camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 pm

L! wrote:
The should put "Suspended from class" into

I've heard them play it a bunch of times. It's a lot of fun to sing along to. (Even if it is probably the most popular song for people to shout out requests for at the shows.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Found a setlist from the San Francisco gig at the legendary Fillmore from last night:

My Maudlin Career
Swans
Tears for Affairs
Honey in the Sun
Let's Get Out of this Country
Books Written for Girls
James
Away With Murder
Teenager
80s Fan
French Navy
Come Back, Margaret
If Looks Could Kill

It was only a picture of the actual setlist... so I don't know if they actually played everything off of there or not. Nor do I know the encore. Maybe they played "San Francisco Song"?

source: Your leisure is my pleasure - Monday Night @ The Fillmore

That poster looks pretty cool. Anyone know if they were selling them or not? Or posters at any other show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 pm

oh... and there's a note on the twitter that the Toronto show is sold out. I hope nobody got shut out!

Buy those tickets soon for any of the upcoming shows. Sounds like they've all be pretty crowded if not completely sold out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:47 pm

seeing them a week from today. can't contain my excitement!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:33 am

yeah - Im seeing them in Toronto at that sold out show in 13 days - also super excited to see them play!!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 am

hope you both have a great time,i`m sure you`ll give us a full report.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 pm

setlist from 6/13/09 at Lunario in Mexico City:

My Maudlin Career
Tears for Affairs
Honey in the Sun
Let's Get Out of This Country
80s Fan
James
Forest And Sands
Teenager
You Told a Lie
French navy
If Looks Could Lill
Country Mile
Lloyd, I´m Ready to be Heartbroken
Razzle Dazzle Rose

courtesy of someone on Facebook!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 am

oh no. Gigs in Alabama and Georgia have been canceled. crap. I really hope that doesn't extend. I've already paid for my transportation and hotels to DC and Philly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:14 pm

fingers crossed for ya derek..............
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:04 pm

"upsetting personal circumstances" doesn't sound too good, does it?! I'm hoping this isn't too awful and that the tour does continue (as I too am seeing them in only 11 days) - my fingers (and toes) are crossed!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:12 pm

its all quite unfortunate that its halfway through whats been a successful tour for the band....i`m sure whatever decision is made will be best for the band and personel concerned...shame,though.................
Back to top Go down
L!

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:28 pm

tonybolony wrote:
"upsetting personal circumstances" doesn't sound too good, does it?! I'm hoping this isn't too awful and that the tour does continue (as I too am seeing them in only 11 days) - my fingers (and toes) are crossed!
tony

You're right, Tony. I really hope this isn't anything serious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.belleandsebastian.it
Leebo

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Anyone heard what the reason is? Just seen on Twitter theyre playing tonight & rest of tour now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.littlename.co.uk
Orynthia

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:37 am

Leebo wrote:
Anyone heard what the reason is? Just seen on Twitter they're playing tonight & rest of tour now.

You've probably read the Myspace update. It's very sad news indeed and says "Sadly Gav has had to return to the UK because of a death in the family."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leebo

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:56 am

Orynthia wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Anyone heard what the reason is? Just seen on Twitter they're playing tonight & rest of tour now.

You've probably read the Myspace update. It's very sad news indeed and says "Sadly Gav has had to return to the UK because of a death in the family."

Yeah I read it before. A very sad time for him. Obviously someone very close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.littlename.co.uk
wordtravelsfast

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 am

saw the show in Philly and had an absolute blast! It was a gorgeous night, with great friends and great music.

of course, I didn't keep track of the setlist, I'm hoping it will pop up somewhere.

we did get Books Written for Girls which was a nice treat flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 am

you lucky person...welcome to our site....................
Back to top Go down
L!

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:08 am

When this (beautiful anyway) us tour will end? I want to see them too Very Happy

You're welcome to the most beautiful forum of the most beautiful band with the most beautiful singer...ok, stop. Today i'm happy.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:18 am

glad to hear it luca......

shiny happy people-REM

lets hope more people arrive soon,although as nick said its already much better than the original official forum......keep on linkin it to their myspace,ta...........
Back to top Go down
derek

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:29 pm

So my camera obscura shows have come and gone. nyc was last night. went to dc and philly on sunday and monday. great times. i'm tired though. just thought I'd post some setlists and links to photos in case anyone is interested.

6/21/09 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC

setlist:

My Maudlin Career
Swans
Tears for Affairs
The Sweetest Thing
James
Teenager
Honey in the Sun
80s Fan
Country Mile
French Navy
Come Back, Margaret
If Looks Could Kill
---
Other Towns and Cities
Hey Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken
Razzle Dazzle Rose

photos:

Camera Obscura / Anni Rossi @ 9:30 Club 6/21/09

6/22/09 - Theater of the Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA

setlist:

My Maudlin Career
Swans
Tears for Affairs
The Sweetest Thing
James
Teenager
80s Fan
You Told a Lie
Books Written for Girls
Honey in the Sun
French Navy
Come Back, Margaret
---
Razzle Dazzle Rose

photos:
Camera Obscura / Anni Rossi @ Theater of the Living Arts (TLA) 6/22/09

6/24/09 - Webster Hall - New York, NY

setlist:

My Maudlin Career
Swans
Tears for Affairs
Teenager
The Sweetest Thing
James
Away With Murder
Honey in the Sun
80s Fan
Books Written for Girls
French Navy
Come Back, Margaret
If Looks Could Kill
---
Tougher Than the Rest
Razzle Dazzle Rose

photos:
Camera Obscura / Anni Rossi @ Webster Hall 6/24/09
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:41 pm

thanks derek,great pics....you must be knackered lad....i`m sure it ain`t all sunk in yet.....3 shows in less than a week?like me t`other month....its a whirl..........ta for the lists/pics.............
Back to top Go down
L!

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Great job Derek, thanks for everything, pics are very good...the setlist of Webster Hall show is great...anyway you've got 3 CO shows in a week, and nothing for me since years...someone has some news of an european tour in the next future?!?!?
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Great pics Derek! nice to see the setlists and get an idea of what they will play in TO this weekend and what they MAY play. I'm hoping for the Webster Hall set cause I like Away With Murder and Books Written For Gals. I will try to do as nice a post for my show but it looks like ya got right up front every night! wish me luck doing the same.
tony
btw - is that you on the last pic of the Living Arts album? nice eats!! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:41 pm

derek wrote:
So my camera obscura shows have come and gone. nyc was last night. went to dc and philly on sunday and monday. great times. i'm tired though. just thought I'd post some setlists and links to photos in case anyone is interested.

Fantastic photos mate! Pity picasa squishes them down like that, would made excellent background for my desktop. Blowing stuff up digitally usually makes photos look like crap. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 pm

WOOHOO! Just saw the show in Toronto on Saturday night! What a treat - it had to be THE best show I've ever been to! The bar was a dump and it looked really uncomfortable up on stage because the lighting made it hot enough that they all had to keep wiping off with towels between every song - but the performance was stellar! and despite the scare-factor of the club's appearance, the sound was phenomenal. I had an amazing spot just off to the left of the stage (and Carey) where my wife and I could sit if we wanted (only while we waited for them to start!) and dance away without moving too far (my feet still hurt! Very Happy) The band were at the top of their game - I must admit to being a bit worried as all the live recordings of them never sound great to me - but Traceyanne had me hanging on to her every note and syllable from the very first tune! We were mesmerized by her sweet-as-honey and somewhat haunted voice backed by the melodies that we have grown to love so much.
If you can't tell by now - I don't think I've ever been so enraptured by a band! I've written down the setlist below (as near as I can remember - a fan scooped it away before I could take a pic of it) but my personal highlights were Books Written For Girls and James. I kid you not that Books was better than anything I have ever heard - including the album version! How the heck does she sing with so much passion and heart?! I felt like it was the first time she ever sang James as though it was difficult to express those emotions. Absolute shining star.
Carey was so animated and enthusiastic (next to the stoicism of TAC), you could see the joy at playing and singing on her face. Wow - what a performance! Lee was solid but unfortunately, I couldn't see him too well and I don't know who they had filling in for Gavin but he was bopping around at the back of the stage like a madman! Very Happy sorry - i forget the chap they have playing violin/trumpet... oh and Kenny - wow! I know a how to play guitar a little but he was just nuts! Maybe the tunes arent too hard for someone who can play well but I never realized how intricate the solos really were. He rocks! He even dropped his pick at one point and picked it up without missing a beat!
Another thing the band probably didn't like about the night was Traceyanne started singing the last verse of Lloyd first! When she realized what she did she cut the song short and got them to start over. I thought it was great! It made me "connect" with them more fully i think. They carried on as thought nothing happened - total professionals!
You guys were right - thanks for the advice about waiting for after the show. My wife and I got Maudlin signed by all and chatted with Traceyanne for 5 mins or so. Soo sincere and down to earth - it was refreshing to meet a singer who loved to chat with her fans! and WOW - photos do not do either of the ladies justice! They were stunning - my wife had to hold me down and has complained about how much I've been talking about them! HAHA! oh well!
oh - here's the setlist:
Maudlin Career
Swans
Teenager
Tears for Affairs
You Told a Lie
80s Fan
James
Forests & Sands (got a big cheer and smile from TAC when she sang "River in Toronto")
[not sure of order here...]
Books Written For Girls
French Navy
Come Back Margaret
Sweetest Thing
Honey In the Sun

encore:
Other Towns and Cities (performed with just TAC and Kenny - beautiful!!)
Hey Lloyd
Razzle Dazzle Rose (i can see why they always end with this tune - smashing ending!)

didn't bring a camera with us but here's a link to a guy near my spot...
http://www.chromewaves.net/concertPhotos.php?concert=cameraObscura5

a-very-joyous tony

oh btw, I spoke to the young lady selling the cds and tshirts and asked about Biggest Bluest HiFi on vinyl. she said it was made but a very limited release and that they may press some more in future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009   

Back to top Go down

North American Spring/Summer Tour 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next