camera obscura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
paul

Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] Empty
PostSubject: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm

...has anybody heard of them?

I just bought this, a single of there's where Stu & Sarah sing on the A-side, which is got me curious about the band in the first place.

The weirdest thing, is that I can't find ANY pirate copies of their albums/singles on the internet ANYWHERE. This hinders my usual music discovery process, where I download an album or two, decide if I like them, then buy the physical copies. I'm blind this time, I suppose like every single other person usually is... :P (What kind of monopolistic world is this where there's no legal method of trying a band out before giving them money? The RIAA would even love to sue you for listening to the [blech!] radio.)

So I've got a few bids on some dirt cheap CD's on ebay. If those sound good, it looks like there's an abundance of vinyl for the spending.

Last edited by paul on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Ha ! a chance for a tedious link to CO.

Sushil K Dade aka Future Pilot AKA was in the BMX Bandits formed 1986, The Soup Dragons formed late 80's and the Telstar Ponies formed 1994 - he played Bass.

All these bands at one time were referred to as the Bellshill sound, as was Teenage Fanclub, and all bands have had various shared members who have appeared in each of these bands.

When the Soup Dragons split, Jim Mcculloch also ex BMX bandits, joined Superstar formed by Joe McAlinden another ex BMX bandit, but now writes with Isobel Campbell - no introductions required there.

Francis McDonald played drums for BMX Bandits, Eugenius (with Vaseline Eugine Kelly ) and Teenage Fanclub. As well as having played with Sushil K Dade in the BMX Bandits, he has also worked with him while under his nom de plume, Future Pilot AKA whose music blends classic Glasgow indie pop with Indian classical, dub and hip hop touches and various collaborations.

Francis McDonald also manages CO.

Apologies if you already knew all this.

[strike]
Back to top Go down
http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:32 pm

I knew none of this, actually! Except for the Francis McD info. Thanksss (you left out, by the way, that he played drums on God Help The Girl... at least he did live...checking record sleeve...nope, Richard Colburn)

You mentioned Isobell Cambell, you know what she's up to these days? Does she have her own band? I suppose I could do some Googling, but I'd rather expend my energies asking people who actually know.

Also, back to C/O, what happened to John Henderson after the split? Early in my obscura discovery, I really didn't like his influence much, but his voice grows on ya. Lunar Sea is currently one of my favs.

Pete wrote:
Ha ! a chance for a tedious link to CO.

Sushil K Dade aka Future Pilot AKA was in the BMX Bandits formed 1986, The Soup Dragons formed late 80's and the Telstar Ponies formed 1994 - he played Bass.

All these bands at one time were referred to as the Bellshill sound, as was Teenage Fanclub, and all bands have had various shared members who have appeared in each of these bands.

When the Soup Dragons split, Jim Mcculloch also ex BMX bandits, joined Superstar formed by Joe McAlinden another ex BMX bandit, but now writes with Isobel Campbell - no introductions required there.

Francis McDonald played drums for BMX Bandits, Eugenius (with Vaseline Eugine Kelly ) and Teenage Fanclub. As well as having played with Sushil K Dade in the BMX Bandits, he has also worked with him while under his nom de plume, Future Pilot AKA whose music blends classic Glasgow indie pop with Indian classical, dub and hip hop touches and various collaborations.

Francis McDonald also manages CO.

[strike]
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Pete wrote:

whew - never knew this so concisely! seriously, i knew there was connections jus by reading liner notes and bio pages on myspace and the like but not to this extent. i'm a big fan of making mix-cds for long car rides and this has inspired me to put one together with the above bands... should be fun! lets hope the kiddies agree
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 pm

tonybolony wrote:
Pete wrote:

whew - never knew this so concisely! seriously, i knew there was connections jus by reading liner notes and bio pages on myspace and the like but not to this extent. i'm a big fan of making mix-cds for long car rides and this has inspired me to put one together with the above bands... should be fun! lets hope the kiddies agree

Ohhh, when you do so, post a playlist. I'd like to make a mix of my own...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 pm

paul wrote:
You mentioned Isobell Cambell, you know what she's up to these days? Does she have her own band? I suppose I could do some Googling, but I'd rather expend my energies asking people who actually know.

Also, back to C/O, what happened to John Henderson after the split? Early in my obscura discovery, I really didn't like his influence much, but his voice grows on ya. Lunar Sea is currently one of my favs.

I thought you would be at least aware of the Ballad of the Broken Seas album from 2006, it got a great NME review, 10/10 from memory, I've still got the review somewhere, as my partner loves B&S and when I saw the review, it was straight on the list for her as a Christmas stocking filler.

http://www.nme.com/list/the-top-100-greatest-albums-of-the-decade/158049/article/158157

The last I'd heard, she had another album in 2008 which also got great reviews. Unfortunately, we have hardly played the albums here, probably because we stayed in Manchester for 2 years and all my CD's were at home and we only came back once a month for a long w/e. A new album is due in 2010.

http://www.myspace.com/isobelcampbell She is still working with Jim McCulloch and also Eugene Kelly.

I don't know if you've ever had a Rock Family Trees type thing over there guys, but this Glasgow one if its not been done, would be something else, I can tell ya !

Re John Henderson, I've struggled to find anything about him ( I was trying to for info for ATFWC when I was adding the info last year ). To be honest, I really don't care for his voice or style of singing. There is one track he sings that I put up with, just 'cause TAC sings a lush vocal near the end. Before you Cry.

In fact I would probably say, that CO were completely off my radar as a direct result of having heard their earlier stuff - I probably dismissed them out of hand as B&S copycats. No

I've always tried to keep up to speed with the indiepopsecene here, the history of the best bands, even trying to backtrack to the 60's and 70's. I could probably make a list of some of the most iconic bands/albums some time.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I quite enjoy both TAC's and JH's vocals on "Before You Cry", but Tracyanne's afterthought vocal is indeed particularly tear swelling on that track. If I'm in the right mood, I'll get all choked up on that one.

Anyway thanks for the info on Isobel - got bids on Ballad and Milkwhite Sheets vinyls right now. Shipping is going to be a bitch, $20 out of Denmark to the States, but they look to be incredibly rare so if in the absurd instance that I don't like it, I could probably make my money back reselling through Amazon. (People will pay insane prices on that site for OOP albums, last year I sold the 5.1 channel DVD-Audio version of Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad for $120. And I set that price at $30 less than the lowest seller! As I recall, I spent maybe $15 when the 5.1 was release in 2003.)

If anybody is wondering how I can spend shitloads of money on music right now, my tax return just came in. Paid off some credit cards and the rest I've got dedicated to plastic music.

Last edited by paul on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Pete wrote:
There is one track he sings that I put up with, just 'cause TAC sings a lush vocal near the end. Before you Cry
i TOO love that short n sweet vocal - was once hoping to hear her sing the entire thing live but seems highly unlikely.. Lunar Sea does get in my head as well but i don't really care too much for his singing..

as for Isobel Campbell (any relation to you-know-who??), i like Milk White Sheets myself - listenin now actually! dont know much about the band tho - havent done the google yet...
tony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Pete wrote:
( I was trying to for info for ATFWC when I was adding the info last year ).
I've always tried to keep up to speed with the indiepopsecene here, the history of the best bands, even trying to backtrack to the 60's and 70's. I could probably make a list of some of the most iconic bands/albums some time.

Thanks for all this research you've done, btw, despite your efforts not having seen the light of day yet. Really makes me itch to get ATFWCG ready, I just want to read all this stuff you've collected! I still plan on relaunch late Feb. And in case you were worried, none of the stuff you put on the Wordpress site has been deleted, it's just inaccessible at the mo.

I am thinkin', one cool feature to the site we could build is visual diagram of all the indie bands/musicians connected to CO in whatever way. An "All The Friends of Camera Obscura" family tree, per say.
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:50 pm

paul wrote:

I am thinkin', one cool feature to the site we could build is visual diagram of all the indie bands/musicians connected to CO in whatever way. An "All The Friends of Camera Obscura" family tree, per say.

Yeh, thats an idea, and a good one. I think we know the WP site was pretty bland but the new one, although a bit dark for you, looked really classy to me. In fact you blew me away, I thought it was really cool. You're the code master, so whenever you get the new skeleton for the site we can have another go. I wouldn't want to lose what Gra has created here so it would ace to Transport/merge them, I think we will probably get more people posting as all the info will be in one location, and fans may want to comment. Its funny but when I look on twitter, myspace and facebook, there are tons of fans posting to the band directly. These sites have all the info and links (well some info and links Wink ), but no forum, we have the forum, but no info or links, unless you trawl through the threads. I'm sure others here will help out. Derek mentioned sometime ago about helping with the setlists for gigs for example. Anyways, I knows ya busy and got a lot on, so no sweat Wink
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:50 pm

saw on BMX bandits myspace blog today if anyone is interested...
Quote :
Yeongene's album 'Bonnie Gene' is released today on PoppyDisc. The album release includes 'Me & My Burt', Yeongene's Burt Bacharach songbook, produced by Duglas T Stewart and David Scott, plus tracks by Yeongene with BMX Bandits. Guest stars on the album include Norman Blake and Francis Macdonald of Teenage Fanclub, Eugene Kelly of The Vaselines, Stevie Jackson of Belle & Sebastian and Bill Wells
i will be checkin that out promptly! Smile
tony
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 6:26 pm

I just bought all three Looper albums (the band by that other Belle & Sebastian deserter, Stuart David), they were sitting on Half.com looking so sad at [less than] a dollar each - I haven't a clue what they sound like, I assume B&S-ish, but for that kind of pocket change, I can't really go wrong. I tried to go to the official Looper website, but I kept getting multiple complaints from my browser that it was Malware infested, so I didn't go further than the front page.

Before the cd's arrive, thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Not sure, knowing your taste, if you'll like that stuff Paul - it was very electro orientated from what I recall ?

Be interesting to see what ya think tho, wasn't my cup of tea - so to speak.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:05 pm

I recieved The Snare yesterday and Geometrid this morning, you are quite right Pete, it's not really my cuppa tea. Very electronica - which I can take in small doses, interlaced with other styles (B&S's "Electronic Renaissance", for instance, which I now reckognize to be very Stuart David influenced), but not a whole album at a time. I have a friend I will give the CD's to, she likes this sort of style.

It's been quite an interesting month of music discovery for me. Out of the dozen or so new [to me] artists I've listened to, I'm surprised to have only found one I didn't like. Usually my esoteric taste (translation: pickyness) manifests itself with a completely opposite ratio of like:dislike.
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 pm

I definitely agree with the "blech" sentiment over Looper. When they first started out I bought the 7"s and the album and everything... and tried listening to it... and really found myself forcing myself to like it. Therefore... I don't like it.

As far as "Electronic Renaissance" goes... it might be pretty Stu David influenced... but it's much more of a pop song than the pure David junk. Just look at "Century of Elvises". THAT is total David. "Electronic Renaissance" is actually a pretty brilliant song and I think Mr. Murdoch had quite a large hand in the writing of. They played it quite frequently in the 2006 tour and it was even better live than on record. Really gave me a whole new appreciation for the song.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm

derek wrote:
As far as "Electronic Renaissance" goes... it might be pretty Stu David influenced... but it's much more of a pop song than the pure David junk. Just look at "Century of Elvises". THAT is total David.

There is just one part of "Century of Elvis" that I like - the very last line, "I used to think my dad was Elvis, but I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my dad either." Got a chuckle, never listened again. Then there's that other spoken word track on Arab Strap which I usually skip over, "A Space Boy Dream", I assume that's David's work as well.
Back to top Go down
derek

derek

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 pm

paul wrote:
There is just one part of "Century of Elvis" that I like - the very last line, "I used to think my dad was Elvis, but I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my dad either."

I always kinda liked that part too. I mean, it's not an awful song... but I much prefer "Century of Fakers".

paul wrote:
Then there's that other spoken word track on Arab Strap which I usually skip over, "A Space Boy Dream", I assume that's David's work as well.

Correct-a-mundo!
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:36 pm

paul wrote:
Ohhh, when you do so, post a playlist. I'd like to make a mix of my own...
i was listenin this morning to a mix i did an realized that i said i would post it...so, here ya go if interested - its not the greatest compo but it was a buncha tunes that got me interested in the bands in the first place..
a few are common and i know some arent (as i looked pretty damn hard for some of them).. wish i could say that they are all legally-acquired but such is not the case.. Embarassed got a few as per the earlier postin - hadnt looked into it too too much till now and i'm not even sure if all these count as "bellshill beats" or not but when i made it, i didnt really care.. Wink
as you can see, i'm a fan of bmx bandits and teenage fc so threw a bunch of theirs on it ...i'm not a huge soup dragons fan but i threw on i'm free as i know most people like it... oh, an don't know why the Pastels song (#16) doesnt have artist & title listed (??) but its from the disc Illumination
arranged songs by year (mostly)...
um..tracklist...
Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] Trackl12

and tunes...
http://www.zshare.net/download/73512978e675334e
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks mate. Good stuff, lots I haven't heard before. I have really been meaning to try out BMX Bandits...
Back to top Go down
Pete

Pete

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Soup Dragons were G-A-S-H

but not a bad liitle mix.

Try out Love & Money - Strange Kind of Love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]   Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents] Empty

Back to top Go down

Future Pilot AKA [& other Indie Pop Tangents]
Page 1 of 1