camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Some newfangled muzak

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paul

PostSubject: Some newfangled muzak   Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Spoon
Hardly a new group, but I heard them for the first time on Conan O'Brien last tuesday.
Merge is their current label, which automatically gives them +100 awesome points. I purchased the FLAC files of their new album, Transference, and the LP is on its way.
http://www.mergerecords.com/transference/
Very classic rock/punk sounding. Reminds me of Joe Jackson, The Ramones, The Blockheads, and quite bare sounding. No more than the four group members playing instruments at a time.

And another Merge child,
Volume Two (She & Him)
The album is out March 23, and now available for preorder:
http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=675
I have heard the new single, it's pretty fabbo. (listen at sheandhim.com) This is also available for pre-order on 7", which will be released late February. They'll be playing at Coachella apparently - This I'm not super psyched about, as it was either tony or derek (or neither?) who said they were not fantastic at Mergefest. IMAO, they should try doing a duo act, instead of carrying along Him's band. Just M. Ward on guitar, Zooey on piano, would be difficult to pull off but fantastic.

Anybody else find anything good lately?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:38 am

it were me who mentioned them at mergefest(me mates neil an sean went) i unfortunately i couldnt afford to go......she & him and spoon are great,infact merge has some of the greatest bands,i was brought back some local papers(chapel hill stuff)from the time,its a bit old now but last week i managed o get me hands onto aeroplane over the sea-neutral milk hotel...i read somewhere recent that jeff magnum had said without vic chesnutt this album would have never happened....it is the iconic merge album i think....but one of many excellent ones inc stuff by lambchop,superchunk,erm etc............
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
steven13

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm going to see Spoon in 2 weeks at King Tuts a band called White Rabbits are supporting they are ok as well they have 2 drummers shades of Adam And The Ants there.
I went to see Delphic on Friday in Glasgow they were excellent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I actually just saw both Spoon and White Rabbits this past week (separate shows), and both are fantastic!

Saw Spoon this past Thursday at Mercury Lounge in NYC (Camera Obscura played there last year... tiny, tiny venue). Their new material sounded great. Really rockin', actually. They didn't have any horns with them (couldn't have fit them on the stage probably!), so they didn't play my personal fave, "The Underdog"... which is very horn-heavy. I highly recommend seeing them. This was my second time seeing them.. the first was a huge outdoor concert they headlined in Brooklyn a couple of years ago... which, coincidentally... White Rabbits opened! (Actually the lead singer for White Rabbits even guested on a couple of songs at the Spoon show the other day.)

Then last night I saw White Rabbits at Bowery Ballroom in NYC (Camera Obscura played there in 2006...). Boy,oh, boy! These guys are AWESOME! They really set a mood, and get the whole crowd thumping. Their songs are catchy and kind of danceable... but they also have a really menacing undertone that I totally dig. I've actually seen them quite a few times before... headlining their own shows, opening, etc.... (actually I first saw them opening up for Peter Bjorn and John a few years ago)... but I hadn't seen them since that Spoon gig they were the opening act for. I thought they were great back then... but a couple years of touring and another album under their belt really made them all that much better. Top notch gig.

I really recommend everyone get the 2 White Rabbits albums, "Fort Nightly" and "It's Frightening"... but they are even better live than on record. One of the best live acts out there today, if you ask me.

As for other new stuff... I'm really excited for the new Beach house album that comes out tomorrow. I really love the first two albums, but word on the street is that this new album is going to make them household names!

But there are a ton of bands coming out with new albums this year that I'm excited about: The National, Love is All, Los Campesinos!, Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastian (well, I can hope!), Fleet Foxes, She & Him... and I'm sure there are many more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm

yeah - I've said before that this was why i loved this forum.. peeple with similar music tastes introducing some cool bands or albums that i would never have sought out on my own. there was a previous thread (i'd hafta look for it) where everyone helped out with some of the openers for CO for example.. Essex Green, Beep Seals and such... i know, some are kaput now but a "new" band to me fills those gaps between albums of bands i do know. 2009 was a fantastic year - lots of new and excitin stuff! Camera Obscura, God Help the Girl, She and Him, Peter Bjorn & John, Metric, Trews, Neko Case, Wilco and a bunch of older stuff that was new to me... I hav always liked Spoon - not necessarily one of my favourites but pretty decent...Ga Ga Ga is what i like most i think. havnt given the new one much of a listen tho.. its a different genre i guess of tunes so it doesnt come up much here maybe? like the new Alice In Chains Twisted Evil - little bit different from CO... other "popular" radio-like bands dont get mentioned either i assume cause we ALL know them - even when we dont like em.. i've always had a soft-spot for Weezer myself.. just fun music. Sam Roberts and Matt Mays are two of my favourite Canadian rock bands which i've prob mentioned before... my wife loves Kt Tunstall, Sheryl Crow and Dido so i know most of their stuff by default! Very Happy she has said and i quote "some of the music you listen to in your car isnt as crap as most" EEK! she does like CO of course, Essex Green and GHTG but much of the rest...not so. ah well, cant win em all eh?! anyhow, keep up the recommends and the new stuff yer listenin to because i always am on the lookout for new tunes! Cheers
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:51 pm

more on this... was readin a bit on Go-Away Birds that some here have gone "mental" over! Wink and followed the link to Zoey Van Goey. anyone seen them? the myspace tracks are good an jus looking for more on them..
while Im asking, anyone know where i can get the Go-Away Birds eps? i see one on their website an another you can download but im not even sure of how many there are or what kind of discography they have - the web is somewhat silent on this...
thx
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:05 pm

tonybolony wrote:
more on this... was readin a bit on Go-Away Birds that some here have gone "mental" over! Wink and followed the link to Zoey Van Goey. anyone seen them? the myspace tracks are good an jus looking for more on them.

No, but agreed, thanks for posting, love it. Could be my next new favourite thing. They are playing in Glasgow tonight, but I can't make it, will keep an eye for future dates. Meantime, I just ordered their debut CD, and check this out, sounds differant to the myspace tracks with it being acoustic, how talented tho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tinthepark/2008/artist/feature02/index.shtml?video002emp Very Happy

http://www.myspace.com/zoeyvangoey I'm loving Sweethearts in Disguise and The Best Treasure Stays Buried.

http://www.youtube.com/zoeyvangoey Just found this Youtube channel.

There bio says they are from England, Ireland & Canada, but thats a definate Scots burr from Kim. The guys voice reminds me of James Grant ex Love & Money - worth checking him out btw, his solo stuff is awesome and he is playing live in the Spring. This one's an oldie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuiIJNbJb8U&feature=related

Strange Kind of Love is a fantastic album (1988), but Dogs in the Traffic (1991) was arguably their best.

Oh yeh, and I just checked the other bands you mentioned in your post, and now have 3 Cd's from The Essex Green winging in their way to my mail box - thanks matey Cool I'm checking out that whole Elephant6 stuff while I'm at it.

As for Spoon and White Rabbits, will keep and eye out for them as well. Wasn't sure if its really my kinda thing, similarly, Delphic do seem to be causing a bit of a stir Steven, but not sure if I am keen on the dark electrosynth sound, only heard 1 track so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Well its Friday, time for a beer and kick back with the 2 Essex Green Albums that have arrived so far, The Long Goodbye is playing and at track 4, so far, I'm really digging this. Track 3 was brilliant, love this girls vocal, doesn't seem to be track list on this CD for some reason, maybe its on the CD itself ? Will check later, my Zoey van Goey hasn't arrived from amazon yet Neutral

Btw, in relation to another thread re tedious links, James Grant ^^^^ mentioned above, Monica Queen does backing vocals Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:31 pm

EG are great - someone here long ago pointed me at em as they opened for CO back in 2007 i think. i wouldve LOVED to see one of them shows! Sad but they havent played (as far as i can find out) since 2008 at the Bell House in Brooklin. i am a "fan" on their facebook page and a user posted
Quote :
This is what I know....The Essex Green have been essentially on hiatus since October 2008....the last time they updated their official website was around then, after they played a show in New York....Over the last two years, two thirds of the band have become first time parents (Sasha Bell welcomed a baby daughter into her life, and Chris Ziter and his wife also had their first child!) So, I'm assuming this is part of the reason for the hiatus...
hoping against hope that theyve been recordin and hav a new album for 2010.. and do some shows. i'm also in the forum for Elephant6 here... www.e6townhall.com but i hafta admit i havent followed it too too closely of late. still looking for the "Brooklyn Basement Tapes" which precede their albums..
enjoy your tunes Pete!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Essex Green were definitely a great CO opener. Saw them at Warsaw in Brooklyn and Paradise in (awful, stupid, horrible) Baw-ston.

Actually... they were so good that I saw them again in a headlining show a few months later.

One thing I don't like about them... the opening of their song, "This Isn't Farmlife" sounds like a complete ripoff of the Belle & Sebastian song "Dirty Dream #2". Still a good song, just a ripoff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm

wow! i didnt know the B&S song but that is damn damn close! just added a guitar riff over it..eek. maybe it was just their way of tribute! yeah thats it.. tribute.. Wink
bolony

btw - Dirty Dream is a great tune!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 pm

one of my favorite B&S tunes. I even made a music video for it in my college days using sock puppets!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:25 pm

haha! thats great! soo.. where's the Youtube link??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:37 pm

ha. no one will be viewing that anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 pm

There's an official video for DD#2, it used to be on YouTube but appears to be removed by the UMG. I'm guessing it's probably on the "For Fans Only" DVD. Speaking of which...I need to buy that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Pete wrote:
Well its Friday, time for a beer and kick back with the 2 Essex Green Albums that have arrived so far, The Long Goodbye is playing and at track 4, so far, I'm really digging this. Track 3 was brilliant, love this girls vocal...

my wife has been listenin to Cannibal Sea continuously lately an it got me to looking more at Sasha Bell and discovered that she did a solo album in 2003 called "Destination Girl" under the moniker "the finishing school"... i've searched online for some samples and what i've heard is pretty damn good. the official EG website also has it under the "music" tab as a related project - also lists "the Sixth Great Lake" which i knew nothing about but again, the free mp3's they offer are sound good.
what with Valentine's Day coming, i think i will buy the lovely wife the finishin school cd and earn some points fer "thoughtfulness"! Wink

tony
oh here's a link to allmusic's review...
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0cfuxqtaldse
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 pm

My new She & Him 7" arrived today, the single "In The Sun" with B-side, "I Can Hear Music" (cover). I don't know if the production style on the single is any indication of the forthcoming Volume 2, but it's much more upbeat, cheerful. For the most part, Volume 1 was rather melancholy in both sound and lyrics, if you recall. This seems, I don't know, happier - I like it quite a lot. Quite an awesome guitar solo by Him as well, which I actually find to be rare on indie records - perhaps because extended guitar riffs are almost cliche in the mainstream, indie artists stay away from them, but I am a fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm

I still haven't heard any of the new She & Him. Think I'll just wait until the proper album comes out. Interesting that you say it's a little "happier" though. I couldn't keep the smile off my face when I first hear "Vol 1". Maybe this new one will be bubblegum overload!!! Either way... still really looking forward to "Vol 2", and I have tickets to see them next month. Ultra-psyched!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Has anybody heard Broken Social Scene before? Are they good?
Insound is having a sale, the new The National plus the new Broken Social Scene LP's for $32. It isn't a knock-your-socks off amazing price, but I thought I might try them. "Best of 2010" is 20% off right now too, good time to grab Spoon's Transference if you don't have it yet. (btw, the LP version has got different mixes than the CD)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

paul wrote:
Insound is having a sale, the new The National plus the new Broken Social Scene LP's for $32. It isn't a knock-your-socks off amazing price, but I thought I might try them. "Best of 2010" is 20% off right now too, good time to grab Spoon's Transference if you don't have it yet. (btw, the LP version has got different mixes than the CD)

I'm not all that into BSS, but you should definitely pick up "High Violet" when it comes out. The National are amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 pm

derek wrote:
paul wrote:

I'm not all that into BSS, but you should definitely pick up "High Violet" when it comes out. The National are amazing.

I was already planning on getting The National's, I think Insound still has the preorder+t-shirt bundle for $22. Will likely grab that.

Looks like BSS is Canadian. And since Mr Boloney is our resident expert on all things Canadian... ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 pm

haha - i've been overlookin this country's bands which has become obvious over the past little while.. well pop bands anyhow...
um Broken SS was never my cup o tea.. i do like some songs but never enough to pick up albums. they have very rich full music with lots of synth sounds or sometimes etheral sounds.. i remember liking the second album i think... yeah, You Forgot It in People (just googled) and particularly liked Anthem for a 17-yr old Girl.. they have soo many people contributing to the band at various times so its hard to get consistency i guess. i dunno, maybe i should look into them closer - i do know lots of folks love them... just never got that into them other than what i heard at a buddies place.
bologna
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 pm

tonybolony wrote:
haha - i've been overlookin this country's bands which has become obvious over the past little while..

There's a lot of good music from your country. You ever get into Eric's Trip? Mid-90s lo-fi/sappy/pop/punk. They still occasionally play shows up north, but I've never seen them. Julie Doiron, who was one of the singers in the band, has formed a relatively successful solo career and i've seen her maybe 4 or 5 times over the years. she's really great. i highly recommend.

also... don't forget The New Pornographers are more or less a Canadian band!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

tonybolony wrote:
haha - i've been overlookin this country's bands which has become obvious over the past little while.. well pop bands anyhow...

didja know the male lead of Zoey Van Goey is Canadian? I only found out recently. Funny combination of folk, actually... a Canadian, Londoner, and Irishman... recording in Glasgow. LOL

i'm downloading BSS's most recent album right now to try them out. i'm not big into synth pop, so i'm guessing from comments that i won't be into these guys. but worth a try i suppose...

Last edited by paul on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 pm

yeah i know the pornos Wink ...and haha - Eric's Trip and Julie Doiron are from Moncton NB which is about 80 kms from where i grew up so i heard them plenty but always saw them as a "local-only" kind of popularity... i never met anyone outside of NB that even heard of em... my sister-in-law even has Julie as a friend on facebook Smile but i honestly have not listened to them since the late 90s i think... jus did a allmusic search and kerpow - she has like 15-20 albums and EPs!! wow who knew?! not me... Embarassed
will be rectifying that promptly...
thanks again Derek!!
tony

(see Paul? they know more on this forum than i do up here!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some newfangled muzak   

Back to top Go down

Some newfangled muzak
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
camera obscura :: Camera Obscura-
Jump to: