camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete

Pete

Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 Empty
PostSubject: Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11   Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey, as you may know I’ve been away travelling for a while, but on returning, I was delighted to see that ZVG would be playing in my hometown.

We were actually sitting having a quiet drink in a bar prior to the gig, when the whole band turned up. We had bumped into them earlier and had just a quick chat, so they seemed happy enough to join us for a drink. Kim and MJ also seemed to remember me from the Edinburgh gig last year which kind of helped break the ice. What a lovely bunch of people. It was all really quite relaxed, and the band seemed happy to chat away, and have a laugh and a joke and tell a few stories. They all seem so happy and upbeat.

Camera Obscura come up in discussions, (may have been me ha ha!), and the band seemed delighted to let me know they were playing a gig over the weekend at a bar called Underachievers Please Try Harder. Very Happy

Sadly for Paul and others, it looks like the “Go Away Birds” output may a bit slow in coming for a while. Catherine has moved to Brighton, and although she and MJ are still friends, obviously, and will probably do something sometime in the future, I think MJ was alluding to the fact that they are both a bit distracted at the moment with current projects. There was mention of a film in the context of GHTG.

MJ then told me this was the bands 5th anniversary, and things really seemed to be moving forward for them all of a sudden. I had to admit honestly, that I hadn’t had much time to listen to the new album having only got my hands on it the past week or so, but mentioned this wee forum, and how there had been some fantastic comments made about the new album. Obviously, I was looking forward to spending some time with it over the coming months.

Apart from me bringing up the subject of the artwork on the last album and how brilliant I thought it was, I then had to ask the question about the “turn around once and tap three times” lyrics from The Best Treasures Stay Buried. This seemed to be a lyric that Matt had penned, and he got quite animated and maybe slightly frustrated trying to explain how it was something within the deep recesses of his brain, something from childhood, the school playground, but could not really put his finger on exactly where it had come from. I had to tell him, how for days, weeks almost, I was trying to find a source for this lyric, as it had frustrated me the same way on hearing it the first time. It seemed familiar, but I just couldn’t place it, and I knew it was something from childhood. I then mentioned my “Bedknobs and Broomsticks” theory. The band seemed to be genuinely thrilled on hearing this, and we had a laugh, while I joked about me being a bit of trainspotter/anorak/geek. Embarassed

MJ then pulled out a pen and a scrap of paper, and the band were teasing him, as this was going to be the setlist for tonight, and they were hoping it was not going to change mid show like it normally always does. I asked if I could take a photograph of him doing this as a bit of fun as his face was a picture, as he seemed to be really thinking quite hard and struggling with the setlist. I also managed to get this scrap of paper at the end of the gig as wee memento of the evening.

I politely asked if he could include TBTSB as I had never heard it live and really liked the track. The band all seemed to agree this was a definite possibility and MJ scribbled it down while I thanked them all. I was really looking forward to the gig, which happened to be a small intimate affair.

Setlist (as annotated by MJ, Sackville missed, and there was supposed to be a TFC cover but I think the band ran out of time)

Mountain
Cake
Sweathearts
Another
Islands
Ghosts
Karate
Extremities
Foxtrot
Tyrannosaur
Treasure
Bread

The new stuff really works well live, and Matt managed to get the crowd involved asking the left side to do a bass drum sound, and the right side doing snare. This was really funny and everyone was enjoying the fun. He also had the crowd doing a sort of backing vocal on Tyrannosaur.

Treasure was outstanding for me, so gentle, then thunderous kicking drums while the melodies of the guitar, bass and violin surrounded the place. What a gigantic track. I filmed this, the sound is not too bad, and will try and upload it later. It was nice of the band to mention Michelle and I had requested this.

At the end of the show, my tipsy daughter and her friends managed to get some photographs with Matt, who I must admit, seemed to be really be enjoying all the attention.

Great band, Love 'em.

Pete

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11   Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 pm

sounds amazin pete! pretty jealous here.. i'm dying to see em live.. i'm hoping against hope that somehow, somewhere on my trip to europe that they will be playing along my path of travel.. highly unlikely but ya never know..
seriously?! a bar called underachievers!! sounds like my kinda place!! what city is that in? i did a quick search and i think i found it here... http://www.underachieversclub.co.uk/upcoming-events-2/ but cant find where it is... interestin.. also found a blog called UPTH.. anyhow, great to hear ya mentioned the cool album artwork and got yer request in! always fun to hear them mention your name or at least that you requested. would love to hear em cover TFC.. bet it'd be fun!
yer pic didnt post tho pete..
great blurb here and yes, great band!
tony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11   Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:55 pm

yeah,an amazing review pete,,i was sorry i didn`t see more of their show at minehead......disco boppin with the in-crowd swung it against unfortunately....but one of the best nights i`ve ever had....
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11   Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey guys, nice to be back Very Happy

I am dying to get to this ATP's Gra, may have to wait a couple of years. Sad

I have difficulties uploading stuff here Tony, don't know why, but will try again.

Must say, both me and M have had a great weekend, meeting friends in Glasgow, and gushing about the ZVG gig.( We got 'em into CO, so they were all really interested in ZVG )

I have been racking my brains about your Euro vacation, but my thoughts are ...
... You are landing right in the middle of Festival Time, not many bands touring, but still thinking about it and anything comes up ... will let you know Wink

Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11   Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Zoey Van Goey - Dundee Dexters 9/6/11
Page 1 of 1