camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are You Ready?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
el_hombre

el_hombre

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 am

Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken was my introduction to Camera Obscura. I was sucked in by it after seeing the video on late night music tele a few times a few years ago and was wonover by the total cutie that was singing the song. Took a few viewings for me to take note of the band name and dig a little deeper into the catalog etc.

So anyhoo after hearing the story of how Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken was kinda a response to the Lloyd Cole Track I"m ready to be heartbroken, I decided to sit down listen to the two, expecting to hear something truly splendid to warrent such a magnifivent, perfect pop song in response.
And I have to say (and this is entirely subjective), I was totally underwhelmed.
I guess it's a cup of tea thing, and this wasn't really mine, but I thought the Camera Obscura song far eclipsed the Cole track.

So I thought I'd see what folk here thought:
Song vs song, which do folk here like more?

Obviously I don't want to rip on my man Lloyd Cole too much because if he is the inspiration for one of my favourite songs, then my hat still goes off to him: if it wasn't for him writing the song, I might never have heard of Camera O after all...
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I only got around to reading the interview yesterday and found it a little cringe worthy. In regard to the two songs ,camera obscura edge it or even more than edge it. The lloyd cole song is okay but to be honest even at the time of rattlesnakes/easy pieces it was never"cool"to like his music or what was perceived as 6th form poetry. What I found interestin was both of their takes on the music industry and in particulary tracyanne`s take on the likes of kickstarter* and other fan/outsiders involvement with any given project that might struggle financially? I really still feel they are missing a trick with a few reissues right now and a b sides compilation (on vinyl of course kerching). I make no bones about their attitude to the business side of their job and they make no excuse for that, nor do they need to. Whenever you get below the surface of any interview that isn`t exchanging pleasentaries, the crux of the art lies as much and driven by the financial aspect as much as the artform. Not for a second do I suggest its the sole reason of producing song but there is deffo a 50/50 balance I would suggest.There is a reality in that mind set I know. It shouldn`t and doesn`t matter provided that when the songs are passed on to us are of suitable QC and worth us handing over our well earn`t coin for. The whole interview turned into a moan of sorts, how the poor artist is the one who suffers. Folk like a moan bout their chosen profession but this is bordering on self pity.This is when I kinda hid behind the couch as, and its only my opinion that Lloyd cole is not anywhere near a prominent artist or one of any notable back catalogue. He keeps doing it because it`s all he knows and then has the audacity to appear as ingrate regarding his fan base`s financial support?. He is full of his own self importance and it is a false perception of his whole being. Again,only my opinion.  

*see god help the girl(the project)
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
el_hombre

el_hombre

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 am

Yeah, the whinging that went on in that interview did seem a bit painful from time to time.
I have to say if it wasn't for Camera Obscura, I never would've heard of Lloyd Cole. I'm not sure what (if anything) that says about me, I'm from a different part of the world, and he's a bit outside my normal music tastes, but yeah, whenever I've felt incliend to dig into his catalog as a result of Camera Obscura, he just hasn't grabbed me in the way that CO did.
6th form poetry sounds about right:)
I thought the discussion on crowd funding was an interesting one in that my take on it was that he didn't seem to feel overly obligated to deliver any particular follow through and (someone may need to correct me here), it didn't seem liek he'd finished writing the music he was crowdfunding to record?
I dunno, if I was reading the proposal and it laid those cards on the table, I'd be pretty discouraged.
I think if it was Camera Obscura, I'd be inclined to contribute on principal on acount of the enjoyment I've got from them over the years.
Poor Lloyd, yup your point on sticking to what he knows sounds about right. Poor chap.
CO on the other hand, I'm so glad they didn't fold under all the events of the last few years because this new album is so good.
I really hope they make it down my way!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 am

whilst in paris recently at rock en siene(I was there really to watch B&S and finally got up to dance to Arab strap but didn`t get a medal) on the youtube clip I`m first up in the silly floppy hat "dancing" like a whirling dervish,i got talking to a guy from deep france called Stefan.....he loved the likes of the chameleons,knew of the pale fountains,kitchens of distinction etc....whilst I was watching tame impala my friend had bein at johnny marr and had got chatting about johnny and the smiths....so when we both landed to watch the pastels,stefan was at the front as well,we got to talkin bout all things music and as you do, immediately liked each other if only because we both knew of domino and merge,i told him bout this site as we were jangling bout camera obscura,surprisingly and I was genuinely shocked he said he hadn`t enoyed desire lines? but he knew his music and his opinion is fine..he may pop up here some time,i hope he does...interestin bloke and as I say....one of us........anyways,to my point and I`m sure it`ll be mentioned in the god help the girl thread.....I`ll find links to both recent events and post them when I`m allowed at 10.20 am......I bought into the god help the girl project and subscribed the £60 I think for the first package,the vinyl album,10" and the singles....£60 seemed a lot but I am a big fan of the concept and the output and at the time it mirrored summit that was goin on in my life...anyways bottom line,the god help the girl team with the e-mails containing info....snippets of film that was e-mailed,the downloads etc and the actual artifacts,this was handled in such a brilliant and professional manner,it bowled me over. Then the kickstarter campaign started for the $100,000 funding for the project(it was 100k not 10k I am sure???) anyways whatever it is/was I was ready to trust this cause even though it was another £50 and its the great unknown whether they will even get the initial funding.....for my £50 I would get the film,the outakes dvd and a enamel badge,as usual all tasteful. Even though Stuart was busy with write about love and a tour he still had time to put together directors,producers and actors and after a great deal of hard work,the funding was done,i think at the time it was the second biggest amount ever raised on kickstarter(I received 39 e-mailed updates over time). My son thinks,like tracyanne that this is not the future of art and creativity and without doubt it is a massive debate. Cash up front(the film was due this june but I think it wont appear proper until next may) it had a screening and stuff,its all but the finished thing. Along the way I was offered an extra`s role,recieved an e-postcard thanking me, was thanked on their site on an honour role etc...again,even though we are still waiting fot the goods,i have every confidence...and for me this is the very bench mark of kickstarter,how humble the whole team have been...as mentioned in the interview,the perception of these"pop stars" having loads of cash is far from the truth..but the economic stratergy of "using"fans to fund has worked in the case of GHTG,it wont and probably hasn`t worked for all...a local band to us,in Liverpool just funded there album in a similar fashion...without the good folk willing to pay up front,it would never have been made,the tea street band.........and so,its not for everyone but it can work...yeah,it means a lot more involvement than penning the tunes and bashin them out in a studio...but it`s reality these days  that not all bands have the backing of a big label and have to adopt this DIY ethic...when the industry was churning money is when the record buying public was at its peak,before fileshare and downloading.....I rarely download and will always purchase my favourite bands music as well as a lot more,i will sometimes like recently buy 3 albums in a week at a cost of about £80,when I feel flush,it is my passion,i don't drink or smoke and my cash is going towards an art form I love.. I am not rich,etc...............bands really,really have to tour like fuck,design decent merchandise(there was nothing on the last c/o tour that appealed to me,but that's individual taste) and promote the new stuff and old stuff through radio etc....its a life style I flirted with,and with very little talent but wisely decided to get a 9-5 and live my life.............anyways that's it................

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/aug/25/stuart-murdoch-on-my-radar

thought I mighta been tripped up there for my mistyping of smiths lyric in the comments

http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/budget/

my figures were a bit out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udGqdYjt4_E

seriously suspect "dancing"
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
el_hombre

el_hombre

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 am

I quite like the crowdfunding thing too, I recently opted into the vinyl package for the singer from Ladytron's new solo album.
I think it's possibly the best response for low to mid-level artists to the filesharing problem.
Her project has also been pretty well handled: plenty of updates and followthrough etc. Annoyingly, everything has pretty much been delivered (including download of the album that was included with every package) except the vinyl. But I have no doubt it'll be on it's way when she gets them.
The album itself is a bit hit and miss but I was happy to support it given the amount of enjoyment I've got from her work (not always legally obtained) over the years.
These days I'm particularly conscious of supporting artists I like as much as possible given the way things are going, which was why I was happy to pay for Desire Lines twice.
I think its a great album and if CO were to crowdfund their next album, I'd have no problem jumping in on that.
Pity your friend didn't get into it, but maybe they will. I must admit I was a little underwhelmed when I first heard it, after waiting so long, but I love it and listed to it atleast once a day:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Are You Ready? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are You Ready?   Are You Ready? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are You Ready?
Page 1 of 1