camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

2009 US Winter Tour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
derek

PostSubject: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Less than 3 weeks away!!

Brooklyn show has been sold out for a couple of weeks now. Anyone notice more sell outs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:52 pm

just checked Toronto - not yet... it did last time and this is a much better club to see em at so i will be surprised if they dont sell out
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 pm

getting closer... who's excited?! (i am... for one)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 am

me too since it's my first CO show! Anyone else going to the Atlanta show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 am

i hope they will have rejuvinated themselves with the 8 days off they`ve had....i`m sure they know how important it is to get"up"for the shows stateside......its bin a hectic year for the band and hopefully that will be reflected in their profile......the music hasn`t suffered at all...and maudlin seems to be gettin the attention it deserves...great to see them tourin this album throughout the year.....here`s to the next one.....enjoy the show,sure ya will.............
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Squij

PostSubject: So Ready!   Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Going to see them in Norfolk.... only a short 3 hour drive.... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.squij.com
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Squij wrote:
Going to see them in Norfolk.... only a short 3 hour drive.... Smile

I'm still planning on going to that one too. Only a short 7 hours drive for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squij

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Almost had a heart attack when I saw the wrong date posted on the Attucks site:

http://www.attuckstheatre.org/shows.html

Had to double check my tickets.... How early are you planning on hanging out in front?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.squij.com
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Squij wrote:
Almost had a heart attack when I saw the wrong date posted on the Attucks site:

http://www.attuckstheatre.org/shows.html

Had to double check my tickets.... How early are you planning on hanging out in front?

It is on Saturday, right?!

I was hoping to get to Norfolk sometime in the afternoon. Probably try to hang out near the club, get in line an hour or so before doors. I really doubt it will be all that crowded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sixthofmay

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:40 am

I'm looking forward to the Atlanta and Athens shows. Smile

Bit of trivia about the Atlanta show:
The Variety Playhouse was the location for two of the very last shows The Sundays ever did (December 5th and 6th 1997).

I haven't been there since, so it'll be a bit of a time warp back to those two Sundays shows. Harriet and David did a rare meet and greet for about 30 minutes after the first show, and was how I found out there was a special Toys for Tots benefit show the next morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rateyourmusic.com/list/sixthofmay/brads_rock___indie___dr
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 am

lookin forward to some excellent write ups...from you lot over the pond................hope you all(y`all?)have a great time at the shows and stuff....................
Back to top Go down
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 pm

anyone go to the New Orleans gig last night?

Oh... and they've added a couple of in-stores to the tour. Here's one in NY:

http://twitpic.com/q0y1z

Not sure if I'll make it to that one though. It's right before the brooklyn gig, and I want to make sure I have my spot right up front.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

There is an in-store for St. Louis and Atlanta too. I plan to see the one in Atl.

http://twitpic.com/q0y9d

http://tinyurl.com/yerqplq
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Why couldn't the NYC in-store be at 6pm like the other ones?

I'd like to be at Music Hall of Williamsburg for the proper gig when doors open up at 8:00pm.

If the Other Music in-store starts at 7pm (and on time), I'm guessing it should go around 30 minutes, as those things are usually pretty short... MAYBE I could leave Other Music at 7:30-7:35. If I run up to 14th street and catch the L train to Brooklyn... it SHOULD only be a 10-15 minute subway ride and the venue is only a couple blocks from that subway stop. So... theoretically... if everything goes perfectly, if the trains are running perfectly (which doesn't usually happen on Sundays)... I could go to the in-store and make it to Brooklyn in time for the doors opening. Or maybe if I just catch a cab outside of Other Music... that could work... probably a 15-20 minute cab ride.

Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Hey blurecu-- can you post on Saturday how long the Atlanta in-store was? Would help me to plan my Sunday....

... erg! why couldn't they have just done it on Monday when they have no gigs scheduled?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 pm

hahahaha degsy,kidda calm down...bleedin hell you`ll do yaself a mischief......you`ll get to both things i`m sure...to a little instore dvd shoot...then fly yaself by chinook to the gig..........easy........i`m sure your a legend at the shows and they`ll keep ya spot warm til you arrive.....leanin against me monitor........
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 am

haha! ya can cut the excitement with a knife here! i WISH they would do an in-store session where i can see em... have to convince the wifey that we need a road trip some time Wink i've tried (in vain) during the last tour to find something online recorded from a store session - at the very least a youtube... curious to know how that sounds. the only time i've seen an in-store session was when my buddy was playing to 11 peeple in a Sam-the-Recordman back in ...erg..the late eighties.. sound sucked brutally and well, the band did too but thats another tale..
who has seen CO at a shop or store (or library! like the uk ones)?? and how was it?
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 am

aw - an i jus checked... Toronto still not sold out. last time i think it was one of the first venues to sell out.. stupid Canucks.. Very Happy
anyone going to the Toronto show? anyone..anyone... Bueller??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blurecu

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 pm

The Atlanta in-store was 5 songs (Honey, Country, Forests & Sands, French Navy, James). Probably about 20-25 mins. The show was great with a large crowd. The setlist was standard with the addition of Pen and Notebook which I think they have been playing recently. The band is so tight and "on" that it was over in just a little over an hour. But, that hour was just pure magic. They did a meet-and-greet after the show with autographs and photos for us crazy fans.

Look forward to reading reviews on the upcoming shows this next week.

Some pics from the in-store:

http://twitpic.com/qa9uj

http://twitpic.com/qa8c2

http://twitpic.com/qa7ln

http://twitpic.com/qa6cd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:06 pm

*Gasp*! They're using Orange brand amps+cabs! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I'm not even kidding, Orange are a little pricey, but after I bought my first 15w 10" solid state two years ago, I'll never buy another amp brand again. The tube variety are only that much more amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:26 pm

amazing show last night at the Attucks in Norfolk, VA. Really cute little theatre. The crowd was a little strange because probably half the seats were reserved for season subscribers who weren't all that familiar with CO. It seems like the balcony was where most of the devoted ended up. We got some seats off to the side, but up front. Weird to see them in a seated venue. TAC was very amused by some kids in the balcony that were dancing the whole time. She also seemed pretty surprised that we would go all the way from NYC to Norfolk just to see them. But hey.. it was a Saturday... we didn't have anything else going on... what the hell? right?

Anyway... going to Brooklyn tonight. Think I'm going to skip the in-store. Want to make sure I have a great spot for the proper gig. TAC even told us after the show last night that she'd probably be cranky for the in-store and it probably wasn't worth going to. Ha.

Here's last night's setlist:

My Maudlin Career
Swans
Honey in the Sun
Tears for Affairs
Teenager
The Sweetest Thing
French Navy
Pen and Notebook (!!!!)
James
Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
If Looks Could Kill
Let's Get Out of This Country
Come Back Margaret
---
80s Fan
Razzle Dazzle Rose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:21 am

going to sleep now... but i thought i'd share really quick..

setlist from tonight in brooklyn:

my maudlin careeer
swans
honey in the sun
tears for affairs
teenager
the sweetest thing
french navy
pen and notebook
james
lloyd im ready to be heartbroken
if looks could kill
80s fan
come back margaret
---
lets get out of this country
the blizzard
razzle dazzle rose
---
[unamplified... TAC brought us back into the main room... her and c did this one just for us]
the last song

amazing. best. night. ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 am

ta for the reports back chaps............sounds like you`ve had a great time......little treat there to have tracyanne and carey unplugged so to speak,hahaha...the blizzard,erm sweet................
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 am

yeah! hopin they -play Blizzard for us too - only 3 more sleeps!!
an how the hell did ya get an unplugged Last Song?? well un-amplified as ya said.... how many people did they bring to the "main room" - i dont know the venue so i cant picture what the main room is...
we'll prob stick around to try and chat with the band again after this coming show and was curious of how and why they played a bonus for ya! Very Happy too lucky!!
tony

oh and thanks for the setlists - since they are almost identical, it's prob what i can expect too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paul

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:03 pm

derek wrote:

[unamplified... TAC brought us back into the main room... her and c did this one just for us]
the last song

amazing. best. night. ever.

OMG when Pete reads this he's gonna be so frakkin' jealous. HAHAHA.
Sounds fantastic mate. Too bad you didn't have a pocket DAT recorder hidden up your sleeve. .... .... or did you? ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derek

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 pm

ha. No. I didn't record it. Apparently there were a couple of people who were taping it with little point and shoot cameras. I dunno. Maybe something will end up on youtube. It was pretty much just TAC singing/playing guitar and Carey was playing the tambourine, and we were singing along (poorly).

So... how this happened... We had been requesting "The Last Song" for a long long time (pretty much since it came out). Every time we talked with TAC after a gig she would apologize for not playing it and say "next time". Honestly, I never really expected them to play it. Anyway... so then we drove 7 hours to Norfolk on Saturday and surprised the hell out of the band by being there. During the encore... TAC mentioned us as a couple who go to lots of their shows and we have a request that hasn't been played yet. TAC they wouldn't be able to play it that night... but would try again. After the gig... TAC admitted to us that the band had actually practiced "The Last Song" a few months ago, but they needed to do another run-thru before performing it. At least she was thinking of us!

Long story short... TAC tells us that either they will play "The Last Song" at the Brooklyn gig, or if they can't play it there... that she would come out afterwards with an acoustic guitar and play it for us. Actually, she ASKED us if it would be okay if she did that. To which we were like... "uh YEAH! Please!"

So yeah, anyway... Tracyanne is a woman of her word. After the Brooklyn gig the main performance space was cleared out by the bouncers. We waited by the door, which is kinda by the merch stand. After a couple of minutes TAC shuffles us back into the main space with a couple of our friends, grabs a guitar and plays it!

There was actually a small crowd on hand for it. Probably VIPs that weren't forced to leave the main space.

After she played it, she hugged us both... then went over to talk to the fine folks from Beach House.

Have I said this before... Tracyanne Campbell is AMAZING! The whole band are some of the nicest people I've ever had the privilege of meeting. After our private performance, I saw Kenny and Gavin and just went to shake their hands and say 'thanks'. Kenny even asked me if TAC played the song for us! They are so great.

Still on a high from last night. The greatest show ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 US Winter Tour   

Back to top Go down

2009 US Winter Tour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next