camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Site Suggestions ?

Go down 
+3
graeme
paul
Pete
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
paul

Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Pete wrote:
absolutely clear Paul !!

in the meantime, if we were compiling info, as in "text" what format should this be in ? For example, if I started to work on say a band history, discography or site introduction.

also, can all this info be cut n paste from all over the net - I would assume unless people were credited, there would be copyright issues ? so most of this stuff would have to put in our words - so to speak ?

pete

It can be in whatever format you prefer. What'll happen when it gets posted to the site is you'll just copy and paste it into the Wordpress "new post" or "new page" dialouge, much like you would create a new topic or reply here on forumotion.
I'm planning on giving you an admin account on the site once i've got it properly set up. You'll see what I mean then, it's very easy and intuitive, no web programming knowledge needed - If you can use Microsoft Word, you're already overqualified.

As for credit/copyright stuff, I'm not really sure how it works. When there was an article or interview I wanted to cross-post on our site, I was planning on doing something like

Quote :
Posted on Someotherrandomwebsite.com on 12/12/2012...

Article text

[[direct url to original article]]

In this manner, we're basically creating an archive of everything C/O. If other sites go down, or they prune old articles for some reason, we've still got copies! However, I have no idea if that violates some copyright law or something. I remember Google getting in trouble a while back for their "Google News" aggregate, but I think the final ruling was in their favor. It's legal grey area, at best.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

fuck copyright,as long as we dont hit the band in the pocket and promote.........i`m sittin back an waitin....erm,carry on regardless...........alls i know is i`m sick to death of that shitter thing they are usin.........
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm

graeme wrote:
fuck copyright,as long as we dont hit the band in the pocket and promote.........i`m sittin back an waitin....erm,carry on regardless...........alls i know is i`m sick to death of that shitter thing they are usin.........

Razz Razz Razz Razz

yip G, I like your style Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 pm

graeme wrote:
fuck copyright,as long as we dont hit the band in the pocket and promote

aw hell yeah!! Im agreed with that! Im just gonna post some of my links agin - found a bunch in the past with good bios etc that may help these computer wizards set up the world's most comprehensive CO site! CHEERS folks!
tony

most of these are copies from some earlier posts on this forum.....

this is a good site listing most of their tracks and where they came from - the most complete discography of Camera Obscura that I've seen online:
http://www.twee.net/bands/c/cameraobscur.html

a link to a site with the lyrics to most if not all CO songs. also has a great bio with tidbits I didn't know but the bio has not been updated since before LGOOTC:
http://www.alwaysontherun.net/cameraobscura.htm

oh and another amazing bio page:
http://www.berubecommunications.com/html/CameraObscura.html

here's a link to a bootlegged show list with setlists - jus choose CO on the sidebar:
http://www.geocities.com/mouser19.geo/bootlegs/frame.html
again, i have contacted them with no responses but it gives good setlists for previous shows

here are 2 "Peel" bookmarks i have from long ago but still seem ok:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/2000s/2001/Dec20cameraobscura/
http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/20_December_2001
they are quite good for all-things-peel
Back to top Go down
L!

L!

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 6:24 pm

paul-h wrote:
Luca, I recently have gotten into B&S and love the site! Nice work!!
I'll set you up with admin access on allthefriends... and send you the ftp pass.
Graeme, Luca, and Pete of course, can you PM me an email address I can contact you at? Thanks

So... I'm going to snag cameraobscurafanclub.info and mirror it with allthefriends soon if nobody disagrees. I could do .com or .org or whatever else no problem, but at this point I'm leaning toward .info since nobody has said either way. Let me know!!!

You can email me at info@belleandsebastian.it, of course! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.belleandsebastian.it
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Okay, until Paul gets back in touch with the set up, I've been pulling some text from various sources.

My ideas for the Template Site Map, just as a sketch, and feel free to critique !!

Site Intro - ie. What we are about !
Latest News ( & Archives by Year )
Band - Bibliography, People
Discography - Singles, Albums, Compilations, Bootlegs, Live Songs & Cover Versions
Songs - Lyrics,Acoustic Tabs,Band Comments
Media - Video, Documentary, Acoustic Sessions, Photography
Tours - Current, Past, Setlists
Press Releases ( this may be part of the NEWS )
FANCLUB FORUM
Links

Some of these sections should be easy to compile very quickly, the Timeline info will be a huge trawl which we/members would have to add over time as snippets are found/contributed.

I wonder what the band will think if they googled CO and we came 1st or 2nd in the list Very Happy Would it be a nice compliment and surprise ?? - of course we would need to consider recipricol links with other forums Rolling Eyes

Pete
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 pm

This is nice. The first fan site I've built that I actually didn't have to do all the work. Usually I'm head developer and designer and content-filler and ...
Eventually I get so tired of keeping the fan site up-to-date, fresh, and moderated, that I get sick of the band that I'm maintaining the website for. :P
THAT'S OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME. You guys rock.

I'm incredibly busy this week with paid work, so it might be late before I have something ready to use and fill. But it's coming! I promise, I'm really excited. If you're really impatient and probably ADHD like myself, I keep up-to-minute status on all the projects I'm working on, including this, at www.twitter.com/mrbnatural42

Quote :
I wonder what the band will think if they googled CO and we came 1st or 2nd in the list Very Happy Would it be a nice compliment and surprise ??

Unfortunately it's not going to be a surprise because I wrote them formally to ask if it was OK to publicly post audience-recorded shows/sessions/etc (bootlegs) on the site. They haven't gotten back to me yet, but if it's confirmed, that's a nice little disclaimer we can post on the "Live" page... "These shows are approved for free distribution by the band themselves." Neat.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Paul

When did you write to the band ?

Was it in connection with "Allthefriendswecanget" or is this an old request ?

Just wondered, cos if its old, its a good sign ?

P

If new, I think you'll get a 4ad legal response ! ??
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 pm

Pete wrote:
Hi Paul

When did you write to the band ?

Was it in connection with "Allthefriendswecanget" or is this an old request ?

Just wondered, cos if its old, its a good sign ?

P

If new, I think you'll get a 4ad legal response ! ??

I sent it to them today, but I sent it via twitter direct message (basically like private messaging), so the band is going to get it, not 4AD. No matter what their response is, I'm actually surprised they haven't replied yet...they're usually incredibly quick with all that twitter crap.

They leave themselves incredibly accessible through the magic of the interwebs.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 am

just a quick by the by shack have never had shacknet as their forum...it has outlived however four official site,mick posted on there once,to say basically"keep up the good work" its gone past its 10 years because of the people that frequent it,and add to it daily,its living art..the tickets for the christmas show,i believe mention shacknet for the first time officially........yeah if the band like it great but not important,its for us not them..hopefully we already do our thing to support,i.e buy,listen and watch......................forums are for fans not for bands...........take a little trip to the official forum(and i`m not gonna us and them it?)but when it landed looked great,a notch up from the previous one...but there`s no passion about it....go look at the profile pics,sure they`ve updated it recently as regards the little info snippets but come on...some of the discog was cut and pasted from the previous..i know its well documented by themselves that they are not fond of the internet,yeah carey and kenny seem to have embraced twitter(awful),which for the most part is glorified back slappin...the official is a direct link to the band...but its pretty stagnant like a lot of other"official sites",if it were real it`d be gatherin dust....i also hate myspace but joined to link this in there....what a nightmare that is n`all a mixture of self promotion and well wishes......the site is good for tour dates,but they often change date and venue?where is the honey in the sun single?(hmv still advertisin "sweetest")it seems like i`m moanin some but i`m not particulary,all`s i`m tryin to say is they have their own place,good,better,worse....this is our forum,camera obscura will never put up a new album to download offa their site for anythin you wanna pay,they are mainly scottish for a start(sorry for the stereotype,its a joke)as for live stuff,the dummy was spat out rather bout the lleida 2006 film,even though the folk who filmed it said they had permission?you get the feelin that the band are kind of precious,and thats their perogative cos they are special to us and its their art to play with....as long as no-one up`s maudlin or anythin stupid,thats up to moderator to make sure that dont happen..as for live stuff the argument"oh,they might put the radcliffe sessions out officially one day"...don`t hold up...............the band are talented people,generous and beautiful...they deserve a"proper"place............i`m not slaggin the official off as i said because it does its job to a degree....but a forum is where the people who support mix it some...............they would be welcome like,i`m sure they are curious.....
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 pm

i think you have it completely right there Graeme - the band may check it out as a curiosity and may be somewhat flattered by a nice site but they seem very old-fashioned if ya will - like the way things were done several decades ago with respect to the music industry...they may twitter but i only ever see them chattin with friends and other bands that they know. the myspace and twitter are simply a way for them to keep in touch with each other while throwing the fans the occasional heads-up about shows and live sessions - its where i get that info anyhow. other than being able to listen to new tunes on myspace - its pretty useless for true fans..backslappin is right. 90% of the posts are "thanks for the add - check out MY band here..". whatever.. i would LOVE to see some proper releases of live session (ie Peel) but i'm sure its chock full of legalities and will never see the light of day so i'm fine with passin all that i can collect along...until i'm told otherwise, that is.. man, now i'm ranting! oops. i just love the band, love the tunes, love the live shows & sessions and love the personalities that they let show....bring on the site!! Very Happy
bolony
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 am

Okay.

...its just for us, but wasn't that the idea anyway ? Artists don't need to know what fans think, they did their thing in the first place on their own steam, with their own convictions - I suppose if they listened to the fans they would be compromising what the do instinctively - whether its popular or not - the art comes first ? Otherwise they would be compromising themselves. They make music - all the biz side is a chore surely ?

I've witnessed loads of sites where the fans moan about the setlists, the new direction, the production, the good days etc. Bands who try and interact, normally become frustrated (seriously pissed off ) with the demands and tend to scarper.

Its a great life - write songs, play them live, make records etc - all on your own terms etc.

Why would you want to be bothered getting into the politics of subjectivity and the business side ?

I just visualised the new site being a really good "bible" for all things CO. Perhaps hoping the band may recognise that in the future, and contribute something now and again - just a bit of recognition - maybe we should do the walk before the run.

I think we will all benefit from a "hub" where all the info we need is shared and available - and for me personally, its nice to chat to people who get out of their music what I am getting Rolling Eyes

As soon as Paul sorts the basics, I cant wait to help fill in the pieces - knowing that other folk are there to add/adjust etc. So like Tony, I'm just as obsessed with getting everthing in its place.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 am

graeme wrote:
just a quick by the by

it took me about 6 hours to read that post btw Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 am

Pete wrote:
graeme wrote:
just a quick by the by

it took me about 6 hours to read that post btw :P :P :P

Ditto that!

One of these days Graeme you've got to either start writing in English or at least tell us what language you ARE speaking! ;) :) :D
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:59 am

sorry bout that chaps,its just the way i type(good job you`ve never read one of my "epics"at t`other)one of these days will never happen..............unfortunately and fuck knows how many posts elsewhere,i am unwillin to change it....apologies once again......you could always choose not to read it?...anyways,it was by no means a pop at anyone here my post....all idea`s have been great so far,an i am very lookin forward to a better layout and transition...ta...........
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:17 am

It's all good.
I'm sure you can believe I've seen worse........and so I can get pretty anal about it.

It's not the spam, not the rampant identity thievery, not the child exploitation, no, what I hate the most about the internet is the total disregard for proper written language skills. No one, I mean no one, from every age and all walks of life and education, including myself, uses proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc., etc. consistently. Some days I feel like breaking out the yard stick and whacking knuckles!

But in a casual setting like around here, I don't mind so much.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:08 am

hahaha okay.............i bet your not a teacher

for proper written language

The correct use of the English language.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 Oscar%20Wilde

The correct use of soap.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:52 am

Is this your normal atire Graeme ?

Shocked
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 pm

quite bizarrely it is(paid £7.50 for another crackin hat from the charity shop on saturday)he`s quite the fop and thats some gear...although his crackin head of hair i sadly don`t possess nor his timely wit........oscillate wildly...
Back to top Go down
swiftys cakes

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 pm

i think im with graeme on this one, so important to get it right and the little tinker off shacknet brings the bacon home again.
ginger beers all round.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:49 am

yes,the sooner the site gets its makeover the sooner it will gather more than just a handfull of fans,oh and welcome swifty lookin forward to your valuable input on all things camera obscura...there is a great gang of boys and girls on here.....its very nice....
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm

yeah yeah
yeah
yeahh.... i know. i'm working on it. i've been busy as hell with work lately and just haven't built anything to a publicizable state. :P sooner than later
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Ok so it's pretty sparse at the moment but I've got a working site up. Just need to start filling it with content. Graeme and Pete, I sent you guys admin logins, I think we're going to have to coordinate this somehow or two people might end up editing the same page and overwriting the other person. I'm working on setting up the new forum at the moment. I wonder if forumotion can export it's data? Whenever I used to do forum transfers before, I'd just copy one database into the other, but I doubt that's possible in this case. :P

www.allthefriendswecanget.com
or
www.cameraobscurafanclub.net

Last edited by paul on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 pm

ta paul,i dont mind takin a back seat some...we know bout my presentation already...well done that man?good luck with the site...looks like we are startin to be infiltrated here.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Site Suggestions ?   Site Suggestions ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Site Suggestions ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next