camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

belle and sebastian new record

Go down 
+4
nick
paul
graeme
tonybolony
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tonybolony

tonybolony

belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:10 pm

theres one up at setlists.fm here...
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/belle-and-sebastian/2010/williamsburg-waterfront-brooklyn-ny-2bd53866.html

20 freakin songs! wow!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:14 pm

better get me ticket sorted for this...it looks kinda special...............
Back to top Go down
https://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 pm

derek wrote:
tomorrow I'll be seeing Belle & Sebastian for the eighth time and will see them for the 9th and 10th times in a couple weeks (boston and DC)!!!!

not sure how accurate it is - i would trust Derek's setlist above the ones posted.. so, was it accurate D?
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 3:12 pm

tonybolony wrote:
theres one up at setlists.fm here...
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/belle-and-sebastian/2010/williamsburg-waterfront-brooklyn-ny-2bd53866.html

20 freakin songs! wow!

holy moly...get me away from here...we rule the school...another sunny day...too much love...judy...sleep the clock around...it's a setlist full of my deep-cut favorites! i hope chicago isn't already sold out

fyi, 09/25/10 @ Barcelona is on Dime. So is that one Graeme mentioned the other day with Alex. Have not heard the sound quality on 9/25 yet but I am incredibly picky, so even if I say it's bad, don't let that turn you off.

Last edited by paul on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Video footage here:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/10/it_didnt_rain_o.html
Back to top Go down
nick

nick

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 am

The set lists look fantastic. Really excited about the gigs in December, particularly Gateshead with the orchestra. The Sage is my favourite venue and will suit them down to the ground. Plus Bowlie of course which will no doubt be very special. Does anyone know which night they will play on at Minehead?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 7:19 pm

probably the last night nick but its their party like so up to them prob....still hopin to get a late ticket for bowlie and sleep on your floor..or check the wristband colour...i left manchester too late and now bought christian new footy boots instead..
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm

tonybolony wrote:
derek wrote:
tomorrow I'll be seeing Belle & Sebastian for the eighth time and will see them for the 9th and 10th times in a couple weeks (boston and DC)!!!!

not sure how accurate it is - i would trust Derek's setlist above the ones posted.. so, was it accurate D?

Sorry... didn't follow up on this yet! That setlist is correct. Was an absolutely AMAZING show. Was threatening to rain the entire time.. but it didn't. I got there 3 hours before doors opened... secured my spot front and center on the rail. Really... one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Everyone was having a ball. The band looked so happy to be there. Stu was hamming it up even more than usual.

If any of you get a chance to see them... Don't give it a second though. Go! I'm sure they'll do a proper US tour sometime next year (hopefully in the spring), but they really hardly ever tour... and they just get better and better. So glad I bought tickets to DC and Boston when they went on sale. Sure... I'm spending waaaaaay too much money right now... but it's worth it. Getting to see Belle & Sebastian and CO in the same year... it's almost too much to ask for (although I did see them both in '06).

Now... how can we convince these bands to do a Glasgow "SUPER TOUR"?! Can you imagine seeing B&S and CO at the same gig? I know CO have opened for them on a handful of UK gigs in the past... but doing a US tour together? I almost shat myself just thinking about it. Get the Vaselines in there and make it a triple bill?

Oh well... a guy can dream... I guess I did just see Teenage Fanclub open for B&S... so that was a Glasgow Kinda-Super Show. (Can't be fully "super" with out Tracyanne and the gang.)
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Anybody else see B&S on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last Wednesday? It's on Hulu if you're in the States. The Youtube clip has been taken down by NBC but you can see it on the official LNWJF site (if it'll let you outside the US.)
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/ (then search for Belle)

Anyway
They're a bit...out of place, don't you think? Stuart jumping up and down almost seems silly in that context.
Back to top Go down
sissyneck

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Am i the only one not feeling 100% comfortable with the song featuring Norah Jones? I mean... beautiful voice and all but it just doesn't fit a B&S song, does it? Or maybe it's just me being dreadfully jealous.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 7:01 pm

sissyneck wrote:
Am i the only one not feeling 100% comfortable with the song featuring Norah Jones? I mean... beautiful voice and all but it just doesn't fit a B&S song, does it? Or maybe it's just me being dreadfully jealous.

I haven't heard that song yet (I'm waiting til my copies arrive in the post...) but I already agree with you. B&S starts using pop stars and they lose a lot of their aura. And though I absolutely adore Sally Sparrow...erm...Carey Mulligan, and want her to have my children, I'm not so certain it was the best idea to put her on the title track. She's sings nice and all, but so does Sarah...and Sarah's part of the band.

I don't mind guests once in awhile, it's cool, but I wish they'd stick to the buried gems (like Alex back in the Catastrophe days) or put em on the bonus tracks. Just my 1.5 cents though. I'm sure the album is still going to be stellar.
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 pm

These special guests (especially Carey Mulligan) sometimes seem like its just an excuse for Stu to spend the day with a girl he's got a crush on.

That said... I think the Norah Jones song is a standout on the album. I've always thought she has a great voice... her songs are just so vanilla that I was never into her music. But she seems like a cool enough girl (I even saw her sing a couple of song with Wilco when they opened for Neil Young a couple of years ago)...

The Fallon performances were pretty great too. They played "Piazza", but it's only available online. you should check it out if you haven't already. They totally reworked the song for this tour.
Back to top Go down
sissyneck

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

I agree with Paul that they should put those (still awesome) songs as Bside tracks.

But really, the big difference between Carey and Norah is that Carey could be one of the GHTG girls. The first time I heard the song I didn't know there was a guest and honestly it didn't bother me at all. But Norah has this vibrato in her voice that screams hey! I am an intruder. It just doesn't work.

I saw them 10 days ago in Barcelona. Write About Love sang by Sarah... perfect. Piazza... I almost faint.

@Paul I admire your patience!! (bow) yes, I downloaded it BUT I also pre-ordered the vinyl...
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm

I checked Matador a few minutes ago to see if my Write About Love CD/LP had shipped yet. (Because in reality I am not very patient and am trying to decide if I want to download the leaked copy.) But who cares... this was on the Matador blog, and it's the greatest thing ever.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/2010/10/05/belle-and-sebastians-write-about-love-contest-is-the-coolest-thing-ever/

Quote :
I’m sorry but there is no arguing this point. Not even from those of you just getting home from Las Vegas.

What makes it so cool, you ask? Maybe the fact that you could have the chance of a lifetime when Belle and Sebastian releases a 7″ next year of a song that was WRITTEN ABOUT YOU!!!!!!

Inside every copy of Belle and Sebastian’s new album Write About Love is a unique code which you will enter here and then write 300 words about love, in any sense of the word. Why you love. Who you love. What you love. Where you love. Anything. Just write about love.

Then Belle and Sebastian will pick a winner (henceforth referred to as “Lucky”) and Stuart Murdoch will fly out to Lucky’s hometown, hang out with Lucky for an afternoon, and write and record a song about Lucky which will then be released on an exclusive Belle and Sebastian 7″ later in 2011.

Yep. Coolest thing ever.

I am liking all the listener interactivity that comes with this new album. Photo contests, writing contests, maybe a composition contest next?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 pm

i am also waitin for what david fricke would call the"artifact"....so have no opinion right now,i wrote somewhere else i think it looks like stevie just plays harmonica now,or he has done in the clips i`ve seen..i like this 300 word thingy,it could get me in trouble...but i can see meself indulgin....
Back to top Go down
nick

nick

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

graeme wrote:
i am also waitin for what david fricke would call the"artifact"....so have no opinion right now,i wrote somewhere else i think it looks like stevie just plays harmonica now,or he has done in the clips i`ve seen..i like this 300 word thingy,it could get me in trouble...but i can see meself indulgin....

Stevie is a legendary harmonica player. Opened a 2002 show in Edinburgh with a medley of covers on the harmonica before fading into Fuck This Shit, before the rest of the band trooped on. My favourite ever gig I think, they blew my mind that night, I never wanted to see another band play they were just so special.
Back to top Go down
nick

nick

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:10 pm

nick wrote:
graeme wrote:

Stevie is a legendary harmonica player. Opened a 2002 show in Edinburgh with a medley of covers on the harmonica before fading into Fuck This Shit, before the rest of the band trooped on. My favourite ever gig I think, they blew my mind that night, I never wanted to see another band play they were just so special.

Actually now I think back it was 2001 maybe... a lot has happened to me since then. I bought tow tickets, one for me and one for my then girlfriend from a tout in apub over the road from Usher Hall. Face Value. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
sissyneck

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 pm

[quote="paul"]I checked Matador a few minutes ago to see if my Write About Love CD/LP had shipped yet. (Because in reality I am not very patient and am trying to decide if I want to download the leaked copy.)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130212728
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 pm

sissyneck wrote:
paul wrote:
I checked Matador a few minutes ago to see if my Write About Love CD/LP had shipped yet. (Because in reality I am not very patient and am trying to decide if I want to download the leaked copy.)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130212728

I saw that! Thanks!
I don't remember how I saw it, I think somebody's music blog.
But Matador sent me an email telling me the album shipped on Wednesday. So I'm still going to wait so that I can play it first over my good stereo with my new record player needle, instead of on the computer.
Back to top Go down
sissyneck

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I saw that! Thanks!
I don't remember how I saw it, I think somebody's music blog.
But Matador sent me an email telling me the album shipped on Wednesday. So I'm still going to wait so that I can play it first over my good stereo with my new record player needle, instead of on the computer.[/quote]

You're the best. And I should definitely buy a new needle too before playing the record.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-10-13/music/san-francisco-love-story/

Phew! I never knew Stuart was so sickly. Makes me appreciate the early albums even moreso.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 2:29 pm

have you read the belle & sebastian book paul?its got all that kinda stuff in....i will be buyin the record on saturday...really lookin forward to it.......
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Have not seen the book no (since I assume you're not talking about the "Put The Book Back On The Shelf" comic book) ... gonna go check half.com for it...

Finally read the entire article. Apparently Stuart and his wife were furious that the album got leaked a few weeks ago. Now I feel good about myself for not downloading it... Hahaha

The album arrived on Tuesday morning for me, so it hasn't even been 48 hours, but it's an odd one really. Side A was spectacular from the first listen, Side B I'm still warming up to. But much like albums 1 through 4, it gets better with every listen. The awkward song arrangement grows on you. It's still very pop-heavy but the whole thing feels very different than DCW or TLP, it feels like classic Belle.

You're in for a treat Graeme, give it a dozen spins and you'll feel different about it each time.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm

sorry paul,just a modern rock story/paul whitelaw....i know, its funny nick was luke warm bout it at first,and then i think he was sorry to be so hasty....he now is ravin bout it...done that before meself....really need to give summit at least 10-20 spins afore judgement i think.....i bought the east of eden album..i think i said i span the vinyl didn`t get it at first...you got a free cd which i lived with in my car for a week....now i think its great..
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin
graeme

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 11:34 am

pick it up yesterdee and its on its second spin...and summit which is odd for me,its love at first spin...cant really give it proper justice in regards to a write up yet...nice nod in the gatefold to the smiths again(cemetry gates)i bought at the same time,the morning benders,radiohead,teenage fanclub,magic kids..........its gonna be a busy day................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: belle and sebastian new record   belle and sebastian new record - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

belle and sebastian new record
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next