camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete

PostSubject: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Just back from Edinburgh after a great night out. The band were supported by Aberfeldy, another great wee band from Scotland http://www.myspace.com/aberfeldytheband , well not quite Aberfeldy, the band were doing support for one of their own musicians who had written some of his own tunes, so it was ... lets say interesting Very Happy

Zoey van Goey are on a different level altogether. The live incarnation is at complete odds to the debut album. They have a very dynamic, full on expansive and atmospheric sound. They can really kick serious ass too. The gig was in the Voodoo Room, and lucky if there were over a hundred folk in there, the acoustics were fantastic. I've never saw a band having so much fun on stage, they were giggling and smiling at each other all the way through the set, and the banter with the crowd had us all in stitches. The canadian guy could be doing stand up professionally Laughing Laughing seriously good fun. The band seem to be multi instrumentalists, swapping instruments during the set. The vocals from Kim Moore are quite sublime, and I was really impressed with her keyboards, violin and drum playing !!

They are now writing a follow up album. I must say that I found the debut album a little disjointed in places. The slow build atmospheric songs like The Best Treasure Stays Buried are at loggerheads with the pop moments of say We Don't have that Kind of Bread, but it really does all make more sense live.

Definitely worth checking out.

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Fantastic mini-review, Pete!
I must convince them to come to Iowa....

Cage Was Unlocked is a very good album, especially after multiple listens, but I've never felt it very cohesive. Seems like it might have been better as two EP's instead...after all it's only 33 minutes. Lovely news on the follow up album, nice to see Michael John in a band that doesn't dismember after it's first LP. :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 pm

yeah thanks for the review Pete! "disjointed" is a pretty damn accurate descriptive...i too find it was like two eps.. if they had pulled thru with a few more great tracks, i would've absolutely adored the album but i find i skip occasionally (which i hate doing) - i think i hav to listen some more and maybe see if theres a live session out there to hear the difference.. would love to hear the banter in a show.. in fact, that is one of my major pet-peeves when a live show gets upped to the net.. when they cut the banter out - even if its just to introduce the tune.. c'mon just leave it in and let us all experience the live show. it certainly would never prevent me from going to see a band i like... whoops, a little side-tracked here.. Very Happy
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm

i gotta post agin since i keep changin my mind... Very Happy
I have been listenin to this album quite a bit since last week and i am really getting into it! i tend to use itunes @werk and i rate the tunes as i go (so i can listen to top-rated tunes like my own personal radio station) and i've had to revise a number of their songs! i hope against hope that they make a trip to canada sometime cause i'd be first in-line to get tix especially after yer review Pete!!

here's a utube of how they met i guess and "sweethearts in disguise" live at the cd release...

btw. i think i posted in another thread about the song "tell me lies"... must've just been an early title for this tune...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 am

Absolutely loved this Tony, great find. I wish it was the whole gig, only 2 trax. What a pity. You would have got a better feel for it. I was just getting into it then realised it was almost the end Sad
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 am

don't get too down Pete - there are 5 more from that show on YouTube!!

here's 1/6 for example....

i know i really enjoyed these... so much so that I'm trying to find a better way to rip the audio (so i can listen on a disc) without just recording the youtube stream... so far no luck - nobody else has these that i can find... i will send a share-link when completed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:40 am

Your are a Star Bolony bounce And I'm just being lazy .. cheers
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 am

just checked... the guy who uploaded these is an audio engineer so i guess he prob created them himself... sending him an email now.
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:42 am

Maybe its because of our travel plans, notwithstanding the music, but these lyrics really hit me

Like a warm heart
Wall shadows
This is the best part

Put it in the chest
Under the trapdoor
Unroll the carpet
Across the cold floor

Like we planned it
When the clock chimes
Turn around once
And tap three times ...

I love these lyrics ? Its like a long made pact, and esp love the turn around once and tap 3 times bit - where is this from ? I know this stuff from somewhere but can't put a finger on it ???

I also absolutely love the graphics/artwork for the album. Adore it.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:01 am

Pete wrote:

I love these lyrics ? Its like a long made pact, and esp love the turn around once and tap 3 times bit - where is this from ? I know this stuff from somewhere but can't put a finger on it ???

I also absolutely love the graphics/artwork for the album. Adore it.

Are you askin' which song are those lyrics from? It's the first on the album, "The Best Treasure Stays Buried"

The artwork is brilliant, great attention to detail, and a drawing style that mimics the band's tunes masterfully. Very well put together package - Only thing that could make it better would if it was printed on a 12" gatefold. ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 am

Paul, no I was getting at the "Turn around once and tap 3 times" lyrics. It's something I havn't heard for a real long time and it's something from the distant past. Innocent days, something from an old childhood book or film. I can't place it, and it's frustrating, but it really makes the song for me.

Its a great idea, "Turn around once and tap 3 times", you make a wish, and then suddenly you are transported to the place of your wish/dreams or something else magic happens.

The lyrics are poignant for me, as me and M promised we would just go travelling together when we were very young. Now that it is happening, we remembered how we had made that pact/promise all those years ago, but had forgotten all about it until the decision was made, and we later reminded ourselves about it - its us escaping.

I suppose the artwork reminds me of childhood books too. It really fits the theme I'm describing above, for me anyway. It's probaly the first album cover in a long long time I can look at and really appreciate aesthetically. I keep meaning to find out who the artist is, looking at cover now, its Peter Diamond.

http://peterdiamond.wordpress.com/

Reading his blog, this just gets better for me. Fascinating.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

ace that pete..ta
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

PostSubject: album art   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:24 pm

thanks Pete - i love illustration especially for album art... i think that my parent's bat out of hell was the first one i ever saw and uttered "cool".. there have been several i can think of off the top of my head that i've bought the album simply on the cool artwork... i was once a huge aerosmith fan and they put out a cassette single for love in an elevator and despite already having the tape (wow - i'm old..) i bought the single for the art which i drew with my multi-coloured pen in junior high school one day...
[img][/img]
awful really... but both matt mays and sam roberts have some illustration for album art.. and tho i dont care too much for either, i prefer it to simple band photos plus i have to respect that mays uses his dad's art for his albums.. how great is that?! i know its a business that my brother-in-law is hoping to crack into... he's done some poster art but mostly stuff for his own band.

i particularly like seeing the thumbnails and the rough sketches.. i'm tempted to get a big print made of the right hand one above "garbage city" .. very cool imagery...
thanks alot for the link Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm

hm... side of pic gets cut off - weird...
oh i found my bat out of hell...
[img][/img]
nutin like tootin yer own horn... toot toot!
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 pm

why has the bat got a cock shaped like a giant steeple?? nice one bolony......nice use of shading etc................
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 pm

i remember goin to a john lennon exhibition in paris..i thought it was gonna be naff but it wern`t,they had that report where the headmaster said john would amount to nothin...but all his excersise books had doodle`s and sketches in all of them,very milligan/pythonesque, it is a great form of expression and i suppose its a form of free spirit.......
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

yeah, i agree - i had a former boss in Ottawa who didn't own a camera... when he went on trips or wanted a memoire of something, he hauled out his sketch pad and drew it... very rudimentary sometimes but always seem to capture the spirit of the scene - simply amazing was what it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Pete wrote:
Paul, no I was getting at the "Turn around once and tap 3 times" lyrics. It's something I havn't heard for a real long time and it's something from the distant past. Innocent days, something from an old childhood book or film. I can't place it, and it's frustrating, but it really makes the song for me.

Reminds me of "knock 3 times on the ceiling if you something something" ... but probably not what you're thinking of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 pm

sounds like a "rocky horror picture" kinda stunt! ..but thats prob not what yer thinkin! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm

tonybolony wrote:
sounds like a "rocky horror picture" kinda stunt! ..but thats prob not what yer thinkin! Wink

Definately not ha ha ! And when you google it, that song that Paul talks about is all that comes up No

Hey nice artwork Tony. Not a big fan of ML but can recall loving all those graphics art LP covers in the 70's.

If I find the bit I'm looking for will let you guys know - I'm wondering if its someting from Disney, oh hold on, magic slippers in OZ, click 3 times ? nope No , but its someting like this Mad
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

IT IS A VARIATION ON THIS I FEEL

http://www.delamare-arts.com/dramasuperstitions.htm
Back to top Go down
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Watch this at 6 minutes Very Happy

It just hit me tonight.

Okay, I'm sure this is where I'm getting the referance. Its from a fantastic Disney film from 1971. Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Compare the flying bed, to the front cover of The Cage was Unlocked.

I have no idea why this was lost and imbedded deep within my brain, but something obviously touched a nerve on hearing that lyric - I just really liked it.

Unfortunately its "a quarter turn and tap three times", so I got the spell a bit wrong wrong and was facing the wrong way ha ha! Embarassed

I can't say if this is where the band got the lyrics or thought from, but it would nice to think they did from my point of view. The film obviously had an impression on me at a very young age - its all about "believing", in a magical context. Anything is possible if you can use your imagination and believe, and then the adventures Very Happy maybe my earlier posts on this thread will make some sense now Surprised

Sorry about this little bit of self indulgence.

Must have had an affect on me
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:30 am

too funny - i was eatin dinner tonight and i thought of that show and also chitty chitty bang bang thinkin it was one of them but for some reason i was thinking of some kind of pocket watch turning... i can totally see the art reference too! yer brain is wired better than mine to make the connection!! my fave part of that show is the soccer (footy) match... i always fancied myself the cheetah Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm

not sure if you in Glasgow today already know but ZVG is playing this afternoon at 2pm at the "Captains Rest"..
here's the facebook event link...
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112003152163918&index=1
its all-ages and they will have a stand-up bass which would be pretty damn cool to see!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   Mon May 10, 2010 12:20 am

They were just at the same venue last weekend and said they'd be trying out songs from the new album... sent pete a mailer but it was too late by the time he got it.
hope you made it over this weekend!
jeez louise... i need to move to glasgow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April   

Back to top Go down

Zoey van Goey Live in Edinburgh 17th April
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next