn`t trade places anyways....so embrace the idea,if your lucky enough to see them play,lets us know how it went....i started this site to spout...hoped other fans would join us...very few have or did.......anyways,good luck with the tour and i hope the new songs are received well,i`m sure the casuals will be hooked.......keep on keepin on...hopefully see you somewhere later in the year(the glasgow show was gonna be tricky).......upwards and onwards

Last edited by graeme on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 pm

hahaha lurkin already...by the way, i love this band...(for the record)
Back to top Go down
fabdrone

fabdrone

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Blimey Graeme, epic streams of consciousness . Hopefully Cam Ob. will throw us a titbit of some kind ...and a few shows before striking out to the great wider world

She and Him...take it or leave it probably the latter a good little project past it's sell by date. To see ZD at her best watch "All the Real Girls" US indy movie .Fantastic.

Onwards...........................
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm

alistair simm looks a bit like an older seabrook there...hahaha i have enoyed she & him,a matt groening ATP(i think i was the only one of us lot who did hahaha) still trying to post manja & the maytrons thing to here...i think i`ll have to upload to spotify or summit first..................onwards indeed
Back to top Go down
fabdrone

fabdrone

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Perhaps a mail to Seabrook Mister will help you link it or something-he knows these things..........
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 pm

mixed bag of emotions there Gra.. i feel what ya mean. I personally am very excited about seeing them both together. really like she & him and i'm sure the exposure can only be good.. i told my wife about it the other day and her first question was "who's opening for who?".. far as we're concerned, its no question but she n him have a pretty big fanbase here - most know em from movies and other projects an all. once i really thought about it tho - i was a bit saddened to think of only seeing a 40min or so set.. if they do some record store shows or something, i will have to get to em. the locales for me are fantastic - 4 shows in a 6 hour radius.. gonna make it to most likely two. the fam here is pretty pumped about the new album.. i can sing "spent a week in a dusty library" and all 3 will belt out the next few lines and carry on! guess Im corrupting proper-like! digressing.. Im sure some tidbits will start popping up like last time around.. radio show here, park performance there.. still absolutely love the swans live tune done in the campervan.. and we heard that weeks before the album release. Im positive this tour will bring more fans on board and they deserve them.. i am a little selfish in that i really enjoy the smaller venues because if they get as popular as they should be, the venues will get bigger and more expensive and not as intimate. ah well, that'd be the price of fame i guess. Im still patient enough not to pee me pants but for how long??...
~bolony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

ironically, the last thing i posted in the "single of the day" thread was she n him cover of Oh Boy.. weird..
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 am

"like a chainsaw running through a dictionary"...hi tony,and happy new year,yep just me usual garbbled nonsense...geat news for you about the shows,at least we can be confident on some kind of eye witness feedback...i`ll swing this to their facebook when the time comes and hopefully we`ll get a few more accounts from newbies..............
Back to top Go down
steven64

steven64

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 am

Graeme, lot of food for thought in your post. As fans of our favorite band we always want them to do well and to continue to create great music. Also, we expect a lot from the band like this personal connection to them to communicate with us on what they are doing. Are they making a new album, will they be performing new shows, etc, etc.

I don't know anything about the music business. I could not play a musical instrument or sing a song to save my life. It seems like the music business is a tough business to make a living. I feel you are correct there is probably a balance between making money and creating music. If you don't make enough money to support yourself, family and the band, why continue on creating music? But, then as band you need to create music or play shows to make money.

Many of my favorite bands have disbanded or living off of their old songs. This is not "The Last Song" for Camera Obscura. They have a new album and new shows on the horizon which is exciting. Just got to be patient....

I love CO's music and this is just me spouting my opinion....
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 pm

as a fan, you always want the best for your band and hopefully a part of being that fan is that they continue to make new and interesting music, a few people including people who are in the buisness assume because there is no output then its ended and dont look any deeper....but historically there have been long gaps of apparent nothingness from the band and they have a mutedness until recently where they will mention or hint at stuff on facebook...like most i can`t wait for them to perform again and hopefully a great mixture of new and old stuff will pour forth......bring it on..
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 am

been thinkin bout this thread and the overall theme of 'big evil music machine' and i cant argue with the rants of those who rip popular radio apart and how it seems so disposable.. they like the tune for a week and on the next an all.. funny, with that in mind i watched this random interview with TAC and CL just before the sweetest thing single was out.. i can appreciate that they think of themselves as a cult band and will remain to some extent a cult band.. Tracyanne says somethin about them getting bigger, wanting to get bigger and how it leads to having the time and luxury to express themselves more.. and take it to the next level and esentially make a record better than the records theyve made.. but i really think Carey really nails it when she says that they wont be an enormous world band "but i dont think we've reached everybody who could potentially like our music yet". to me, i think that's the heart of it all.. it captures the essence of what they're trying to accomplish.. the rubbish thats out there can stay there.. whatever.. an the only thing that truly reaches me, is music and bands like this.. in my mind, this band has got a way to go before they reach their potential but if they keep this stuff in the forefronts of their mind, the amazin music will continue to come and they will stay true to themselves..
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 am

would hate to see them just churning it out,especially with such a treasure of back catalogue...but it remains to be heard,the new one...................i had/have my doubts about it,maybe in the way you try and dampen and play down things to avoid disappointment...i wonder about lyrical content,tracyanne has been from my interpretation, content/happy? for a while now,her relationship with tim seems stable and historically she dug deep into her own discomfort/heartbreak for insperation.....she said in her last interview on KCRW that she`s doesn`t want to rely on her own emmotions to get her job done so much...we will see/hear......as i said,really looking forward to this thing moving to the next stage,and nice to see the forum serving purpose........they take their art seriously i know,but as mentioned there is a flip side to the biz you`ve gotta play the game some,..nice one
Back to top Go down
steven64

steven64

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks Tony for uploading the interview with Tracyanne and Carey. Like Tracyanne says "More Fans, more fans".

I myself do not like most stuff that is being played on popular radio. Though I believe radio is still the best way to reach the masses. Hope the new album's songs will get radio play.

I think with each new album a band puts out, there is a certain amount of risk. Will it be better or worse than the previous albums? Will it sell? Will it appeal to the current fans? Will it bring fans? etc, etc. I have faith and confidence that new album will contain amazing songs that we will enjoy. CO has a proven track record from their previous albums.

I think CO has a gig at the end of the month. Hopefully, they will play their new songs and someone will upload so we can listen....
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am

yeah,or at very least give us some kind of write up.....when the gigs kick in i`ll promote this on camera obscura`s facebook...bit cheeky i know but its for the long term good...last time carey linked it we had 98 on at once,no-one stayed though.....decated bunch of saddo`s did she call us? the obscuraphiles................
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:37 pm

and we have our first listen of volume 3 available on NPR site...
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/28/178857227/first-listen-she-him-volume-3?sc=fb&cc=fmp
only on first track but Im already sold!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: she,him&them(fan base alpha)   she,him&them(fan base alpha) Empty

Back to top Go down

she,him&them(fan base alpha)
Page 1 of 1