camera obscura

a website for fans of glasgow pop group camera obscura

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

give paris one more chance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: give paris one more chance   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:29 am

paris gig

well we got there,the venue was hidden deep within the backstreets of paris.at 8 o clock magic arm came,a beardy sort in a"nixon"baseball cap...he started to play his songs with tim,the camera obscura percussionist intermittantly assisting on trumpet....his songs and style was great,a lot of sample/looping goin on,the sort of thing jens lekman uses but with a bit better understanding of it,hahaha no jens has mastered it now i think....as i said the songs were great...it was kind of neutral milk hotel,maybe not so twisted and lo-fi,i really enjoyed it,it was quite a short set..i asked him if his hat was a nod to kurt wagner...he said maybe

okay,onto the stage bout 9,10 came the band,no nigel,no francois,we now have tim in the family...erm he has a lot to live up to from nigels history and professionalism and francois excuberence(an thats not even mentionin mick cooke)the set list was the same as berlin,but with crowd pleaser,80s fan thrown in,which i will talk about later

my maudlin career
swans
tears for affairs
teenager
honey in the sun
forests & sands
the sweetest thing
french navy
80s fan
lets get out of this country
country mile
lloyd im ready to be
if looks could kill;

encore
james
razzel dazzel rose(yep i know)

okay i looked at the list before they landed on the stage,i knew what it is gonna be pretty much but lookin at it written down,there shall i say was an air of an old friend about,but i know a lot of the folk there may be seein the band for the first time,and it is a solid list....i suppose the longer termers among us would like to see more variaton but they arnt just playin for us are they?i stand against tracyannes monitor...not just hers like,whoever i go an see thats were i like to be..its documented elsewhere what a short arse i am..what i am tryin to say that its not the best place to be for the sound levels..there was a mic up in the air recording it to the sound desk,probably wont see the light of day this one

okay part two,the band sparked up with maudlin,erm all was not well,the bass was boomin a bit,or maybe the guitars and vocals too low,a lot tracyannes normal dare i say"old fashioned" stage monitors had been cut,in favour of bono-esque ear piece p.a monitor,and it wasnt workin that well,much scowlin goin on...before they had come on i was lookin at all kenny footpedals...how many batteries does it cost to keep camera obscura afloat?footpedals are a personal thing,there is much mention of the bands"big sound"but they do a lot of these songs so well stripped down but i am there to listen to the band,hopefully enjoy and go home happy....tracyannes old fender has gone in favour of a gibson,erm i can do change honest......most of the folk on here will have bin to c/o shows where they have battled with the sound,the venue is a nice size,quite right on....and the people there a loving every minute...which is great,they arnt arsed about ear pieces......i saw them play a big venue at leamington was it this year?an the night after they played sheffield a really small place...with pretty much this setlist...they sounded better on the second of the nights..i suppose its like anything else?nights out,trips to the races,whatever,some nights good,some nights bad...this was somewhere between ,the crowd were genuinely happy which is a good thing,the band derserve it for all the work they put in,but for me it was quite business like,but even though the songs can light up your heart,it really is a business they are involved in and they seem to be gettin more shareholders by the day,i love this band very much and wish them well...the crowd pleaser 80s fan,well personally i dont like to see it on the list,the song has faired them well but i dont think they enjoy playin it,it appears to me that way anyways...kiss me on the lips next time you see me(gav that is not tracyanne)if im wrong(bloody hell i hope im right) anyway first take aborted,lee is normally steady as a rock,he could play this song forever,even his attention lapsed and attacked his cymbal at the wrong time..too much accoustic guitar in his monitor,after throwing it out to a vote,it was decided by the fans to have another pop at it..starts again,gets to the second verse,tracyanne forgets it...if seen her do this before at exactly the same moment in the song.,she looks out at us and asks for help,i sing her the next line and shes back on track,she says to me"merci,beaucoup" i tell her im english and it carrys on....she said from now on the set will be flawless and it was...as much as it seems i didnt, i really enjoyed the show as ever...and it was great to go to another country to watch them..heres to mexico city next time(erm i jest of course)kenny thanked the crowd,the glasweigans that had ventured over and the"scousers" hahaha if that was for me,an i think it musta bin ta very much...im from birkenhead though...but scouse is good enough....

erm thank you for the music...apologies for those who hate my typin style...good luck if you can be bothered to decipher

Last edited by graeme on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cameraobscura.forumotion.com
Pete

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Cheers Graeme, seems like you enjoyed it, 80's fan in lieu of Keep it Clean, pretty much agree it would be nice to see more variation in the set...its too short though isn't it ? (For purely selfish reasons mind) Thansk for posting, had been checking the site non stop waiting for your thoughts Very Happy

We're you right up front ? its a nice view, but sound is usually too muddy for me.

Did you meet any of the band ? They seem to be playing hard to get by all accounts ?

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 pm

i was right up front,its nice to be up close...you can see an hear whats goin on(nah they didnt have marvin gaye over the spekers)
Back to top Go down
tonybolony

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:16 pm

yea - nice post Graeme ... shouldve said so before but havent gotten to it till now...they do seem to get their fair share of sound issues. I've seen previous posts and they even had a few minors probs at the only show i been to (so far!). Probably because of the range of instruments maybe (?) - not yer atypical buncha screamin guitars... hm maybe thats just what i been seeing - you guys seem to get to some pretty cool shows/festivals. To me, when they "screw-up" a tune, it just makes it feel more real.. does tha make sense? i certainly will recall the time that Kenny dropped his pick for instance and how he jumped right bak in smooth as you can. setlist - yea its pretty expected i see..i'd personally like to hear Dont Do Crowds or Suspended From Class - anyone know of when they played em live last? hope they still do em (and hope-against-hope that Carey reads some of these and gets them in on the Toronto show - aww i can dream cant i?). all in all sounds like a decent number of shows ya saw - i'm green with envy agin.. an thanks for tha posts guys!
tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:50 pm

i`m all for flyin by the seat of ya kecks like,i love the replacements,who did exactly that....
Back to top Go down
Pete

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am

I used to get all technical and stuff about a favourite band of mind - was never happy unless everything was just right - some nights would be technically glitched, other nights they were on fire.

I realised I've just got to get the right balance of beer intake right now - too much and you forget the show, not enough, and I get over fussy, but just right and I enjoy the show and seem to miss/tolerate all the wee problems - in fact, seriously, it what makes live all about for me.

The best thing for me about CO at this stage are that you can see them at gigs where you don't have to be right up front to see the whites of their eyes, and can stand far enough back to let the music breath ie. for me, just between TAC and the mix desk.

Of course its differant for Graeme - he needs to be close enough to see under TAC's skirt to see what knickers she's wearing - just for the official review mind Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'd like them to be successful enough to make a long career out of this, but would hate to see them playing large enormodomes.

Pete
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.TheSunOnHisBack.com
graeme
Admin

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 am

hahahaha...how dare you,erm just for the record,its either a playtex girdle or nowt dependin on her mood............i`m with you about the venues,i would not like to see them play anywhere bigger than leamington.....but not as small as jabez clegg.....for me ideally it would be somewhere like the lowry....i said as much to carey in 2006...my friend went to see prefab sprout on the jordan the comeback tour...he said they sounded great,exactly like the record...for me i like it to be human,its probably why i am a fan of shack as well as the mats...........but anyways gettin off subject we are gettin nearer to 1,000 posts,which is nice..............
Back to top Go down
matty75

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Personally I thought Paris was a really good show, OK the technical side of things didn't run smoothly but I thought the crowd were spot on - really enthusiastic. Its the first show I've been to on Foreign shores (thats any band not just CO) and I was interested in seeing the dynamic of the CO crowd.

Been to Paris a good few times over the years and have a bit of a love hate relationship with the place and the people (with the perceived coolness etc)...but the so called cool and reserved nature of the Parisienne folk did not apply to the CO crowd over there.

The level of enthusiasm, support and involvement was tremendous. They got behind the band when they were struggling, and helped them turn the show around. A lot of UK audiences would have been huffing and puffing, showing frustration with the bands and venues problems on the night, with the potential to heap more pressure on the band ending in a very average night.

All I can say is respect to the French CO fans, the atmosphere and enthusiam at the show really suprised me....its great when an audience get behind the band and help them out...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: give paris one more chance   

Back to top Go down

give paris one more chance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1