camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2010 Tour Dates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:30 pm

If you're wife likes steaks... I would say go here to Peter Luger's in Williamsburg. It's amazing. Expensive. But amazing. I think a porterhouse for 2 runs you about $80, and everything is a la carte. For 2 people, if you have some drinks, figure about $150-$175 for your bill. Definitely a splurge, but well worth it. And it's a total NY institution. But if you think there's any chance that you'll want to go there, I'd just go ahead and make a reservation asap. It books up really quickly. But they don't ask you for a credit card or anything. The place is cash only. (as are a lot of old new york restaurants...)

As far as boardwalks... if you have nice weather... I'd take the train out to Coney Island. It's about 45 minutes outside of Manhattan on the subway... but it's got a great old boardwalk and the world-famous Cyclone roller coaster. And the original Nathan's. And, who could forget, the legendary Coney Island Freak Show. You'd definitely need to figure about 4-5 hours of your day if you go out there (including getting there and back), but it's a lot of fun.

If you like Italian... it's kind of touristy... but if you go to Times Square, the ONE decent place (well, this place and Carnegie Deli...) to eat there is Carmine's. It's a family style italian place. you and your wife could easily split a main course. There's better italian food in the West Village, but Carmine's is a lot of fun and the food really is very good. And at least it gives you something to do while you're in Times Square.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:38 pm

and this dear friends...is the beauty of (a)the forum............i hope to get to n.y one day...its never bin a big pull for me although my friend wanted to pay for my trip(50th)one of my friends is over to see the bacarach show on broadway in the summer........

Last edited by graeme on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

graeme wrote:
and this dear friends...is the beauty of (a)the forum......
sure is!!! you'll havta prepare a nice touring guide for Scotland fer us when we finally make it over there... it will happen...oh yes it will..
an thanks bigtime Derek - saving me tons of time and probably saving me from certain disaster!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm

tonybolony wrote:
graeme wrote:
and this dear friends...is the beauty of (a)the forum......
sure is!!! you'll havta prepare a nice touring guide for Scotland fer us when we finally make it over there... it will happen...oh yes it will..

I'll definitely be heading there too, at some point. I've decided that ATP is going to be too expensive, but hopefully B&S will do a show next year in Glasgow with CO opening! If that happens, I will be there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:54 pm

hahahaha pete`s ya man.....although i`d try and meet up like(300 mile drive is nowt to you lot,right?)

hope the trip goes well....................a fairytale......
Back to top Go down
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm gonna be seeing the band for the first time this coming April, after becoming a fan back in 2006 or so. I've waited soooooo long to see them and I finally get to see them, after missing them out on their last trek to San Francisco. VERY happy I'm going to finally be seeing this incredible band that has gotten me through some of my worst times.

They even inspired me to make a video...I used one of my favorite tracks from them, "Honey in the Sun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83HPku0u3vY

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cristiangonzales.tumblr.com/
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

you going to both San Fran shows? I'd love to see them open to YLT, but I also couldn't miss a headlining gig. Still... pretty awesome that they're opening for YLT. I never hear about them opening up for ANYONE. Kinda weird. Hopefully they get at least a 45 minute set.

Also funny that they headlined the Fillmore last time they played San Fran.

Oh... and welcome to the forum!

So far there are about 5 or 6 of us weirdos....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey there, thx for the welcome! :-)

I'm only going to one of their shows...at the Regency Ballroom. I didn't want to go to the other one because they are supporting another act. I wanted to see them as the headliner, because imo, they should be the headliner. I don't know of any other band that makes anywhere near as gorgeous music as they do.

Nothing against YLT, but I'm not paying a decent chunk of change to see them. It's all about Camera Obscura.
Back to top Go down
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if after seeing them at the Regency you'll want to go the next day to see them open at the Fillmore. It'll be like methadone to ween you off your CO addiction. You may go through withdrawl otherwise!

Also... you should note that a few of us are completely nuts and follow them around a bit. Not crazy, crazy-ass Phish like following... but try to hit up at least 2 or 3 shows when they are in a kinda-drivable vicinity. I live in NYC and will be going down to Richmond in June for that show (in addition to the New York show, of course.)

I guess I'm kinda the luckiest guy here, because CO seem to play NYC more than anywhere else. They played 4 gigs there last year! (well... 5 if you include an in-store, but I didn't go to that, so I pretend it didn't happen.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:27 pm

derek wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if after seeing them at the Regency you'll want to go the next day to see them open at the Fillmore. It'll be like methadone to ween you off your CO addiction. You may go through withdrawl otherwise!

Also... you should note that a few of us are completely nuts and follow them around a bit. Not crazy, crazy-ass Phish like following... but try to hit up at least 2 or 3 shows when they are in a kinda-drivable vicinity. I live in NYC and will be going down to Richmond in June for that show (in addition to the New York show, of course.)

I guess I'm kinda the luckiest guy here, because CO seem to play NYC more than anywhere else. They played 4 gigs there last year! (well... 5 if you include an in-store, but I didn't go to that, so I pretend it didn't happen.)

I lived in NYC for about 5 years or so, and got to see a lot of artists at some terrific shows, but for some reason, never made it a priority to see CO. I didn't make it a priority till lately, when I nabbed tickets to see them here in SF.

NYC is indeed a great locale to see a lot of artists---practically everyone goes there. One of my fav shows was the Scissor Sisters show at the MSG theatre. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

I miss NYC sometimes, but I needed a change from the lifestyle of the city. I guess I should've lived in Brooklyn. I feel I'd be a better fit in the BK hood now. I think it's the facial hair, lol.

I hope to meet the band when I see them. You've given me a lot of terrific information thus far, you rock, thx man. And I'm not surprised there's a bunch of you who follow them around. They're a pretty incredible band.

Smile
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 am

the thing is,they are just people like us......................welcome to the site,great video and stunning scenery....looked beautiful,the sea,the birds.....................i have been in love(but don`t tell anyone its supposed to be a secret).......
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:45 am

Just got home from the first show of the US leg of their two hundred and n-tieth Maudlin tour (those kids just don't stop do they?)
BEST
SHOW
EVER.

EVER.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 am

paul wrote:
Just got home from the first show of the US leg of their two hundred and n-tieth Maudlin tour (those kids just don't stop do they?)
BEST
SHOW
EVER.

EVER.

SWEET!!! Smile getting more and more excited as they hit SF.

graeme wrote:
the thing is,they are just people like us......................welcome to the site,great video and stunning scenery....looked beautiful,the sea,the birds.....................i have been in love(but don`t tell anyone its supposed to be a secret).......

i won't tell anyone, promise. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Setlist Paul ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Maudlin, World Is Full Of Strangers, Tears, Teenager, Get Out, French Navy, Dory, James, Honey, Sweetest, Clean, Lloyd, Looks ... margret...razzle

from whati can gather...pete...............
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Yep, graeme got it. (I'm guessing you copy/pasted my message on twitter, somebody else had asked)

Only one "oldie", Keep It Clean, but that's my FAVORITE SONG EVER, anyways. They actually had to restart it about 10 bars through - Tracyanne made some joke about them being old and forgetting how to play the song. (We were singing it for you anyway!!) Actually she seemed to be quite peppy all night. But how could she not? The place was packed to the teeth with standing room only and the crowd was absolutely lovely. A polite lot during the songs but knew how to really cheer on the band, despite it being devilishly warm. I was quite proud of my fellow Iowegans, I half expected it to be thin crowd, based on the still relative obscurity of the band, especially in a place like this, but no way! Because of how the festival and gig was set up, I don't think they officially "sold out", but there had to be a point where they started turning people away.

Show/encore ended with Razzle Dazzle Rose as it seems to usually, but they did an extended reprise that seemed to go on for three minutes or more. Carey's hands were banging on the keys so fast my retinas could hardly keep track - it's a wonder the girl didn't break her fingers off! I wonder actually if the poor miss isn't getting carpel tunnel syndrome, she seemed to hold her wrists a lot between songs, and sometimes during, as if they were causing her pain. I felt a bit bad, but like TAC, she was enjoying herself. Just hope for her sake it doesn't become a problem.

I've got loads of photos, they are coming once I sort through the blurry ones.

[edit: yes and the other oldie they played was Teenager, which the support band sort of requested during their act, though I think it was already on the setlist]

Last edited by paul on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:38 pm

paul wrote:
Yep, graeme got it. (I'm guessing you copy/pasted my message on twitter, somebody else had asked)

Only one "oldie", Keep It Clean, but that's my FAVORITE SONG EVER, anyways. They actually had to restart it about 10 bars through - Tracyanne made some joke about them being old and forgetting how to play the song. (We were singing it for you anyway!!) Actually she seemed to be quite peppy all night. But how could she not? The place was packed to the teeth with standing room only and the crowd was absolutely lovely. A polite lot during the songs but knew how to really cheer on the band, despite it being devilishly warm. I was quite proud of my fellow Iowegans, I half expected it to be thin crowd, based on the still relative obscurity of the band, especially in a place like this, but no way! Because of how the festival and gig was set up, I don't think they officially "sold out", but there had to be a point where they started turning people away.

Show/encore ended with Razzle Dazzle Rose as it seems to usually, but they did an extended reprise that seemed to go on for three minutes or more. Carey's hands were banging on the keys so fast my retinas could hardly keep track - it's a wonder the girl didn't break her fingers off! I wonder actually if the poor miss isn't getting carpel tunnel syndrome, she seemed to hold her wrists a lot between songs, and sometimes during, as if they were causing her pain. I felt a bit bad, but like TAC, she was enjoying herself. Just hope for her sake it doesn't become a problem.

I became more of a fan with Let's Get Out of this Country, and an even bigger fan with my Maudlin Career, so I am perfectly fine with them mainly concentrating on their newer stuff, as that's the stuff I tend to like.

Nice.

Thanks for the info. Paul.
Back to top Go down
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm

graeme wrote:
Maudlin, World Is Full Of Strangers, Tears, Teenager, Get Out, French Navy, Dory, James, Honey, Sweetest, Clean, Lloyd, Looks ... margret...razzle

They played "World is Full of Strangers"!?!?! Awesome! I've never seen that one live. That must have been the first time they ever played it. First time I ever heard of them playing it anyway. "Dory Previn" is great too! They need to break out "Forests and Sands" more often though....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

derek wrote:
They played "World is Full of Strangers"!?!?! Awesome! I've never seen that one live. That must have been the first time they ever played it. First time I ever heard of them playing it anyway. "Dory Previn" is great too! They need to break out "Forests and Sands" more often though....

Yup, they did indeed! Being a B-side on a 7", I don't play it very often, but hearing it live reminded me how much I like the track. As it's on the Aussie Tour CD, I'll probably listen to it a few times today. Still madly in love with the band again after Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:25 pm

derek wrote:
graeme wrote:

NICE!! here's hoping they play in NY too! it took me forever searching for a digital copy of that tune - i heard a snipit on some "questionable" site and it was released in physical form on vinyl i believe.. it wasnt until itunes picked it up that i struck gold.. i LOVE that song - dont know how it didnt make the cut even tho the album was stellar without it...
i've heard Forests twice now so Im kinda hoping for somethin older - dont get me wrong... the song is amazing..how can i not love it? but i want to hear as much of their complete songlist as humanly possible...
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 pm

paul wrote:

hahah - yeah she did that at the first show i saw too!! sooo much energy! i was right in front of her at that one too and the bar was sticky hot (and a dump) so the sweat was flying as she pounded the keys - was almost expectin to see the ol' "Don Music" from Sesame St head-banging-piano action! HAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm

tonybolony wrote:

NICE!! here's hoping they play in NY too! it took me forever searching for a digital copy of that tune - i heard a snipit on some "questionable" site and it was released in physical form on vinyl i believe.. it wasnt until itunes picked it up that i struck gold.. i LOVE that song - dont know how it didnt make the cut even tho the album was stellar without it...
i've heard Forests twice now so Im kinda hoping for somethin older - dont get me wrong... the song is amazing..how can i not love it? but i want to hear as much of their complete songlist as humanly possible...
bolony

I just took a look at the store website as I thought "Strangers" was the digital B-side on the French Navy CD, but no, "...Blue Heaven" is on that. Strangers must have been on the 7" only, until the Special Edition CD came out, which Pete and I have. So, if you'd like a Flac copy of the track, rather than that lossy iTunes MP3 version, I can very well oblige. :)

Hearing "Eighties Fan" would have been great, hell, you know most of all I wanted to hear "I Don't Want To See You" - but they're a different band than they were 10 years ago, I understand if they don't want to play the old stuff, and I was very happy with getting one of the deep cuts like Strangers. AND of course, they played "Keep It Clean", even restarted it to get it right, so I was quite very pleased with the setlist. They really packed that hour full - quite a lot more songs than I expected.

Last edited by paul on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:56 pm

i would so love to see a "retro" show where they did all their old stuff... y'know, just for us obscuraphiles! maybe start with uk bird and work the way through the whole catalogue includin all covers and b-sides... how much would you pay for that show, eh?! thats something like 80 songs - over 5 hours worth of tunes... it could be a whole little festival ... "Festobscura".... mmm, think i'd break the ol piggy bank for that one!!
bolony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CristianisDaMan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I thought World is Full of Strangers was on the itunes version of the album as a bonus track?

That's how I got it.
Back to top Go down
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 pm

tonybolony wrote:
i would so love to see a "retro" show where they did all their old stuff... y'know, just for us obscuraphiles! maybe start with uk bird and work the way through the whole catalogue includin all covers and b-sides... how much would you pay for that show, eh?! thats something like 80 songs - over 5 hours worth of tunes... it could be a whole little festival ... "Festobscura".... mmm, think i'd break the ol piggy bank for that one!!
bolony

Even better, grab random chaps from the audience to do John's parts or songs. LOL
I'd certainly be willing to pay as much as I'm [almost, maybe, probably not] willing to pay for Bowlie 2 - which works out to about $300 American. The band could really rake in the cash with a show like that! Or, it could just be us forum dwellers who show up. Well that's why we're paying $500 a ticket, right? xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Tour Dates   

Back to top Go down

2010 Tour Dates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next