camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

the celestial cafe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: the celestial cafe   Mon May 09, 2011 8:03 am

half way through this book now,i dont wanna read it too fast,its one of those you dont want to finish.the meandering thoughts of stuart,the cogs of his imagination oiled by every day events,and his ability to project them into a whole landscape of observations, both witty,true and insightful(i know i did it on purpose)he is very kind up to now about camera obscura,not that he gives any time at all particulary..its just when they prop up occassionally in his daily dreaming he makes sure,you,i,the reader are aware of just how highly he places their music.....great stuff...can i have an apple turnover with that latte...(see sketch of him lying on his bed,with underachievers on the table)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Mon May 09, 2011 3:01 pm

To be honest I've been neglecting to buy it because I expected it to be too, I don't know, what's a word that's cross between 'twee' and 'preachy'? After the initial excitement of a new B&S album wore off, I must admit, I now hate 'Write About Love'. There's like 2 tracks I love and the rest is just boring, it kind of turned me off to the new book.
But with a decent endorsement from somebody with good taste, I think I'll buy 'Celestial Cafe' now. Thanks Graeme!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 pm

i must say i am enjoying the book,i love the way stuart writes and i find all kinds of stuff interesting in it...you get to go to places you would normally not get(i.e the little band meetings etc)for me,he lives life in a good way and it spurs me on slightly. i mean i like to wander,i dont run much(except when i am gettin chaste*) i love the way he loves his city,the nooks and crannies..i must visit soon(dont worry folks i wont be standing outside your flats)....it wont be for everyone...i am a bit shocked about what you said about write about love,but then realised i havent played it for a while...a thing i must put right tonight.. i think i still love it as much,as well as,the same as t`others...

*poor i know.......
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 pm

interestin stuff..think i'll look into it too - thanks Graeme.. always love to hear CO in the media no matter what form..
i guess we like different things with B&S Paul cause i like Write About Love.. not as much as Life Pursuit but more than the earlier stuff.. curious to know what 2 tracks you do like are.. i find a few boring myself like the Norah Jones duet..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

tonybolony wrote:
interestin stuff..think i'll look into it too - thanks Graeme.. always love to hear CO in the media no matter what form..
i guess we like different things with B&S Paul cause i like Write About Love.. not as much as Life Pursuit but more than the earlier stuff.. curious to know what 2 tracks you do like are.. i find a few boring myself like the Norah Jones duet..

"Calculating Bimbo" and "I Want The World To Stop" were the two I like most in particular. Side A in general I feel is pretty good (everything through the title track) but still pales in comparison to The Life Pursuit or any of their early stuff. And it's the writing mostly that I dislike on the album. Stuart went from writing stories wrapped in 100 layers of metaphor and subcontext to a more radio friendly style that is just there and doesn't require any work by the listener. So a song sounds great for the first five or so listens but then it just becomes intellectually boring on repeat. I like it when 1, 5, even 10 years later I can still pick out new interpretations or hear things I'd never noticed before. That's not going to happen with WAL. I was tired of it after a month.

I already feel incredibly daft for saying this, but Write About Love just isn't clever enough.

EDIT: Now that I think about, one could make a lot of the same arguments regarding the writing on "God Help The Girl" and I would tend to agree even though I adore that album dearly. But for me, Catherine saves it. That girl could sing the phone book and I'd buy 10 copies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Wed May 11, 2011 8:48 am

i must admit that the only album i dont own is life pursuit...i do know it like,i love fold your hands and storytelling.....but really i have a lot of time for all their albums...the joy of say write about love in particular is as much as the music,the pre amble before the release,the photo comp an that,makes it all kinda special....off to see them in two weeks at the roundhouse,i think the write bout love songs work great live n`all......as tony said i think most/all have different perspectives of b&s the concept...but as we all know its about music and the test of time,as paul hinted...
Back to top Go down
mighty meadow

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 am

I read the book last month, thoroughly enjoyed it and was also inspired to get my old bike out of the shed and get peddling again Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the celestial cafe   

Back to top Go down

the celestial cafe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1