camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

there`s summit of the devil,in nic harcourts voice...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: there`s summit of the devil,in nic harcourts voice...   Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 pm

kcrw(again)2010

the line of the interviewers questioning stays with me some,the awkward questions aimed at tracyanne intercepted by kenny,probably induced by a negative nod..the whole thing of"the band are happy when youve got the arl troubles goin on,it`ll spur you on in a cathartic way...to put pen to paper...pour yourself over the page"

tracyanne`s answer to this leaning towards is"you can`t rely on emmotions to get your job done"...right enough...i have mused in the past how songwriters continue to write over sustained periods,years...dylan,young,bowie........i always maintain that the things that drove them on where,travel,to go through doors they thought might be shut,stop and take time out,with the people on the other side of the street...do they have a formula?my favourite dylan album,is blood on the tracks..but where did it come from?yeah,its a break up album.....but there is somethin else?wandering through the halls of the louvre...........all the great art is born from suffering......it really is.....its powerfull and emotive and then there`s the mind bending imagery,the opium eaters,and the drinkers,brendan beehan.....then you wonder about a formula to writing songs...all these elements...half a page of scribbled lines?sometimes you can write in a stream of subconsciousness...and not recognise your own words the following morning"did i write that?" okay what the hell am i goin on about...its this....on my long drive home from the last weekend...i thought about camera obscura,i thought about new songs,i wondered where they may come from...i worried about the pressure on the songwriter.....i wondered if kenny may write some new stuff as well.........how much slack 4AD cut the band i wouldn`t know..i may be talkin out of turn...there may be 4 or 5 new tunes in the can.....well the tricky third has well gone,and it didn`t appear to be tricky at all...i just felt and overwhelming sense of the pressure on the she.....i didn`t feel sorry for her..why should i.....if camera obscura never write another song they are still very,very high in my book,the songs theyve given are amongst the best i`ve ever heard...and i`ve listened to a lot of songs.............so far in you hear the word craft,quite a bit,dynamics....when does a natural process become a job...anticipation...i love a band called shack....as a fan of them..you learn to be patient.......it stands me in good stead..i really hope that new stuff comes soon...i feel they will tour the uk a bit more next year...hopefully.............i suppose what i`m tryin to say is...don`t let it weigh you down..............at your own pace........your own quality control will make sure whatever comes our way will be top draw..............don`t let it get you down,its only castles burning..........i only wanted to ease the strain some...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: there`s summit of the devil,in nic harcourts voice...   Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:57 pm

graeme (Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 pm) wrote:

tracyanne`s answer to this leaning towards is"you can`t rely on emmotions to get your job done"...right enough...i have mused in the past how songwriters continue to write over sustained periods,years...
...on my long drive home from the last weekend...i thought about camera obscura,i thought about new songs,i wondered where they may come from...
...if camera obscura never write another song they are still very,very high in my book,the songs theyve given are amongst the best i`ve ever heard...and i`ve listened to a lot of songs......

wow - pretty damn deep for 830am here at my desk! but rightly said.. i never thought about what if CO never wrote another song but yer absolutely right.. even if they didnt, they are still in my top bands of all time.. i know they keep saying, or alluding to, how its just us small band of obscurafans is all that will ever adore them.. i feel its more that folks havent heard them yet.. most people don't go out of their way to find great bands to listen to.. they hear some tune in the car or at a party or a friends and think hey thats good stuff - think i'll pick some of that up myself.. anyone i've introduced this band to really likes or even loves their songs so i have no doubts its just an exposure thing.. i digress tho..
yer right in thinkin alot of music comes from heartache - i dont think all of it does of course.. some just make music because of the love of playing n singing.. but the bands that i can really really connect with do both. the greedy guts inside me wants more more more when it comes to music but it is better when the natural progression occurs.. otherwise, the music starts to sound like a formula and interest will wane.. its gotta be friggin hard tho..something i really admire.. which is most likely why i will drive for hours to see them play!
however long it takes to make the music is fine (..as i stifle my greed!)
i think today is a CO tribute day.. all obscuramusic today it is!!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile

there`s summit of the devil,in nic harcourts voice...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1