camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2009 US Winter Tour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 pm

signatures turned on,i think........
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Yep! Works now. For previous posts, you have to check the box at the bottom that says "Attach Signature" because the setting isn't on by default.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:01 am

Some videos of the St Louis show here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/snivelttam

and the St. Louis in-store with a comical acoustic version of Llyod:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jonrubin82#p/c/A52B843ED36C66C5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 pm

those in-store look like alot of fun - yeah Lloyd is pretty funny..well, theyre pretty funny at the trumpeting part - damn, wish they did a toronto store session...ah well..
i wonder if CO knew it was being filmed tho..or would care??

and thanks for the recommends fer B+S..i will have to sit nice and quiet with some big ol' headphones to get the big effect and give the Push Barman comp a shot.. who knows...
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Just found a professionally shot video of most of the Music Hall of Williamsburg gig from November.

Missing a few songs from the setlist... "Teenager", "Come Back Margaret" and "The Blizzard". But still pretty sweet. Quality is great!

And you can see me front and center leaning against TAC's monitor!

http://www.baeblemusic.com/concertvideo/Music-Hall-of-Williamsburg/Camera-Obscura.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Great find Derek - Thanks - do you know what the full setlist was for this gig ?

ta

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 pm

posted it here earlier... but here it is again:

my maudlin careeer
swans
honey in the sun
tears for affairs
teenager
the sweetest thing
french navy
pen and notebook
james
lloyd im ready to be heartbroken
if looks could kill
80s fan
come back margaret
---
lets get out of this country
the blizzard
razzle dazzle rose
---
[unamplified... TAC brought us back into the main room... her and c did this one just for us]
the last song
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Agh ! sorry, I remember now, the show where TAC sang to you after the gig Very Happy Love the sound mix on this one.
Back to top Go down
steven13

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I can't get that Babel link to play it keeps buffering anybody got any tips?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 am

wow, great recordin here too - better than most that i've heard... gonna hav to make myself a disc of this one! thanks for the link! too bad they didnt keep the cams on for the extra encore!! but i guess this way it keeps it special for ya Derek! cheers
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 am

Can you share the recording with us? *please*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steven13

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 am

You can download the recording for $10.99 bargain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:21 pm

What do you get for your $10.99? It looks terrific as a gig and in terms of shooting but what sort of quality are we talking for the bought product as compared with the pixellated viewing version? What file type?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steven13

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

It's MP4 format copies right into my iTunes I'm playing it now on my iMac which is linked to my stereo . The sound is great, picture is good as well not quite DVD quality but well worth the cash. It's better quality than the FIB shows or La Lieda shows . Get it bought the wee lass is is great voice we don't want everybody to think Glaswegian's are tight !!

Steven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm

For what its worth, I thought the mix of this sounded the best out of all the live stuff I've heard posted on this board. I can only say the mix, as I was listening on earphones, and Paul or others may have a better idea of the quality - being into FLAC files etc.

Can't put my finger on it, without trying to be over technical, it just sounded more fluid, with TAC's vocal high in the mix, space and clarity between each instrument and the levels sounding just right.

I know...I just tried to be too technical there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TracyanneLovesTheGers

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Even watching the webcast version I can hear Carey's keyboards very clearly, which you can't always make out that distinctly.

But, yes, we don't want people thinking Glaswegians are tight but then we also know that many a mickle maks a muckle and I wouldn't want to pay 6 quid for a ropey digital file that *isn't* near DVD quality.

I did wonder too if this was legit, with a cut going to the band, but it does say, "Camera Obscura appear courtesy of Beggars Group USA" or somesuch in the end credits.

If it's good quality I'd love to have it because the footage looks fantastic. Some of those guarded half smiles from Carey are clearly worth far more than $10.99 to witness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steven13

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Tracyannelovesthegers buy it now you won't regret it, I've now watched the whole show that I downloaded, no buffering excellent sound, Tracyanne high in the mix as Pete said , well worth 6-7 quid which in reality is only 2 pints if you lie in the West End like I do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Pete wrote:
For what its worth, I thought the mix of this sounded the best out of all the live stuff I've heard posted on this board. I can only say the mix, as I was listening on earphones, and Paul or others may have a better idea of the quality - being into FLAC files etc.

Can't put my finger on it, without trying to be over technical, it just sounded more fluid, with TAC's vocal high in the mix, space and clarity between each instrument and the levels sounding just right.

I know...I just tried to be too technical there :D

The difference is that this recording for purchase has been professionally mixed and mastered in post, as opposed to a direct recording from an audience mic, or even plugging into the soundboard. No matter what the sound file is (flac, mp3, mp4---er, mp4 is actually a video format that contains a stream that could be lossless PCM, ac3, mp3, or any number of other formats, including Apple's proprietary mp4a), the quality difference is in the mix, not the encoding. I've run a soundboard before where I've had up to 15 different line sources at a time (guitar 1/2/3, bass, keyboard 1/2, main/secondary/backup vocal, 5 dif drum kit mics, strings, horns, I could go on..., and that's actually a small board relatively) to mix together, and then later had to master recordings of those sources for a live CD; the techniques are entirely different when you're you're mixing on the fly for concert monitors (in a stadium, a park, a concert hall, and ESPECIALLY pubs!), or mixing for somebody's home theater/headphones.

Most bootlegs haven't been mastered, they're a direct recording of the engineer's set up that was intended to compensate for the audience size, the venue location, and a billion other environment variables, whereas most purchasable live recordings were mastered after the event in a studio with the intention of going to somebody's home. Different variables, more liberties to work with, the time to make artistic decisions, and best of all, no environment compensation necessary--that's the consumer's responsibility.

All that said, think I'll spend my lunch money today on some live Camera Obscura!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 pm

tonybolony wrote:
too bad they didnt keep the cams on for the extra encore!! but i guess this way it keeps it special for ya Derek! cheers
tony

I'm pretty sure there was at least someone standing behind me recording it, but nothing has surfaced as of yet. Actually, I'm kinda glad, as I was drunkenly singing along with TAC and I probably sounded horrible!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:41 pm

I'd also have to say that the quality of the sound on there is absolutely terrific! Which is great, because this really was about the best I've ever heard CO sound, anyway. Not just the recording, but it sounded amazing at the show itself. We're so lucky to have professional video and audio from a truly top-notch CO gig. Carey's keys sound amazing! And TAC even smiles about a a dozen times. They truly were having a great time at this gig and it shows in the recording.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 am

I am just listening to this now (not really watching, I don't have the attention span to actually watch performances unless I'm physically there.) Gotta agree with the consensus here, this is practically the best Obscura show I've ever heard. In performance, in audio quality, in set list even. Pen and Notebook is playing right now, reminds me how I fell in love with this lovely band. I cannot wait to see them in April. Gonna be brilllll!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 am

this is truly a great find.. i even like watchin the vid cause of the different angles that theyve recorded it from..last show i went to we started up on the balcony but by 3rd song were up front dancin so the angles they achieved here are practically the same even tho i saw them on a smaller stage.. well worth the 12 bucks is right... now to photoshop myself a nice cover for it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

paul wrote:
Pete wrote:

I know...I just tried to be too technical there Very Happy

The difference is that this recording for purchase has been professionally mixed and mastered in post, as opposed to a direct recording from an audience mic, or even plugging into the soundboard. No matter what the sound file is (flac, mp3, mp4---er, mp4 is actually a video format that contains a stream that could be lossless PCM, ac3, mp3, or any number of other formats, including Apple's proprietary mp4a), the quality difference is in the mix, not the encoding. I've run a soundboard before where I've had up to 15 different line sources at a time (guitar 1/2/3, bass, keyboard 1/2, main/secondary/backup vocal, 5 dif drum kit mics, strings, horns, I could go on..., and that's actually a small board relatively) to mix together, and then later had to master recordings of those sources for a live CD; the techniques are entirely different when you're you're mixing on the fly for concert monitors (in a stadium, a park, a concert hall, and ESPECIALLY pubs!), or mixing for somebody's home theater/headphones.

Most bootlegs haven't been mastered, they're a direct recording of the engineer's set up that was intended to compensate for the audience size, the venue location, and a billion other environment variables, whereas most purchasable live recordings were mastered after the event in a studio with the intention of going to somebody's home. Different variables, more liberties to work with, the time to make artistic decisions, and best of all, no environment compensation necessary--that's the consumer's responsibility.

All that said, think I'll spend my lunch money today on some live Camera Obscura!

Thanks Paul, thats what I just what I meant, you took the words right out of my mouth Very Happy Laughing
Back to top Go down
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 am

just last night i was reminded of.....watched the video in bed last night...great show,did someone say tracyanne smiled??it was awesome especially pen and notebook,but it was typical of camera obscura last year i think and by no means a criticism but very much autopilot,t.a.c in particular is all sulked up,now i am am fan of her silky sulkiness but sometimes you wonder of the chore of it all..............i am not talented,if i were i would still not wanna be in a globe trottin band,some would,ronnie wood?the songs are amazin,the save the voice key changes and vocal delivery are a mixture of two things,the boredom i suppose of doin the same tracks night after night and comfortability.....tim is doin a great job,but i am more than pleased to hear whispers of nigels return......lookin forward to a couple of shows this side of the pond this year...they are tryin to bust the american butt so to speak,hopefully they will take time out to enjoy any finicial reward this hard work may be puttin in the royal bank of scotland(well maybe gaggle of coffeurs in a jimmy choo shoebox under the bed)...laters folks............
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Pete

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Does anyone young computakidz know how to transfer this onto DVD so I can watch it in Big Screen ? bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   

Back to top Go down

2009 US Winter Tour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next