camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camera obscura the comeback

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin
graeme

Camera obscura the comeback Empty
PostSubject: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptySat May 02, 2020 9:14 am

So lovely to se the band embracing social media these days. The announcement on twitter about recording new songs is such great news. I/we have spoke about the missed opportunities in the past about not embracing this medium.
It's fine in the past and now going forward it is a platform they are using. They by their own admittance in plenty of interviews didnt understand it particularly so left things well alone as most the own attempts had failed really through no fault of their own. They simply couldn't understand why people would be interested in them as individuals and that the music was everything.

The thing is that once that this "thing" is over everybody is kind of starting again anyways, so a great time for new music. The band were on such great form last summer and the people who know, know that this is a band with a wealth of talent and a back catalogue brimmed with fantastic songs. So nice to see Tracyanne laughing in the shot, that is how she is. So strange then to see the historical performances and photoshoot that for the most part contradicts that personality.I know some of my friends would find it puzzling their struggle at times with their stage presence a bit bewildering. It is or was nerves and shyness I feel. Us fans of the band are already committed and it's any kind of new audience that is important we know it, they know it. When Carey sadly past away we were unsure as they were if they would carry on, this site of few active folk lost one of its members to cancer last year, my best friend Neil. It leaves a massive hole in your life but I like to think the band goes on to honour Careys memory, which I am sure they do. As important though is that this gaggle of folk have plenty of fantastic art,songs left in them, we just need/want them to get their break, its everything they deserve.

I have been lucky enough to see quite a few T&D shows and the C/O shows on the ship. This is the right time to return. It's been a bit of a strange career, the frustration of the lack of numbers at shows in the UK particulary. It is were the money is that fills the fridge despite some financial gain from album sales. I think, kinda know that Merge are still great supporters of their music as I spent a little time with Mac and Laura not so long ago.I dont know obviously about 4AD but I think there with always be interest in pure, beautiful pop music. Their songs are so strong, as you are all aware.

To be recording in Rockfield is a great choice, we all know many bands who have loved recording there, some of our favourites. This studio lives long in the memory again I was speaking to someone in NC who recorded there in the 80's, he spoke of the place, the times as if it happened a few months earlier. What to expect from our band? Who knows but for me the albums get stronger and stronger
The patterns kind of come in twos but it will be interesting  to see how recording closer to.home affects them. It kind of makes them seem more based here? If that makes sense.Anyways that's it for now,feel free to swing by with any thoughts or opinion. Welcome back Camera Obsura, heres to building a fan base who may be hearing your music first time around. You have our support and fingers crossed that the rush and push is not so far away, good luck xxx.
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyFri May 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Fantastic news with the new recordings happening! I truly had thought we had heard the last of CO with that last stellar album and with losing such a strong core member. It warms my heart and fills it with anticipation & hope. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to get to see any of the T&D shows nor the boat cruise - would've loved to been there!! The last show Ive seen was too long ago - at least 5 years. In fact, I feel as though I've been on musical hiatus too - not really gotten into anything new.. just been replaying my collection as it is. I truly miss this forum too and the great folks that have been on here so long ago. It used to be the first site I went to every morning and the last Id check at night. Hoping that new recordings (and tour??!) would kick-start this again. Its a great place to connect with people who love the same kind of music. I would really like to know more about the band's process in writing/recording as well as their favourite music/bands. I always find that kind of thing fascinating. I've watched many programs on that exact topic - both for music and tv shows. The Tom Petty docu is incredible for instance. Wouldnt a CO documentary be great?! Even a short one of a single track or the like. Truly been missing this band.
Funny thing - I know that I've talked about how a band can influence someone (or a family like in my case) without ever knowing. My 17-year old grew up with CO music playing in the car and house and now has been 'introducing' the albums to her friends who are loving it. She was somewhat bewildered at first when they would ask 'who is this playing?' since she knew the music inside and out. Ha! I love corrupting the youth!! Wink Anyhow - fantastic to hear from ya Graeme and hope to chat more on hear in the coming days!
~ Tony
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyFri May 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Just re-reading your post Graeme - sorry for the loss of your friend! I recall a Neil on here but maybe way back in the early days of the site?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptySun May 17, 2020 10:09 am

thanks, he was such an inspiration in fact his band covered "number one son" on a 7". Camera obscura was probably the only band I ever introduced him to. He introduced so may great things, too many to mention. Good to hear from you it's a shame this place isnt more vibrant but not for the lack of trying
When Carey mentioned it on twitter, so long ago , over 100 folk were on but there is a lot of my opinion on here and no one stuck. I am always amazed that people dont seem to join in with their own opinions, maybe put me straight. I know some of the band read it occasionally. They dont realise what a bump might do, even the mighty shacknet only gets minimal passing verbal trade, these days.Lets hope that things get better soon , we can hope for a bigger success rate for this band.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyTue May 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I agree - hoping we will see more folk on here in coming months.
Do you have a link or a digital copy of the cover song? I wouldnt mind giving a listen.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyTue May 19, 2020 8:33 pm

thanks tony, it is quite different from the original, quite velvets in its overtones as the singer/drummer is a German girl called mania.. I dont think there is a digital version anywhere..leave it with me
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyTue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm

https://vimeo.com/59829761
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyTue May 19, 2020 8:44 pm

dont know what the noise is that sounds like a microphone attached to the under belly of a slug...its a lot different to the original, nice hat tip though....we miss you bud
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback EmptyFri Jul 31, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks bud. I sure miss the great gang we had here too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camera obscura the comeback   Camera obscura the comeback Empty

Back to top Go down

Camera obscura the comeback
Page 1 of 1