camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What do we think of making a new forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
paul

PostSubject: What do we think of making a new forum?   Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:42 pm

This idea has floated before and I think we decided against it because the current forum has such a high Google ranking at present...but even so, it doesn't seem to attract any crowds. Despite our rank, it's basically the same 5 guys posting regularly.

Anyway, the reason I ask is, Luca has been working on CameraObscuraFanClub.net lately and it looks fantastic. Right now though L needs mysql access to the forum database, which is impossible to do with Forumotion hosting. It's not a problem that can be fixed with passwords or plugins, its a technical impossibility.

So I thought we might make a new phpbb forum. Everything will stay pretty much the same. I'll be able to transfer the user accounts over, possibly the posts but I wonder if we want to start fresh anyway. (I kind of want to, but I'd rather do what everybody else wants.) We can make forumotion point to the new forum so we don't lose any traffic. There'll be no ads and less spam.

So....? Whadduya think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:47 pm

whatever.. i'm easy.. as long as these fine folks continue posting
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm

can`t see why not....i am doubtful about other people joinin in but no harm in tryin like..gotta live in hope,specially cos i only started this to meet women(i jest of course)..i will post in both spaces...i`ve got enough shite to speak..hahahaha
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
nick

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Nah just stay here... it's gathering speed.... slowly...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
L!

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi there folks, how are you?
I was a bit busy at this time but here I am with very important news. First of all, I'm tellin'you that soon will open the fan club website.

I worked on it these days and I hope you will enjoy it. Regarding the issue of the brand new forum, I think it's fair to have one integrated with the site to allow registered users to use a single account, valid for both of them, site & forum. There will be a photogallery and a video area, and users can enter their own contributions.

There will also be a download area and if you have got some files you want to share you can upload via web without any problems.

Wait for few days and you'll see ...

PS: I thought that as every self-respecting website and fan club we also should appoint a staff: I am the webmaster of the site for now, but we need other people to ensure that they follow the proper functioning and efficiency of the whole thing. Who wants to join?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.belleandsebastian.it
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:33 am

hi luca,welcome back....i`m sure youve read our replies about the new website..i am lookin forward to perusin it.....i hope it gets back enough for what time and effort you`ve put in,i am sure you realise this but be careful with anythin that might hit the band in the pocket or owt,i`m sure you`ve heard tracyanne bang on bout it enough..i heard her this morn when playin paris two weeks before maudlin came out"the new album will be available in two weeks at all good record shops in france,err maybe,but i`m sure you will be able to get it off the internet,err not for free right enough"

anyways welcome back,i hope it works,i`ll be dippin me toe for sure...............
Back to top Go down
L!

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 am

I hope it goes well, my intention is to make an instrument that will give more visibility to the band, I think they have everything to gain from an operation like this and I hope they'll like and they can came say hello sometimes.
Regarding the question you raised, I specified that this is a site in no way connected to the band in an official manner, and obviously the download area will not contain nothing official but bootlegs and live recordings...what do you think?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 am

i mean i doubt wether any other site will get an official nod,we know they read this site or at least try and make some sense of it? but i posted somewhere about how it will fair them well to have a site people from the world can visit......i know they have an official one but it appears that they still haven`t bought into that completely....i sure it is more of a hinderance,but some of them do use the internet as a medium individually....a professionally laid out site,that is informative,easy to use,and world user friendly will be nice to have....the DIY layout of this,is somewhat homely and driven by a love of music and this band in particular...it could appear to be quite chummy,it is welcomin though and not as cold as their official site....downloads is a tricky one...as regards live/tellyV etc..their own quality control is stringent and remember the Lleida incident?...and i cant say how they feel,most of us know where to get that kind of stuff if we want it,but to endorce it is another matter......we are havin a bit of a stand off at the moment on shacknet bout that kind of thing.....its impossible for a band to stop tapers.....i love live shows,i also buy everything i can in every format......you could ask the band for a simple yes or no through twitter...but that would leave them in a tricky position i suppose....but it would be nice for you and them if you started off on the right foot...but how you go about that is tricky...good luck luca and i deffo will be joinin in on the site........
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:29 pm

graeme wrote:
i mean i doubt wether any other site will get an official nod,we know they read this site or at least try and make some sense of it? but i posted somewhere about how it will fair them well to have a site people from the world can visit......i know they have an official one but it appears that they still haven`t bought into that completely....i sure it is more of a hinderance,but some of them do use the internet as a medium individually....a professionally laid out site,that is informative,easy to use,and world user friendly will be nice to have....the DIY layout of this,is somewhat homely and driven by a love of music and this band in particular...it could appear to be quite chummy,it is welcomin though and not as cold as their official site....downloads is a tricky one...as regards live/tellyV etc..their own quality control is stringent and remember the Lleida incident?...and i cant say how they feel,most of us know where to get that kind of stuff if we want it,but to endorce it is another matter......we are havin a bit of a stand off at the moment on shacknet bout that kind of thing.....its impossible for a band to stop tapers.....i love live shows,i also buy everything i can in every format......you could ask the band for a simple yes or no through twitter...but that would leave them in a tricky position i suppose....but it would be nice for you and them if you started off on the right foot...but how you go about that is tricky...good luck luca and i deffo will be joinin in on the site........

I was planning on upping my live shows library but now I dunno. Those 'uncensored' interviews you posted the other day give me the impression that TAC wouldn't look too fondly on sharing the live shows. For now I think keeping them publicly hidden is probably the best way for them to stay... The files are easily available, but to find them, somebody's gotta ask. I love these people, I don't want to cross em and if they don't want us distributing their performances, that's their right.

I downloaded a Clientele show the other day and read in the notes that Alasdair saw the guy with his recording gear before the show, went up to him, and asked him if he wanted to plug into the soundboard. That's pretty damn awesome.

Last edited by paul on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:26 pm

that is,and typical of him i think.....i don`t think it does damage but its not my art.................
Back to top Go down
nick

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 am

paul wrote:
graeme wrote:

I was planning on upping my live shows library but now I dunno. Those 'uncensored' interviews you posted the other day give me the impression that TAC wouldn't look too fondly on sharing the live shows. For now I think keeping them publicly hidden is probably the best way for them to stay... The files are easily available, but to find them, somebody's gotta ask. I love these people, I don't want to cross em and if they don't want us distributing their performances, that's their right.

I downloaded a Clientele show the other day and read in the notes that Alasdair saw the guy with his recording gear before the show, went up to him, and asked him if he wanted to plug into the soundboard. That's pretty damn awesome.

Paul, any chance you could point me in the direction of the clientele boot you mentioned??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
L!

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:26 pm

I really don't understand where the problem is, I cannot believe that a fan site can be a bad thing. I do not want to seems like i'm mad or naive, I thought i was doing something good to offer a service that would make people closer to the band, but if this should be a source of disagreement i think i'm giving up!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:57 pm

no luca it is a good thing,don`t be disallusioned i think everyone here supports what you are doing and welcomes your new site i think,i am/do for sure....your latin temprament is gettin the better of you...........

Last edited by graeme on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:58 pm

L! wrote:
I really don't understand where the problem is, I cannot believe that a fan site can be a bad thing. I do not want to seems like i'm mad or naive, I thought i was doing something good to offer a service that would make people closer to the band, but if this should be a source of disagreement i think i'm giving up!

I think you got the wrong impression from the comments here. None of us think a fan site is a bad idea, many of us have been pining for a decent central resource for ages... right now the concern is whether bootleg downloads are a good idea because we're not sure how the band feels about them - It can be a touchy subject. I might send them an email to test the waters... asking them in public over twitter/facebook might put them in an awkward position but over email I can get a honest response.

At any rate the fan site is gonna be great and I can't wait for it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:01 pm

nick wrote:

Paul, any chance you could point me in the direction of the clientele boot you mentioned??

It's the Casbah show on dime, the uploader told me the full story over email. I can send it to you if you don't have access. Because it was a salvaged recording from some corrupted minidiscs, it can sometimes be disorienting to listen to... it'll switch between mono and stereo at random, there's skips throughout, but overall a very nice show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do we think of making a new forum?   

Back to top Go down

What do we think of making a new forum?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1