camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
paul

PostSubject: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:07 pm

From twitter: (http://twitter.com/camera_obscura_/status/7847392377)

Quote :
Hello, just wanted to let Oz & Japan fans know that there will be a special edition of the album complete with 5 extra tracks on this tour.

Ok, that's cool. Wait... 5 extra tracks? Five new tracks? Five B-sides? Hmmm.... I wonder what exactly this means. But why only Japan and Australia? I want a special edition album too!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 am

I would imagine 3 of the 5 tracks are:

You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven
Tougher Than the Rest
The Blizzard

And maybe the Jim Noir remix of Navy that was on the CD?

That leaves maybe one unaccounted for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

"The World Is Full of Strangers" would be my guess....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:20 pm

derek wrote:

Ah, yes that was on the 7" version of French Navy wasn't it? I've not got that actually ...

So that's 4 out of 5 I reckon ...

How about an all-brand-new cover of The Land of Make Believe by Bucks Fizz? No?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steven13

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:36 pm

5 live tracks recorded at the Barrowland show in April....... I wish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 am

ahh no doubt yer all right about previously released stuff as "bonus" tracks (only for those of us who havent already bought the singles for those exact tracks) but I'm putting some small hope that its 5 brand-spankin new songs..maybe two lovely unexpected covers and 3 songs that didnt make the cut on Maudlin. I'm a big fan of b-sides and am sort of hoping for some more of Kenny singin... likely? not really but one can hope eh? imagine this - a rare tune belted out by Carey! I'd buy the cd again just for that!! Very Happy
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Again from twitter.

Quote :
We're in Sydney. Nigel, Gavin, Lee and I are sharing an apartment, just like the Monkees. But with less hair. K

Holy... Does that mean Nigel is on this tour? Oh happy day!!!!! Hope he comes over for the States leg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 am

HA - i just read that too! be pretty sweet to see him play..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

TracyanneLovesTheGers wrote:
derek wrote:

The Land of Make Believe by Bucks Fizz? No?

A wee CD ep would be ace for me, especially with any B'sides only available on the 7" singles so TWiFoS's will do nicely, only heard it on Youtube.

Bucks Fizz Rolling Eyes - Is this for real, first I've heard of this, this band never fail to surprise me, I bet this somewhat previously throwaway pop dirge has been transformed into something special. Surprised

Ps. My daughter is in Sydney, knows about the gig, and I'm praying she went. She was complaining that 40$AUS was more than a bit steep for "an up and coming band" Shocked

Last edited by Pete on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Pete wrote:

Ps. My daughter is in Sydney, knows about the gig, and I'm praying she went. She was complaining that 40$AUS was more than a bit steep for "an up and coming band" :shock:

The most I'm willing to pay to see Steely Dan is about $50 (US) - which usually gets back row seats, if a ticket at all. I would gladly shell out $100 to see C/O. Heck, I'd shell out £100!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 pm

paul wrote:
The most I'm willing to pay to see Steely Dan is about $50 (US) - which usually gets back row seats, if a ticket at all. I would gladly shell out $100 to see C/O. Heck, I'd shell out £100!

I know. How did you think I felt knowing they were on her doorstep so to speak. Anyway, it's 6am across their at the mo, so maybe find out in a couple of hours, hopefully with a setlist...or Pete's younglass gets disowned Sad

Seriously though, she heard all the stuff when she was back here in Scotland last Summer, and when she returned to Oz was gobsmacked to hear some Ozziegirlfriend blasting MMC and earlier suff at a BBQ party Smile Word gets 'round ya know Wink

Last edited by Pete on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Just chucked this in here as a reminder, originally posted by Derek on another thread.

"Here's my list of b-sides and rarities. It doesn't include the "I Love My Jean" EP. Also included are known cover songs that have had at least a radio recording.

Camera Obscura B-Sides:

"Alaska"
"Amigo mio"
"Annawaltzerpose"
"Autumn Tides"
"The Blizzard" (Jim Reeves)
"Footloose and Fancy Free"
"Hands Up Baby"
"I Can't Stay Mad at You" (Skeeter Davis)
"I Love How You Love Me" (The Paris Sisters)
"The Last Song"
"Lemon Juice and Paper Cuts"
"Let's Go Bowling"
"Little Donkey" (Traditional)
"Modern Girl" (Sheena Easton)
"Phil and Don"
"Return to Send Her"
"Roman Holiday"
"San Francisco Song"
"Shine Like a New Pin"
"Sugar Town" (Nancy Sinatra)
"Super Trooper" (ABBA)
"Swimming Pool"
"Tougher Than The Rest" (Bruce Springsteen)
"The World is Full of Strangers"
"You're the Only Star in My Blue Heaven" (Elvis Presley)

and technically you could put "I Don't Want to See You" on that list."

I'd love to see some of the rare, unavailable stuff updated or otherwise and captured on CD
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Pete wrote:
I'd love to see some of the rare, unavailable stuff updated or otherwise and captured on CD

Graeme has mentioned this as well. I am hoping eventually they do something like B&S did with Push Barmen To Open Old Wounds, and stick them all on a triple LP or double CD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:09 pm

paul wrote:
Pete wrote:

Graeme has mentioned this as well. I am hoping eventually they do something like B&S did with Push Barmen To Open Old Wounds, and stick them all on a triple LP or double CD.

They totally should do this. Especially in an "off" year like this. Just put out a compilation in the fall. I'd totally buy it even if I already have everything on it. Hell... I bought the Limited-Edition CD of "Push Barman" the day it came out even though I already had every single track on it for years.

Speaking of which... B&S this year? If you look at the Q&As on their site... it's sounding like a distinct possibility! Oh how I miss them.... I think in the years since they've last toured, CO have eclipsed them as my favorite (current, active) band. Stu's got a lot of work to do if he wants to get back up there! Oh, hell... who am I kidding? I'd go see him if he were doing spoken-word renditions of Lady GaGa songs! Actually... come to think of it... that would be pretty awesome anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

some more twitterin...
Quote :
C and I sung our little hearts out with The Drums last night at The Barrowlands Ballroom. It was all a bit Human League. T
i've only heard the Drums once i think - i remember a nice retro-80s sound... anyone see them?
and btw - wouldve loved to see Carey sanging even if only from a barstool!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 pm

another twitter led me unknowingly to this link of a cover of Hey Lloyd....
http://themusicslut.com/2010/02/williamsburg-salsa-orchestra-covers-camera-obscura/
...words escape me....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steven13

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 pm

I was at the gig on Friday only caught 2 songs of The Drums as they were on first at 7.30 . I was raging I wanted to see them but my friend turned up late. The 2 songs I did hear were good . Didn't see Tracyanne or Carey. Of the other 3 bands I liked Bombay Bicycle Club best, I wasn't too impressed with The Big Pink and The Maccabees were so-so although the "kids" did seem to like them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

these are the hopeful twitters i like to see..

Quote :
camera_obscura_: I know you like to hear about what telly we've been watching, but today we were too busy making music Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sixthofmay

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:38 am

Pete wrote:
Just chucked this in here as a reminder, originally posted by Derek on another thread.

"Here's my list of b-sides and rarities. It doesn't include the "I Love My Jean" EP. Also included are known cover songs that have had at least a radio recording.

Camera Obscura B-Sides:
One more for the b-side list:
California Snow Story - This Trip (by the Brittle Stars)
...recorded for the Shelflife "You're Still Young at Heart" compilation.

Ok technically it wasn't "Camera Obscura", but it was David Skirving and Tracyanne Campbell singing (per David's post on the Bowlie thread "California Snow Story"). Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rateyourmusic.com/list/sixthofmay/brads_rock___indie___dr
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 pm

came across this thread earlier this morning and the completist in me had to find/hear this tune with David Skirving (early member of CO)& TAC... took some doing as this compilation album is hard to track down.. absolutely love the duet.. makes me wanna hear her sing more duets! oh ... ya can listen to the full track on last.fm

[edit] incidentally, David takes credit for the band name Camera Obscura.. not sure if its true but by some remarks by TAC, i believe it is.. read an interview with him and he sounds like a bit of a prick - maybe its just how it read tho? you be the judge...

Quote :
You left Camera Obscura in 2001 to form CSS. Are you still friends with the band, do you have any insight on their access to indie fame and success?

We speak occasionally but don’t manage to meet up often. Their success is purely down to having a great band name.

-Also, I can’t help but notice that alphabetically, "California" is right before "Camera". Is that a coincidence? Can you talk a little bit about your band name, or the album title?

Yes it’s just a coincidence, but I did notice that early on and liked the idea!
I stole the band name from another band’s song title. It was something I didn’t want to do but felt I couldn’t help. At the time it seemed perfect. I like unusual band names and I like the atmosphere that this name suggests…. the idea of something rare
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am

My take on this ...

In the 90's especially, it would be really hard for any band to get beneath my radar.

Without sounding like "I know it all", I was really confused that CO had managed to.

I've mentioned this before, I was confused about how this "New" band had got past me, then recalled from the deepest recess of my mind, on hearing early CO after Maudlin', and researching the band, seeing a guy wearing a CO T in 1992 or there about. My thought initially was "Jesus, are you for real ?"

Get a life !! Get some Music !!

They are a great band, but only in real terms since the shining jewel got the chance, almost reluctantly, to become chief songwriter, and VOX.
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm

nice little FB tidbit... man,i'm bored at work today.. nobody else here appears to be tho....

Quote :
We've been getting into new songs of late. In houses over tea, coffee, tuna sandwiches and the occasional biscuit, and in our rehearsal rooms too. Its exciting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band   

Back to top Go down

A thread for speculation about offhand remarks by the band
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1