camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

essex green

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tonybolony

tonybolony

essex green Empty
PostSubject: essex green   essex green EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 3:12 pm

thought i'd pop em into their own thread..
i think it was Derek that gave me the lead on these guys who opened for CO back in 07... kicking myself that i missed those shows. they have been on hiatus for awhile now - facebook says a couple of the band had kids the past few years and that would put a damper on touring to say the least..
oh here's part of the previous post i did...

Quote :
This is what I know....The Essex Green have been essentially on hiatus since October 2008....the last time they updated their official website was around then, after they played a show in New York....Over the last two years, two thirds of the band have become first time parents (Sasha Bell welcomed a baby daughter into her life, and Chris Ziter and his wife also had their first child!) So, I'm assuming this is part of the reason for the hiatus...

STILL hoping against hope that theyve been recordin and hav a new album for 2010.. and do some shows. i'm also in the forum for Elephant6 here... www.e6townhall.com but i hafta admit i havent followed it too too closely of late. still looking for the "Brooklyn Basement Tapes" which precede their albums..

i checked out some of their other projects... like Sasha Bell's solo stuff under the name "the Finishing School".. really great stuff - ordered the cd months ago and has had alot of play.. also, there's "The Sixth Great Lake" which preceded EG and then further back is "Guppyboy" which i've only heard the sample tracks on the official site... http://www.essexgreen.com/music.html
oh and can't forget "the Ladybug Transistor" which have EG members in it too but a different approach to the music - i personally prefer all the Sasha Bell leads to Gary Olson - the regular lead but the music is great nonetheless.
EG also were featured on a "shout out louds" cover of "streams of whiskey"

Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 3:16 pm

didna meant to post yet... oops..
Cannibal Sea is both mine & my wife's favourite album of theirs but the other 2 are pretty solid too..
it must be said also that Derek is totally right here...
derek wrote:
Essex Green were definitely a great CO opener. Saw them at Warsaw in Brooklyn and Paradise in (awful, stupid, horrible) Baw-ston.

Actually... they were so good that I saw them again in a headlining show a few months later.

One thing I don't like about them... the opening of their song, "This Isn't Farmlife" sounds like a complete ripoff of the Belle & Sebastian song "Dirty Dream #2". Still a good song, just a ripoff.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Been loving this stuff for a while thanks to this Tony and this wee site.

It's great to listen too, and even better while on yer Hols :-)

So I'm in OZ at the mo, with all my daughter's bagpacker mates, and no wonder the music industry are saying they are in recession.

I've doubled my Ipod content overnight, have shared everything I own at the click of a button, and the kidz are trying CO, EG and GHTG etc. They don't really get it Crying or Very sad

Perhaps off topic - One guy here has an Ipod with over 15,000 songs - all shared, nothing purchased.

No one has the intention of buying the albums - the quality is sufficient for them so why should they ? They have it for free and think nothing of it.

And another OT - why are all the kids digging the blues ???

I now seem to have an Ipod crammed with 1930's Blue's, John Lee Hooker, Clapton, Creedance Clear Water Revival, and loads of oldie stuff etc. etc.

... and the thing is, its me thats out of fashion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 pm

was wondering if anyone here has their early stuff... they were part of a Happy Happy Birthday to Me Records 7" single... its referred to as "singles club #8"
two tracks on it that are double-tracks from what i gather...
anyone here seen hide nor hair of it?? websearch is not finding it..
i can see on discogs.com that it was issued on burned cds as well but i have not even heard the tunes and that website is user-submitted so sometimes has errors..
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Essex+Green,+The

bolony
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 am

never heard of it tony.......
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 5:52 pm

saw some activity with these guys on their fb page lately.. talk of new songs and tour - would LOVE to get a date somewhere close to home! I'm sure they'll play NYC at the least - 6 hour drive but would be worth it. i know some folks were turned off of em for the similarity of some tune to belle & sebastian but they have been in fairly regular rotation in my house for years now. even the kids like em so we'd have to hope for an all-ages show too maybe...
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

essex green Empty
PostSubject: Re: essex green   essex green EmptyFri May 13, 2016 1:37 am

site has been sadly lonely for some time now..
on a positive note the Essex Green are back at it now recording and some shows. I havent seen anything close to home yet but they are going to Sweden in June if anyone over there is interested. Im pretty pumped that there is news at all about this band - its a family fave.
Hoping to hear even better news from CO..
~tony
Back to top Go down

essex green
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
camera obscura :: Camera Obscura-
Jump to: