camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[b]MergeXX[/b]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fabdrone

fabdrone

[b]MergeXX[/b] Empty
PostSubject: [b]MergeXX[/b]   [b]MergeXX[/b] EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Just got back from North Carolina where I was lucky enough to attend the Merge Records 20th birthday events a couple of weekends ago. Merge, the home of Camera Obscura in North America for a number of years 'till their transfer to 4AD.
30 odd bands/acts played over the 5 evenings and an afternoon, I saw most of 'em...it was pretty gruelling 7 - 2am some nights but the quality of the music kept us going.
The highlights, ( for me anyway) were Lou Barlow's acoustic set on the first night, The Clientele played a good set, i'm not a great fan but they were really good that night. Lambchop's punchy soulful set (great horn section)taking the honours on the evening that had Spoon headlining.
Superchunk (whose lineup includes Mac and Laura who run Merge) appeared earlier in the week and played a storming set. The Magnetic Fields were eccentric and fabulous, Stephen Merritt playing a lute throughout their set. A set interupted by a bee which chased two of the band around the stage mid song.
One of the revelations of the week were the 3D's from New Zealand -their first shows for 15 years.They were shocked at the crowd's positive reaction to their psychedelic power pop and were asked to play a second set on the Saturday afternoon.
Other acts that I really enjoyed were Richard Buckner, Telekenisis, Versus, Wye Oak and American Music Club's set with songwriter MarK Eitzel performing with just keyboard accompaniment.
The one dissappointment -apart from Camera Obscura not appearing -was M.Ward. I'm a big fan of his music and had not seen him live since his early acoustic shows. He has since gained a band. They crushed the life out of the songs i reckon, sounded stodgy and flat and he even played "Roll over Beethoven "-there is no excuse for that!..I heard that sitting outside on the kerb having left halfway through the set.
She and Him ("M." again with hip Indy actress Zoey Dashnell)wasn't too great either(same bludgeoning band).
Don't want to dwell on that though as overall it was a triumphant few days....long may Merge continue to thrive.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

[b]MergeXX[/b] Empty
PostSubject: Re: [b]MergeXX[/b]   [b]MergeXX[/b] EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 pm

ta neil,green with envy...glad you had such a great time..................
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com

[b]MergeXX[/b]
Page 1 of 1